G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

triple gauge kit - any advice?

+6
Hs1973
Joe73
Limey SE
chevellelaguna
ant7377
Hawk03
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

triple gauge kit - any advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: triple gauge kit - any advice?

Post by Hs1973 Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:00 pm

We have the same laws here in Denmark. But we go about it by making the mods or repairs look as close to factory as possible. The good thing is that here only few people know how us cars look underneath when they where new. So as long as it looks factory, no one askes questions at inspection. And If they do i just act stupid. That usually works just fine. Anyway i have had like 10 elcaminos and some chevelles. 10 73-77 and a 79 and all have had double humb crossmembers. Was that standart on export cars or was i just lucky?

Anyways i always go for things to look factory, so i would not mount any gauges unless i could make it look like it has always been there. Im sorry but to me the 3 gauge setup under the dash, kind of looks like the originals stopped working and i dident care enough to fix it right.

I could maybe live with them mounted where the clock used to go. But i would any day go for the original round setup and make it work like it did when new. Of course im not aware how hard it would be to find a complete round gauge setup. But i know its not that hard to change out. I did it in mine as i had a setup on the shelves. I did however switch the clock for a oil pressure Unit and the amp one for a volts. But it looks and works like it always has been there.

As for the crossmember, it would not be that hard to make one looking like a factory piece. But it would take some time. But that is satisfying to know you did it right and no one knows it was you.
Just my 2 cents. Of course it is your car and what ever makes you happy.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

triple gauge kit - any advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: triple gauge kit - any advice?

Post by 76malibu Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Here is a small update on the "gauge upgrade" project:
You may have trouble finding 1/8 NTP fittings (in copper brass), depending where you are.
For me auto parts stores and hydraulic shops are of no help. A samaritan told me to ask a truck shop (Freightliner in my case).
Here it is, they have everything you want, in stock!!!

They use it for air lines I guess. If you are like me, only truck shops can sell you this in town. Otherwise prepare for online purchases (5$ of hardware and 15$ of shipping  Laughing)
triple gauge kit - any advice? - Page 2 Img_2010

Last edited by 76malibu on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
76malibu
76malibu
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:51 pm

I used the little gauges, but checked the oil pressure gauge against a master calibrated unit, and the little gauge was around 3lbs off. Close enough for the girls I date !! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 76malibu Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:07 pm

Hs1973 wrote:We have the same laws here in Denmark. But we go about it by making the mods or repairs look as close to factory as possible. The good thing is that here only few people know how us cars look underneath when they where new. So as long as it looks factory, no one askes questions at inspection. And If they do i just act stupid. That usually works just fine. Anyway i have had like 10 elcaminos and some chevelles. 10 73-77 and a 79 and all have had double humb crossmembers. Was that standart on export cars or was i just lucky?

Anyways i always go for things to look factory, so i would not mount any gauges unless i could make it look like it has always been there. Im sorry but to me the 3 gauge setup under the dash, kind of looks like the originals stopped working and i dident care enough to fix it right.

I could maybe live with them mounted where the clock used to go. But i would any day go for the original round setup and make it work like it did when new. Of course im not aware how hard it would be to find a complete round gauge setup. But i know its not that hard to change out. I did it in mine as i had a setup on the shelves. I did however switch the clock for a oil pressure Unit and the amp one for a volts. But it looks and works like it always has been there.

As for the crossmember, it would not be that hard to make one looking like a factory piece. But it would take some time. But that is satisfying to know you did it right and no one knows it was you.
Just my 2 cents. Of course it is your car and what ever makes you happy.
Yes Hs1973, that may be the way to go: making changes as close to factory as possible. And hopefully avoid problems during inspections in a state with strict regulations.
Looking at elcamino crossmembers is a pretty good idea Smile
76malibu
76malibu
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76malibu Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:12 pm

pila wrote:I used the little gauges, but checked the oil pressure gauge against a master calibrated unit, and the little gauge was around 3lbs off.  Close enough for the girls I date !! Very Happy
Thanks for the info Pila. I guess it is the tradeoff for such a cheap gauge cluster. It is good enough for me Smile
76malibu
76malibu
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:17 am

Joe73 wrote:5 bucks ???  Cheap gauges but 1 1/2" would fit in that clock space nicely.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sun-cp8092/overview/
Those look like what I have.  I cashed in my auto zone rewards & paid $5.00 out of pocket for them.  I put mine where the drivers side a/c vent would have been.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:01 am

76malibu wrote:Here is a small update on the "gauge upgrade" project:
You may have trouble finding 1/8 NTP fittings (in copper), depending where you are.
For me auto parts stores and hydraulic shops are of no help. A samaritan told me to ask a truck shop (Freightliner in my case).
Here it is, they have everything you want, in stock!!!

They use it for air lines I guess. If you are like me, only truck shops can sell you this in town. Otherwise prepare for online purchases (5$ of hardware and 15$ of shipping  Laughing)

I guess we're lucky around here in that respect at least -- brass fittings like those (and many others) are just a quick jaunt to Lowes or Home Depot away.

Not sure you'd want them in copper anyway -- copper accelerates corrosion in ferrous metals. That's why you have to use galvanized, coated or stainless fasteners for your pressure-treated deck.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 76malibu Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:03 am

thatfnthing wrote:I guess we're lucky around here in that respect at least -- brass fittings like those (and many others) are just a quick jaunt to Lowes or Home Depot away.

Not sure you'd want them in copper anyway -- copper accelerates corrosion in ferrous metals.  That's why you have to use galvanized, coated or stainless fasteners for your pressure-treated deck.
Mmh ... I am not knowledgeable enough on this subject. At the shop they said "cop fitting" so I assumed it was copper, but it may rather be brass (the color is more yellow than orange).
I have seen the same kind of fittings for Diesel and Oil lines on a old Massey-Ferguson tractor. That should be okay (hopefully).
triple gauge kit - any advice? - Page 2 Img_2011
76malibu
76malibu
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:15 am

The ones near the top of that photo all appear to be brass, which is pretty common. Copper is also a very soft metal -- it won't stand up to much wrenching like brass will.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2