G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Factory am/fm

2 posters

Go down

Factory am/fm Empty Factory am/fm

Post by 77camino Sat May 04, 2024 11:15 pm

While getting my factory radios out to post pictures in joe73’s post, It  got me thinking that I should get this am/fm cleaned up and install it in my El Camino. This vehicle has had a aftermarket stereo since I bought it 20+ years ago. I want to check out the am/fm before I install it. Back in the 80’s I worked in the automotive department at Walmart and we hooked up many cheap stereos to a deep cycle battery for a working display.  Is there any reason not to just hook up this factory radio to a power source and a couple of speakers. I got the radio from a box full of extra parts in the back seat of a very nice junk Malibu(should have not been junked). I also have not looked under the dash yet to see if they cut the factory plug, but I’m sure they probably did. Does anyone know if a replacement radio plug is available?Factory am/fm Img_3714
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Factory am/fm Empty Re: Factory am/fm

Post by Joe73 Sun May 05, 2024 6:22 am

I dont see any reason to not hook up the radio to a 12v source and some speakers. Ive done that in my old garage. Ive seen auto shops with the same setups. But for a permanent shop install, Id recommend boxes for the speakers for better sound.

As for the plugs, Ive seen factory gm radio plugs being sold on ebay quite a few times. I did a quick search and came up with these. Pricey, but Id keep looking around. https://www.ebay.com/itm/353833817738
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down