G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

80's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Audio

Go down

80's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install Empty 80's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install

Post by Tdavis1 Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi, guys. I'm installing a newer am/fm stereo 8 track Delco radio I had laying around my shop in place of the factory Delco am radio. The problem I'm running into is finding the correct harness plugs/pigtails for the newer unit. Any ideas where to find these other than my local junkyard? I've searched through them and came up empty. I test fit the newer unit and it fit/looks pretty good. I did have to swap a few things from one radio to the other but overall it was an easy swap.

Tdavis1
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

80's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install Empty Re: 80's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install

Post by Tdavis1 Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:29 pm

80's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install 2019021080's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install 20190210

Tdavis1
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

80's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install Empty Re: 80's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40 am

That looks great. Quick question. What supports the rear of the stock radio? I have my original am radio in a box since I bought it in 1982. Any pics if its a bracket? Thanks
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Tdavis1 Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:50 pm

Hey, Joe. Theres a bracket that is attached to the back side of the dash. The left side of the radio has a threaded bolt/stud that attaches to the bracket via a nut. Unfortunately I didnt grab any pics of it.

Tdavis1
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:38 pm

Try some of the pig-tails at the parts stores. I have seen them at wal-mart also. GM used the same style plug for many years. It's worth a shot.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:42 am

A couple years ago local pick n pull had a very clean 76 Malibu 4 door. It was nice enough that it looks like it was driven to the yard and just parked. The interior was as clean as my daily driver. While nosing around I found a cardboard box in the back seat that the owner had put there, it was full of extra parts for the car. In it was the original am/fm with the brace still attached. Of course I left with it and a few other odds and ends. FYI, the dash was  cracked badly. 80's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install 5db23810
80's Delco am/FM stereo 8track install B35c3e10
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Tdavis1 Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 pm

That is definitely the same brace as in the monte carlo. Really cool you found that.

Tdavis1
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down