G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear backing plate grooves

3 posters

Go down

Rear backing plate grooves Empty Rear backing plate grooves

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:27 am

Just though I'd post up something I found years ago on the net.  Your rear brake shoes have 8 contact points (small pads) on the backing plate.  Over time, the shoes create a groove in these pads which doesnt allow the shoes to either expand or contract smoothly even with the correct lube on the pads.

I saw an article about it years ago that said there was no need to purchase new backing plates.  Guys would just clean the pad area and apply some JB weld to fill in the groove.  Then sand smooth.  

Well, with my backing plates blasted clean, I used some Oatley epoxy stick #31270.  Normal plumbing epoxy stick.  I cut off a 1/2" piece with a razor blade.  Then kneeded it in my palms.  Rolled a piece to about and inch long and 1/8" thick and pressed it into the pad grooves.  Let it set 1 hour.  Then sanded it smooth with my dremel.  Good to go.

Oatley stick only has a 3 minute working time but you use so little of it.  It gets rock hard and sticks great.  You can even drill and tap it if need be.  

Just thought I'd post up since anyone keeping their rear drum brakes needs this fix.  For cheap too.  Dont forget to lube the pads when re-assembling your shoes.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Rear backing plate grooves Empty Re: Rear backing plate grooves

Post by driveit Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:43 am

Interesting info. I will keep this in mind. Thanks.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Rear backing plate grooves Empty Re: Rear backing plate grooves

Post by Limey SE Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Joe you have been stickied pardon the pun LOL
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management