G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

carpet

+3
texan01
alleyball4
dynchel
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

carpet Empty carpet

Post by pila Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:48 pm

I finally have the carpet in stalled in my Elco project. I kinda forgot how much work it is the get it fitted and trimmed. The hood release cable has to get fished through the left kick panel of course, and the grommet it the firewall is almost impossible to get to after the cable is through the hole. Good thing I'm stubborn as hell or it wouldn't get done.
So the interior is close to being done. Still have to screw the sun visors in place. The new sill/scuff plates are a problem. NPD shipped two R/H plates instead of a R & L....so those have to go back in order for NPD to ship a correct pair.
I want to put a smoke tint on the back window yet. Haven't ever done that before.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

carpet Empty Re: carpet

Post by 77mali Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Well it's about time...I've been waiting like 6 months for you to post a picture burning rubber. (I'm one to talk, right?)

Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Don't hold your breath waiting for a burn out !! This project is quite a way from being finished !
There's a local car show scheduled near here, a small one in a small town, in Coleman Michigan. Anyway, it's on June 7th & 8th. Two guys from the Elco forum will be there, but my Elco sure wont be done by that time, so I'll take my '74 Malibu instead.
I don't plan on any burn outs with that one though. Very Happy The idea of having 255s on the rear was for traction without noise !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 pm

My car won't be "Finished" then either but I'm at least hoping that the darn thing will be able to at least be driven around in or at the very least be able to move around on the homestead. Very Happy

You're way ahead of me! LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Maybe not....! I have to buy about 400 bucks worth of paint & supplies yet !! And then 5 new tires, two stainless steel mufflers, stainless tail pipes, and.....well, you know Very Happy
At least the interior is almost together...... Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:10 pm

I just installed the sun visors finally. I wasn't exactly sure where to punch through the new headliner without messing it up, so I took a couple pictures of where they are located in the Malibu, and found the correct location.
My next move is the weather strips on the doors & roof rail, and the outer window felts. Luckily I bought pairs of GM NOS inner & outer window felts some years back.
I still need a dash cap. I have one in the Malibu, which turned out quite good.

Here's the dash on the Malibu which is the same color etc.......
carpet P1011277_zpsf8dcbe99

I have the little triple gauges where the OEM clock used to be, same way in the El Camino.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Are those Stewart Warner gauges? They look right at home there.

I got a dash cap before I started restoring the dash pad in another manner. It really was terrible- the fit & finish of yours looks very good- do you remember where you got it? There are so many on the market it's hard to find a good quality one from the pics most vendors post of them. Mine was from Just Dashes...it was Just Awful! With inbound shipping costs- I might as well have tossed the $125.00 in my fireplace. No
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:52 pm

I did the same thing with my gauges except since i have a non a/c car I put them where the drivers side a/c went would be. There was a stupid little storage compartment there that always looked out of place. I do have to give props, pila i thought mine looked good, yours looks awesome.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:01 am

The little triple gauge panel is nothing special. I've been using them for years, where there's not much space or panel room for gauges. They are available at Advance auto, in black face or white face, for under 40 bucks.
This one has an ammeter, which is not easy to hook up, because of the #10 wire required, when tapping into the main feed wire from the starter. But the Elco project has a volt meter instead of an ammeter, which is easy to hook up of course.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:43 am

love it Pila .... what a great idea !!
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:54 am

pila wrote:The little triple gauge panel is nothing special. I've been using them for years, where there's not much space or panel room for gauges. They are available at Advance auto, in black face or white face, for under 40 bucks.
This one has an ammeter, which is not easy to hook up, because of the #10 wire required, when tapping into the main feed wire from the starter. But the Elco project has a volt meter instead of an ammeter, which is easy to hook up of course.

They looked like SW from a distance, lol. They make small ones too (a bit more money) but they have styles available that are reminiscent of the G3 cars.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Stewart Warner is sort of top of the line parts, and have been for nearly a century. I used a few Stewart Warner gauges in the last airplane I restored, and getting them approved by the FAA was not a problem, since they are OEM on some older airplanes. Approval is the name of the game in aviation, and that's why things are so expensive.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:31 pm

They really have some nice stuff. Maybe for a future build for me. If i can get through this one first. Laughing
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:01 pm

The little gauges are mounted on a panel that is the same size as the factory clock face panel, so it's reasonably easy to do, except maybe putting the holes in for the gauges. I use a fly-cutter in the drill press for holes up to over 3 inches. And a decent fly cutter is available ay Sears, and it's adjustable for diameter. The gauge panel :
carpet P1010664_zps45548a91

front:
carpet P1010663_zpsbfba4f74
I used aluminum sheet stock for the plate, since I have lots of it around.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Of course, it's what's up front that counts !!
carpet P1011025_zps68de546c

507 cubic inches of Caddy Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Bill I'm sorry to sound presumptuous (not my intent at all)

You have such a nice build there- why don't you start your own thread under project pictures in the forum & have all this good stuff in one place?

We're all diggin that Camino.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Ok Pila, did you have to notch the frame for clearance? We installed a 500 in a 78 Impala and had some clearance issues.

Looking great!

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi Texan. No, I didn't notch the frame. It's close clearance to the front suspension though. No room for headers. Not a problem for what I want though, which is a daily driver, with the hassle of headers. Thanks for the kind words !

77Mali, do you mean just a thread on the project ? I could do that OK. I have a project thread on the El Camino forum, that I started in 2009 !! Very Happy That thread has 24,563 views now.

Bill

Last edited by pila on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Post a link to that then. I'd like to check the forum out too. Thanks.

Last edited by 77mali on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm

OK.....
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/

My user name there is steelybill by the way...

Here's the photobucket link. I don't have as many pics of the Elco project as I did before though.
http://s561.beta.photobucket.com/user/steelybill/library/El%20Camino%20Restoration

Here's the Malibu link too
http://s561.beta.photobucket.com/user/steelybill/library/Malibu

Last edited by pila on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Cool. I'll be checking it out.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:53 pm

I forgot to mention that I installed the driver's side roof-rail weatherstrip today, but got too cold to do the other side. Maybe tomorrow...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Hey, I have the same cup holder thing on the floor in my Laguna! Wink Really though, you do some nice work Bill!
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks !
Today I installed the right side roof rail weather strip, and the door window felts on the top edge of the doors. Now I have to fool around with the window adjustments. Not my favorite job for sure, but I hate noisy/ leaky windows ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Well, NPD did it to me again. I had to ship the door sill scuff plates back, since the box had two R/H plates in it.
Today the "replacement ' box arrived, and it had the same parts the I just shipped back !!
I told them to just credit my card & I'll get a pair someplace else. silent

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next