G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ?

+10
pila
Dinomyte
thatfnthing
dynchel
dragons_lair59
driveit
Limey SE
alive 75
SSTOOLMAN
ant7377
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 3 Empty Re: Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ?

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Ok hooked the tank up and cranked it over . Started second try which I was happy about . I could only run it for a few minutes as I was going out . Hesitated a bit when I gave it some gas and lots of white smoke . Is the smoke normal ? It didn't smoke when I ran it the first time yfrom the gas can in the video I posted
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 3 Empty Re: Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ?

Post by 77mali Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Did you use a gas additive?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Not at first then I shut it off and added some Lucas fuel treatment
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:19 pm

White smoke is typically water vapor -- typical for a car that's sat a while. Should burn off relatively quickly.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:30 pm

thatfnthing wrote:White smoke is typically water vapor -- typical for a car that's sat a while.  Should burn off relatively quickly.

Yea that's what I thought . I just done understand why it didn't do it last week
When I first started it using the gas can going to the fuel pump
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:27 am

White smoke may be valve seals, it's oil that's come down while the engines been off. As there was likely very little oil up therefor the last 6-7 years and it got there after you fired her up for the first time.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:44 am

Bring her up to temp- it may also be not enough gas for the amount of additive you added.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:06 am

White smoke from condensation will dissipate quickly into the air.

White smoke that hangs around and moves with the air is antifreeze leaking into the combustion chamber. Cracked head gasket, intake manifold gasket, etc.

Blue smoke is always oil entering the combustion chamber. That could happen through the valve seals (easy fix), bad valve guides, piston rings, or bad head gasket (which is unlikely).

White smoke = water
Blue smoke = oil
Black smoke = gas (running rich.

Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:21 am

Thanks guys . Any idea why it didn't do it that first time I started it ?
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:47 pm

It could also be smoke from a failed modulator on your transmission, getting trans oil sucked up the vacuum line from the modulator.  Changing the modulator, if it needs it, is simple & not very expensive, like 12 to 15 bucks.
If you pull the vacuum line off of the modulator, and there is oil in it, you found a problem.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:03 pm

pila wrote:It could also be smoke from a failed modulator on your transmission, getting trans oil sucked up the vacuum line from the modulator.  Changing the modulator, if it needs it, is simple & not very expensive, like 12 to 15 bucks.
If you pull the vacuum line off of the modulator, and there is oil in it, you found a problem.

Ok where is the modulator located ?
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Found the vacuum line and unplugged it . Plugged the manifold end and ran car but still smokes . There was a little oil on line going in . Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 3 C80EF725-29C5-4921-B599-035E9D045578_zpsr6khxnab
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:40 pm

If there was a "little" oil in the line, the modulator is history.  Even if it's not the source of the smoke, it needs to be replaced.  There is just screw holding it into the right rear of a TH350 transmission, and the vacuum line, and even the TH400 has one back there.
After a leak in the modulator gets really bad, the trans wont shift right.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:43 pm

pila wrote:If there was a "little" oil in the line, the modulator is history.  Even if it's not the source of the smoke, it needs to be replaced.  There is just screw holding it into the right rear of a TH350 transmission, and the vacuum line, and even the TH400 has one back there.

Ok thanks I'll be replacing it for sure
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:20 pm

pila wrote:If there was a "little" oil in the line, the modulator is history.  Even if it's not the source of the smoke, it needs to be replaced.  There is just screw holding it into the right rear of a TH350 transmission, and the vacuum line, and even the TH400 has one back there.

Is this the part ?

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 3 5A34B8D0-56AD-4638-89E3-4AB07CA26ED9_zpsbj0k1pzc
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Yep the one with a vacuum hose going into it
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Wallyuph wrote:Yep the one with a vacuum hose going into it

And it's just a simple job of swapping them out right , no trick to it ?
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Roger that
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Ok new one is in . The old one did have a little oil coming out when I pulled the vacuum line off , only a couple stops though . Guess that's enough .not sure if that's gonna cure my smoke problem but we 'll see .
Thanks again for the help

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 3 D4524A7C-187F-4778-B08D-0C7A861AFF32_zpstm1gi5ul
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Did you swap the oil out already? The smoke could be from just sitting, I was wondering too if there was not enough gas to mix properly w/ the additive you put in. Sometimes that makes smoke as the deposits on the carb & in the vacuum lines clear out a little.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:44 pm

77mali wrote:Did you swap the oil out already?  The smoke could be from just sitting, I was wondering too if there was not enough gas to mix properly w/ the additive you put in.  Sometimes that makes smoke as the deposits on the carb & in the vacuum lines clear out a little.

Yea changed the oil out straight away before I started it . I've added more
Gas to the tank incase it wasn't enough . I guess all together on and off I've had the car running for over an hour and it's still as bad as when it started . It's looking more likely that I'm going in the engine .
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Ok after running the car for 20 minutes I checked the spark plugs and they had oil on them , even on the threads
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:51 pm

What color smoke do you have now??  Blue I assume since there's oil on the plugs? How many miles on the engine??
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Joe73 wrote:What color smoke do you have now??  Blue I assume since there's oil on the plugs?  How many miles on the engine??

Yea a blue/white maybe (sucks to be color blind) . 144,000 miles on the car
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:23 pm

I say time for a compression check. Have a pump squirt oil can handy. Warm up the engine.
1. Disconnect the power lead from the dizzy and pull all the plugs.
2. Grab a piece of paper and pen and get a compr. reading on a cylinder.
3. Then give 2 or 3 squirts of oil into the same cylinder and take a reading.
4. Write down your numbers before and after the squirt on each cyl.
5. Do that to all the cylinders.

If your compression reading goes up after squirting some oil in there, then your rings are worn. If not, then you need some new valve guide seals which is a pretty easy job.

Post up your results and we'll go from there.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next