G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carpet install question in 76 GP with console

5 posters

Go down

Carpet install question in 76 GP with console  Empty Carpet install question in 76 GP with console

Post by 76GP50thGA Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 am

My interior refurb is progressing now that I've located most interior parts to replace worn or broken parts with nice used parts. I've also installed the new carpet with the "mass backing" option which fit like a dream, well worth the extra few bucks. But, like an idiot when I removed the carpet a year ago I didn't note (or take pictures of how the carpet should be cut inside the console area. Does anyone have access to one to tell me or take a picture of how the carpet should be cut inside the console area particularly around the mounting locations, shifter mounting points and where the shifter cable comes though the floor? Is the carpet supposed to be cut out in this area completely? Next time I'll be less impatient and take pictures but I guess with my carpet being a rotted, tattered mess I was anxious to see it go right in the trash! BTW, I did check my factory assembly manual carpet installation section but unfortunately it doesn't provide this detail.
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Carpet install question in 76 GP with console  Empty Re: Carpet install question in 76 GP with console

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:51 pm

I don't have any usable pics for you at this time (could get some if you're willing to wait a couple weeks)...but, I do know for certain that the carpet wasn't completely removed under the console. I never paid much attention to how it was cut out when I was ripping out the console, belts and brackets (just did one last weekend...lol!) but, do recall the front mtg bracket and shift cable hole exposed. Guessing the rear mtg area was also...along with the area directly under the shifter. Hope this helps.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Carpet install question in 76 GP with console  Empty Re: Carpet install question in 76 GP with console

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 pm

When I replaced my carpet I just cut x's where the bolts come through. I didn't think it was necessary to cut the carpet open to install the console. I did however cut out a rectangle for the front console mounting bracket. Here's some pics for reference.

Carpet install question in 76 GP with console  Copy_o10
Carpet install question in 76 GP with console  76_el_11
Carpet install question in 76 GP with console  76_el_10
Carpet install question in 76 GP with console  76_el_12
Carpet install question in 76 GP with console  76_ss_10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:09 am

I did much the same as g3chevy, when I put my carpet in. X's where the bolts go, and just cut flaps around the console brackets to expose them, I think the front one I actually tucked the carpet under it, just because I could. The shifter and cable have yet to go in but they'll get the same treatment. Sorry can't find pictures.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 76GP50thGA Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks for the quick advice guys, I appreciate it. The new carpet makes a big difference in appearance already. I'm anxious to see my interior all put back together. The job is a little slower as I'm freshening the interior plastics while I'm at it with a fresh coat of interior dye. Definitely making a difference getting the plastics back to the same color with no sun fade, etc..
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76GP50thGA Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Ok, turns out with a little direction from you guys the console install was pretty easy. I just cut flaps like was suggested. One last detail and this job will be done and I can post pics. When I reinstall the rear seat lower seat cushion, do the lower "loops" sit on top of the carpet and the bolts with large washers go through the carpet?
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Actually, the carpet is notched out to access the bolts. The "loop" rests against the raised section of floor pan. At least that's how it was done on my factory original carpet install on my '77 Monte. Pic shows left side.

Carpet install question in 76 GP with console  77rear10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 76GP50thGA Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:01 am

wow, great picture thanks. Shows me exactly what I need to do. BTW, yours sure is clean. My springs are rusty looking - yours looks like its new. I'm planning to have my seats reupholstered this winter and thought once the seats are stripped down I'd shoot the frames\springs with a quick coat of paint while I can. Overkill - probably. I have a hard time letting the little stuff go :-)
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:Actually, the carpet is notched out to access the bolts.  The "loop" rests against the raised section of floor pan.  At least that's how it was done on my factory original carpet install on my '77 Monte.  Pic shows left side.

Carpet install question in 76 GP with console  77rear10

Now that explains why I had such trouble getting mine in, I went through the carpet to hold it in place.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:27 pm

GP,where did you buy the carpet? I want to replace the one in my 73 Monte that fits like crap. Whats the deal with the "mass backing option" Im not going to do it until spring at this point but may as well get it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down