G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ?

+10
pila
Dinomyte
thatfnthing
dynchel
dragons_lair59
driveit
Limey SE
alive 75
SSTOOLMAN
ant7377
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ?

Post by driveit Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:18 pm

I like that one too. The one I found was not a 73. Just noticed the difference after you posted that one. I'm seeing candy apply red!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ?

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 2 20131117_113352_zpszpjyk0kq

dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 2 20130810_172942_zps7c5e259f
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Well I just got the title and keys so it's all mine .
Going over at lunch time to see if it rolls ok . If so I plan to trailer it home after work
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:51 pm

driveit wrote:Oh heck yeah!  Look what I just found.  Not sure if it is exactly the same or not.
Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 2 Impala_jeff_sanem

This is a '71...my favorite of this body style.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:53 pm

dragons_lair59 wrote:Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 2 20131117_113352_zpszpjyk0kq

Top pic is a '73...bottom is a '72.  I always loved these cars.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 pm

magic marouke wrote:Well I just got the title and keys so it's all mine .
Going over at lunch time to see if it rolls ok . If so I plan to trailer it home after work
Congrats, nice score. Thumbs up 
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:02 pm

magic marouke wrote:Well I just got the title and keys so it's all mine .

Congrats!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks I'll let you know how it goes and you know they'll be pics (-:
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 2 F396954F-FDB9-4B6C-BF1E-9CD6D6889EF9_zpsgakqe8nbGot it home last night no problems

Last edited by magic marouke on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 2 575B49ED-40EC-4969-9F75-6D6FA9A5AB34_zpsrgm7iy4g
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:45 pm

This is were she'll sit for the next couple weeks while I work on getting it running

Any tips for starting engine after 6 years ? - Page 2 EF663FA8-2CE2-485D-9DEC-96EF6EA72463_zps4iizje1m
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm sure you saved that car a horrible fate.    Around here those all become derby cars or worse donks. donotcare
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:00 pm

At least donks can be brought back to normal. There's no saving a derby car, though. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Yea once a cars been donked it's kinda scared for life . I also hate seeing them like that and the poor cars have no say in it , sigh!
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Ok looks like all my pics have gone from my posts . I have been having some photobucket issues so that's probably why. . Took out the tank and cleaned it out and blew the fuel lines out , all seemed ok. Hopefully putting everything back together tomorrow night . I've never ran out of gas so I'm assuming after filling up with gas I pour a little in the carb , replace aid cleaner and crank away ?
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:41 am

I would also disconnect the fuel line from the car & fill that up if it doesn't have gas. Don't forget to replace your inline gas filter. Good luck!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:03 am

77mali wrote:I would also disconnect the fuel line from the car & fill that up if it doesn't have gas.  Don't forget to replace your inline gas filter.  Good luck!

You think I need an inline filter as well as the one going in
The front of the carb ? Looks like I'll have to put gas in the fuel line ( somehow) at the gas
Tank end as the line us pointing slightly downward before going along the length of the car
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:21 am

I have one on the supply line before the carb, cheap insurance.  If you have a 3/8" fuel line you can usually get a small funnel to fit into it and just pour some gas into a small open container, like a empty glass pasta sauce jar or something similar.  I assume you have a mechanical fuel pump so it will draw the gas up into itself just fine but you'll want to eliminate as much air in the line as possible, so you get it going on the 1st crank...just my $0.02.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 am

Take the line off going to the carb. Put a scrap piece of hose on it and into a bottle or bucket. Then go back to tank and blow some air into the tank. You can get enough pressure just by holding your hand over the fill tube with compressed air lower in the tank. Its nice if you can have someone else tell you when they see the fuel come out then let go of tank and all air comes out. I have done this many times it flushes the line out and gets fuel all the way up to carb area. Then hook line up and crank away.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:20 am

I have the metal line going from the pump to the carb so I guess I can put one on the rubber line just before the pump ? I've blown any crud out the fuel line so I suppose I could put a bung at the end that connects to the tank, pour gas down the line from the pump end filling the line with gas . Then hook up all three gas tank lines and try starting it . That way there's mostly gas in the fuel line before I crank it . Does that sound right ? I started the car last week with a jug of gas and a tube going to the gas pump and started no problem . Just had to take tank out to clean inside . Sorry for all the questions . First time doing this .
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:20 pm

magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:26 pm

magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Atta boy!  Careful, get that gas can outta the engine bay though. Blow Up

Sounds very decent too.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 pm

77mali wrote:Atta boy!  Careful, get that gas can outta the engine bay though. Blow Up

Sounds very decent too.

thats ok it was wedged in there plus i strapped it to the hood hinge . not bad coming to life after all those years
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next