G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carpet question

+7
driveit
KC77Monte
Mcarlo77
SSTOOLMAN
Joe73
pila
ant7377
11 posters

Go down

Carpet question Empty Carpet question

Post by KC77Monte Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Spending the weekend stripping the interior getting ready for new carpet. Anybody bought new carpet lately and can point me to a place to purchase it. I know there's tons of places out there, but would like to hear the thoughts of those who recently have purchased some on where they bought and the quality of the carpet. Thanks........
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Carpet question Empty Re: Carpet question

Post by 77mali Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Stock Interiors has them & they're the correct fabric, both 2 piece & single piece carpets.  A 2 piece is not correct for my '77 but I'm thinking it may be easier to install and the seam is hidden by the bench seat.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=353&ModelId=81&MakeId=5
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:26 pm

It seems to help if the new carpet is laid out flat for a bit after taking it out of the shipping box.  Better yet if it lays in the sun for a bit, but sun iss getting scarce in most areas now Very Happy
A hair dryer with low heat on the bottom side of the creases & wrinkles  helps a bit also.

Mine came from NPD...1 piece type..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Start from the back and work your way forward. I got mine from OPGI fit like crap and supposed to be a 2 piece which it was not. Yours is supposed to be 1 piece. Take your time.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:37 pm

77mali wrote:Stock Interiors has them & they're the correct fabric, both 2 piece & single piece carpets.  A 2 piece is not correct for my '77 but I'm thinking it may be easier to install and the seam is hidden by the bench seat.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=353&ModelId=81&MakeId=5

Thanks, I'll check them out.
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:19 am

I forget what year they went from the loop type to cut pile, but I went with cut pile on both of mine, a '74 &'75. I like the cut pile better and I'm not concerned with originality etc..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:44 am

I believe 73 is the only loop carpet year. Cut pile is much nicer anyway.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:20 am

77mali wrote:I believe 73 is the only loop carpet year.  Cut pile is much nicer anyway            
My '74 has the loop carpet.  IIRC they list '73/'75 for loop, and '76/'77 for cut pile.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:30 am

Just fyi. Ive also seen carpets on ebay for with and without 4 speeds.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:02 am

I bought the ultra cut pile from Stock interiors last summer, its very nice. Its well worth the extra $60. I had them send out samples first, I got them in 2 days and it made my decision much easier.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:05 am

What makes it "ultra" vs their std cut pile? Does a person want to also order the attached padding they show as an option?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:08 am

I'm gonna guess that 'ultra' has a higher fiber count. I'm probably gonna try these guys next time, since my OPGI carpet doesn't fit all that well and is 4 inches too short.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:12 am

I'm guessing that too...but, does that mean their std cut pile isn't original factory grade carpeting?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:11 am

SSTOOLMAN wrote:I bought the ultra cut  pile from Stock interiors last summer, its very nice. Its well worth the extra $60. I had them send out samples first, I got them in 2 days and it made my decision much easier.

Yeah had them send me some samples as well. Your right, it does help when you can see what your getting.
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 am

I have some kind of flat carpet black carpet that a friend gave me.  He worked for a company that was making it.  Is enough to do the floor of two cars I think at least, but it is not molded at all. I was planning to try using it.  Don't know how well it would work.  It looks nice and was free.  It looks like the stuff you see in new cars.  Don't have a clue what it is though.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:35 am

driveit wrote:I have some kind of flat carpet black carpet that a friend gave me.  He worked for a company that was making it.  Is enough to do the floor of two cars I think at least, but it is not molded at all. I was planning to try using it.  Don't know how well it would work.  It looks nice and was free.  It looks like the stuff you see in new cars.  Don't have a clue what it is though.

I used a flat remnant once from a carpet store (maroon to match the paint, contrasted well with the black interior), but it will take some work.  You will need a sharp carpet knife (or razor), carpet tape, and a heat source to melt the glue on the tape.  The main issue you will hit is in every corner of the front and rear floor pans, the corners will kink in -- you will have to slice out the extra and glue the ends back together with the tape.

Last edited by thatfnthing on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:35 am

driveit wrote:I have some kind of flat carpet black carpet that a friend gave me.  He worked for a company that was making it.  Is enough to do the floor of two cars I think at least, but it is not molded at all. I was planning to try using it.  Don't know how well it would work.  It looks nice and was free.  It looks like the stuff you see in new cars.  Don't have a clue what it is though.
I had a beater '77 regal that someone had used house carpet, and it looked ok.  I'm not sure as to how they did it, but it fit the floor contours well.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Maybe it is the 76 & 77 that has the good rugs. I could have sworn that it was 73 only. In any case the loop is -Meh. Had them send samples of both some time ago. Unless you want an absolutely factory correct car I'd get the cut pile, it's real nice.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:What makes it "ultra" vs their std cut pile?  Does a person want to also order the attached padding they show as an option?

Its more dense in the fibers. it will help for sound deadening also. I used to get my carpet sets from Auto Custom carpets.
http://www.accmats.com/Products/Flooring/Material.aspx

What is Essex and how is it different than standard Cutpile?
This carpet is a super plush upgrade to our standard Cut Pile. Standard Cutpile is ¼ inch high whereas Essex is 3/8 inch high. It gives your interior a plush, luxurious interior. Essex can be specified for just about any model vehicle. It is made from 100% nylon cut pile carpet manufactured with over 40% more nylon fiber than our standard Cut Pile. It is dyed using the finest dyes available and tested for ozone humidity fading & light fastness. It comes in 76" widths & can be rubber latex or polyethylene backed.

The Essex is really thick you will have a hard time getting the Kick panels and "Fisher" step plates installed as its so dense. There regular carpet is what I used mostly.
The Poly back is a lightweight polyethylene adding moldability. Latex is a soft ethylene compound that adds body and flexibility to carpet. The poly will hold the mold they press them in better and if you need to get it to bend our push in more use a commercial steamer and heat it up then put some weight on it tell it cools. I also order extra yardage to make floor mats or line trunk at same time so dye lot will match.

Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down