G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modifying a Delco radio for IPod input?

5 posters

Go down

Modifying a Delco radio for IPod input?  Empty Modifying a Delco radio for IPod input?

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:16 am

Let me try this on this forum......not getting much response other places?

OK, so I have a very nice AM/FM stereo stock radio in my '75 SS el Camino, plays nice, have 4 speakers, 2 Delco (10 ohm) stock ones in the front under the dash, and 2 in the doors (aftermarket 6"x9" 8 ohm)......

I have an aftermarket AM/FM stereo radio in my '72 SS 454 el Camino, looks like the original, again 4 speakers but it also has an 1/8" jack where I can plug in my IPod and play my own music.....

Is there a way to "EASILY" modify the stock Delco radio in my '75 so I can play my IPod music there as well? I am thinking there must be a way to add a jack to plug in the IPod before the amp in the radio, just like the one I have in my '72?

I don't want to send it out to anyone........and if its going to cost tooooooo much, might be just easier to buy another one of the aftermarket ones that look like the original and go that route......

Anyone have input or comments?

BTW, I have an extra Delco AM/FM mono radio I can use as a guinea pig........

Bruce
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Modifying a Delco radio for IPod input?  Empty Re: Modifying a Delco radio for IPod input?

Post by Hawk03 Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:47 am

Your best bet would be to add an FM transmitter so you can play your Ipod through your stereo. The better ones seem to be the ones that connect directly to your antenna.

http://www.amazon.com/FM-Transmitters-MP3-Player-Accessories/b?ie=UTF8&node=13981621

Someone using RediRad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de5RbKvdnjQ

https://rediscoveradio.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=0dfd4b1908a8246817c4d49dc90104c6
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Modifying a Delco radio for IPod input?  Empty Re: Modifying a Delco radio for IPod input?

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Thanks Hawk, but not the way I want to go.

Only want to add to the existing radio or do an aftermarket one that has the jack built in.
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:24 pm

Well what I would do.  6$ on amazon and I am sure you could get this locally as well.   Probaby Radio Shack or something.  Mount the 1/8 female port in the dash near the radio and connect the rca female ports to a long enough rca cable to reach your amp.  then it should play through the amp if you have one that is.

Modifying a Delco radio for IPod input?  71BPOJ0i7vL._SL1500_
http://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-3-5mm-female-cable/dp/B00D64J64S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412014920&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+female+to+1%2F8+female

If you wanted to keep it looking stock you could mount the port in your ash tray for a cool hidden feature.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:21 pm

driveit wrote:Well what I would do.  6$ on amazon and I am sure you could get this locally as well.   Probaby Radio Shack or something.  Mount the 1/8 female port in the dash near the radio and connect the rca female ports to a long enough rca cable to reach your amp.  then it should play through the amp if you have one that is.

Modifying a Delco radio for IPod input?  71BPOJ0i7vL._SL1500_
http://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-3-5mm-female-cable/dp/B00D64J64S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412014920&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+female+to+1%2F8+female

If you wanted to keep it looking stock you could mount the port in your ash tray for a cool hidden feature.

No, don't have an amp. Trying to hook a line into the radio amp before the speakers.

Need a wiring diagram or if someone else has done this, how did they do it?
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:41 pm

I don't know the stock wiring but this article is a good start on what you might want to do. It seems pretty straight forward once you know the wire colors.

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/nallm/mp3jackinamfm.htm
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:24 pm

Procedure looks pretty straight forward, just wish it had the wiring info for the AM/FM that is in a '75! :-)
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ratnfested Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:02 am

If you have a oscilloscope or can borrow one I would start by hooking up the radio on a bench and probing the amplifier section with the scope and try to find the left and right audio signal, at preamp level of course, and with a little luck you might find the logical place to tap in with a switch to divert the input from an aux jack. noise can be an issue. You might need special wire that is insulated with a ground to avoid inducing a ton of ignition noise into the audio signal. I like your idea and I hope you figure it out. I was thinking of doing this but I am gonna go new and get BT and all the features since I am doing a resto mod.
ratnfested
ratnfested
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:57 pm

If you can figure out where to tap into the input of the pre-amp, a switching jack, or even a toggle switch could be used to block the tuner output and connect to the pre-amp input.
Shielded wire will be necessary on wiring to the pre-amp input......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down