G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ?

+10
pila
Dinomyte
thatfnthing
dynchel
dragons_lair59
driveit
Limey SE
alive 75
SSTOOLMAN
ant7377
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? Empty Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ?

Post by magic marouke Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:42 am

Ok I'm hopefully buying a 73 caprice this week but it's. Been sitting
Under a carport for 6 years . Will try and start it first if not I'll borrow a
Trailer . Hoping the brakes aren't seized up . Owner said it was running
Fine when it was parked up . Will check all the fluids , take spark plugs out
And pour a little marvel mystery oil in and hopefully turn the crank ( should I let this little bit of oil settle in there a day or so or try starting after a few minutes ?)

Getting a new battery and have gas to put down the carb . Starting fluid at a last
Resort . Will empty the old gas out once I get it home .
Can anyone think if anything else I can do to get It to fire up ?
Thanks guys
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? Empty Re: Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ?

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:56 am

I wouldnt rush it.  Trailer it home.  Shoot some marvel mystery in the plugs, dump the oil and filter.  Fill the filter best you can before you reinstall the new one.  New battery of course.  And best bet would be to to mark and pull the distributor and prime the pump.  Then you'll have oil pressure in the whole system before you try to start it.  
As for the fuel system, you could disconnect the line from the tank to the pump and blow air into it to clear it.  Then reconnect it to the pump and put a hose on the tank end and then into a container of gas.  Just so you dont suck stuff up from the tank.  Then disconnect the line from the carb to the pump, blow it out and reconnect.  
Then try to start her up.  Do the marvel in the plugs first, so it has time to sit.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? Empty Re: Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ?

Post by pila Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Good advice from Joe.......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:48 pm

I agree good advice, the gas is probably gum by now.  

In addition to the above, you may want to remove the valve covers and observe the valve train assembly as you turn the engine w/ the plugs out, while you're hitting the plug holes/combustion chambers with Mystery oil.  If you have any really thick build up- get some Seafoam spray & clean the springs, rockers, etc and let that crap drain to the pan before you change out the old oil.  Check your plug wires, take a peek under the distributor cap & check to see if everything looks ok with the contact points as well as the dist. coil.  I would also bet that the carb is all gummed up & possibly the line going in (if it's a carb).  Maybe remove the carb, spray it out w/ cleaner as well & replace the gasket to the intake while you're there.

Like Joe said, don't rush it.  What year Caprice?  Any pics?.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:35 pm

I decided not to mess with it until I trailer it home , assuming I get the car . Still waiting on a a family member of the owner to sort things out .
Will replace all fluids , filters , cap anyway and take the tank off and clean it out . I'll get some pics up soon , watch this space
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:40 pm

I got an old t-bird running for a friend a few years ago,it sat for 20 years in a garage. I did all the above mentioned and blew out the fuel line and put a cheap in line filter before the pump,you should have see all the crap it picked up. DOnt go out and drive the snot out of it right away,get it warm a few times and drive it easy so you get everything freed up again.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? 934D7E3F-95D4-497F-B37F-5166BF74EBA4_zpshcjnlr9s

Last edited by magic marouke on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? CC1F769A-1D74-40F8-859F-0BC40156F7D8_zpsy9jegtzm

magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:50 pm

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? 27CE70B9-24E2-4D12-921A-7D0B2E7E4BEC_zpsytozc09v
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Some TLC will make that a great road cruiser ! Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Nice!  
Good luck, hope things get sorted....lemme know if you wanna sell the Monte for restoration money for the Caprice
lol!

Is the truck for sale too?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:14 pm

So cool! Its got the skirts too,my cousin had one when I was a kid dark green with a black top.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:00 am

77mali , I'll ask about the truck if your really interested
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:42 am

I was just curious about it. Looks like early 60's- pretty cool looking.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:23 am

Same owner as the car so I know it's been sitting for at least. 6 years , I didn't check the tag
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Back in 1982 I bought the 2 door verson of this car, 350 2bbl, posi, summer bias ply tires. Picked  it up for a winter beater. It was great in the Wisconsin snow.
Paid $75 with a half tank of gas. I Hit a small deer with it and the only damage was a cracked headlight and bent trim ring. NICE riding car.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by alive 75 Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:08 pm

that is a nice caprice, a lot of potential there.... i had a 72 impala back in 85, it was black with ss cragar rims and BFGoodrich had a 350 2 bbl..
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:08 am

I'm still waiting on a phone call about the car . Owner is in a nursing home so the kids are taking care of his stuff . Y'all keep your fingers crossed for me please .
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:00 am

Now, the real question. Since you did the Monte in record time, how long to restore this one? 15 minutes? No, wait, it's a four door, so it's more work. Half an hour? Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:14 pm

thatfnthing wrote:Now, the real question. Since you did the Monte in record time, how long to restore this one?  15 minutes?  No, wait, it's a four door, so it's more work.  Half an hour? Smile

Haha good one . Actually I'm probably gonna just drive this
One as it is right now . It needs a new top or taking off all together .
Paint is faded and flakey but i don't mind for now . Not making to many plans
Right now until I get it
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Update . I've been told the keys and title are in
The mail ! Still not counting my chickens until the deal has been done , you guys know how that goes .
I'm hoping the brakes aren't seized up when I go to put it on the trailer . If they are any ideas how to get the beast rolling ?
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:26 am

Good luck. Awesome car. It used to be that I was not a fan of four doors. I am a dad now and they are more convenient, but there is just something about taking a 4 door and making it cool. Love it!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:59 pm

driveit wrote:Good luck.  Awesome car.  It used to be that I was not a fan of four doors.  I am a dad now and they are more convenient, but there is just something about taking a 4 door and making it cool.  Love it!

Yea I've never had a four door myself but really like these .
The $400 price tag is what I really like about it
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Oh heck yeah! Look what I just found. Not sure if it is exactly the same or not.
Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? Impala_jeff_sanem
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? 1973-impala-4door-hardtop-12

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? 1973-impala-4door-hardtop-z11
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next