G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need advice from those that lowered

+5
michiganlarry
Hawk03
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
chevellelaguna
Damon23
9 posters

Go down

Need advice from those that lowered Empty Need advice from those that lowered

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:12 pm

The plan is to go with 17x9 rally on all four corners with 285 40s.
Basically I'm ripping off G3Nuts set up because I LOVE the way his car sat.

https://www.g3gm.com/t9344-1973-laguna-big-block-4-speed

Need advice from those that lowered Right_10

Need advice from those that lowered Black_10

If I drop the height to match his, it'll be 2 inches in the back and 1 1/2 up front.

My question is:
How much will that change the way she rides?
I really like the ride of these cars, especially on the interstate.
That being said, I don't like the way it rolls in hards turns.

So if I'm bringing it down a little, I''m curious as to how much harsher the rides gets.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Need advice from those that lowered Empty Re: Need advice from those that lowered

Post by Damon23 Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:48 pm

How did he lower it? It was never mentioned. Only thing I can say is match your shocks to your drop. Mine has impala Ss springs with stock shocks and its soft. I plan on bringing it down in the rear a little more and replace the shocks and that's it. I'm going with that same wheel and tire set up on mine.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Need advice from those that lowered Empty Re: Need advice from those that lowered

Post by Hawk03 Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:08 pm

I installed Belltech 2" lowering springs on all 4. The rear was too soft so I replaced them with stock AC Delco shocks (only ones that would ship fast). It looks okay but I want it a tad lower in the rear and plan on installing something else. I have 18 x 8 in front and 18 x 9.5 in the rear. I think the car rides great and so much better than stock. A lot will depend on the type of spring, progressive vs constant and the type of shocks you install.  

Need advice from those that lowered 20161011

Need advice from those that lowered 20161012

Belltechs all around
Need advice from those that lowered New_ma10

Last edited by Hawk03 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added additional pic)
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:59 pm

Nice, Hawk.

I'm digging through here as well...

https://www.g3gm.com/t6388-dse-lowering-springs-thoughts
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I lowered mine significantly in the front and back. I cut the coils for the front, a floor jack no longer fits under the front crossmember. I have 295/60-16 on the rear and 265/60-16's on the front to get a good alignment on the car I had to heavily ship the upper cross shaft. No one made an offset one at the time. The car tracks straight handles extremely well in turns. Has great steering returnability, ground clearance is horrible, no chance of driv over a speed bump. The lower balljoint wears quicker than at regular ride height. I boxed the upper and lower control arms, installed poly bushings, the ride is a little rough, but smooths out at higher speeds.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Nice, Hawk.

I'm digging through here as well...

https://www.g3gm.com/t6388-dse-lowering-springs-thoughts

Thanks! I added a couple more pics to show the stance a little better with the rear Belltechs installed and the updated rear springs. I'd like to go about an 1" lower in the rear.

That's a good reference thread. I installed KYB shocks on around all 4, a little stiffer up front and a little softer in the rear. I do have the Belltech lowering shocks for the rear which I will probably install once I figure out which rear spring to go with.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:35 am

Belltechs 2 inch drop all the way around.

Need advice from those that lowered Craigs11

Need advice from those that lowered Craigs10

Need advice from those that lowered 20160810
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:30 am

g3chevy wrote:Belltechs 2 inch drop all the way around.

Your drop looks so much better than mine. I changed out the springs before I installed the new wheels, not sure if the rallys made the rear look lower.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:09 pm

We used Detroit Speed 2" drop springs all the way around. Love the stance now.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:43 pm

I used 2 " drop springs in the front and gas a just shocks front and rear. Rear springs are Stock, i have no problem with the ride Being harsh in any Way. But i cant put a floor Jack under the front cross member and i have killed the paint on it from speed bumbs. I plan on installing a rear swaybar to make it Roll less when cornering.

It still has a Nice ride without Being to soft or to rough. I have not put lowering springs in the back yet, i Might not at all but im considering changing the fronts to a 1 " drop cause i Think its to low. And the constant problem with speed bumbs, and the fact that i cant fit my Jack under it is annoying.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:00 pm

I've been pretty happy with the DSE's and Belltech drop shocks at all four corners. Ride is firm but not harsh, handles well. 'Reasonable' speed bumps and driveways are doable, but I too am unable to fit a standard floor jack under the crossmember. A low-profile racing-type jack should work, though.

thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 pm

They look damn good @ 2 inches, don't they?

I'm not overly concerned about speed bumps etc, I just don't want to feel like I'm riding around in a salt shaker.

Decades ago (80s, damn I'm old) we would cut the springs (77 Grand Prix, 77 Caprice and a 73 Impala-all on 15s which were considered UGE at the time) and the car would beat the hell out of everybody.  Don't even get me going on trying to cross railroad tracks. But we probably cut them too much considering the smaller wheels of the time.

I don't want to replay those days.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:34 pm

My black chevelle I used dse 2 inch drop front springs and opgi 2 inch drop rear springs with edelbrock shocks on all 4 corners. I'm not going to lie it had a very stiff ride but it did drive like it was on rails.
The car also had oversized sway bars front and rear and poly bushings.
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by G3NUT Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:23 pm

My blue one has 2 inch drop spindles with stock height springs and qa1 coilovers in the rear but with stock bushings. it has a much softer ride.

[img]Need advice from those that lowered 73_che10[/img]
G3NUT
G3NUT
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Glad you chimed in since I'm stealing your ideas. Embarassed

Thats good info on the blue one. That sounds more like what I want to do, lower it with 17s, but keep the ride from getting too rough.

Thanks
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down