G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spindle backing plate, what color and gasket

3 posters

Go down

Spindle backing plate, what color and gasket Empty Spindle backing plate, what color and gasket

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:00 pm

I have my complete front end glass blasted and primed. Anyone know what color the disc backing plates were from the factory? I know the earlier years came with that goldish "zinc chromate" and our years didnt. I think I remember when I bought my car in '82, that they were either a silver "galvanized" color or maybe a dark gray. Any ideas???

Also, right behind the backing plate is a thin gasket. Its between the backing plate and the spindle. I have two sets of spindles and they both have the gasket. Anyone replace them? And with what?
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Spindle backing plate, what color and gasket Empty Re: Spindle backing plate, what color and gasket

Post by 77mali Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 pm

No color on mine just a galv finish. They almost look hot-dipped. I'm going to use the Rustoleum brand "galvanizing" paint can on mine.

That gasket is pretty thin you're talking about- I'm going to use my old ones as a template to make new ones. I found a gray gasket material that I picked up last year at Autozone that comes in small rolls. It s/b near where they have all the Permatex sealants & whatnot.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Spindle backing plate, what color and gasket Empty Re: Spindle backing plate, what color and gasket

Post by dynchel Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:49 pm

See my post on the "rear axl codes" thread.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down