G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Brakes

+4
bracketchev1221
newmexguy
impalamonte
bigredlaguna
8 posters

Go down

Rear Brakes Empty Rear Brakes

Post by 76 Malibu Fri May 31, 2019 9:25 pm

I am going to replace the rear brake drums and shoes on my Malibu. With so many made in China and poorly made aftermarket parts today, does anyone have a recommendation for some decent quality shoes and drums?

The local Car Quest has the Carquest WearEver brand shoes and drums for a decent price but I have never used them before. RockAuto has Raybestos for a decent price as well.

Any recommendations?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Rear Brakes Empty Re: Rear Brakes

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:25 pm

I just did the brakes on my daughter's 74. I ordered new rotors and drums through RockAuto. I don't recall the brand at the moment, but the only difference I noticed was the wear out dimensions on the drums were in mm instead of inches.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. It seems that there is very limited choices out there these days for these cars. I checked RockAuto and there was nothing that jumped out at me as being better than the other choices.

I may just end up going with a local Carquest Parts because I've dealt with them for years and never had any issues with warranty problems. If anyone else has any advice feel free to add in.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:09 pm

For what its worth....I have a set of drums, used , original equipment. Really good shape. Take offs in favor of my rear discs. I know for sure I have had them 30 years.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:01 pm

impalamonte wrote:For what its worth....I have a set of drums, used , original equipment. Really good shape. Take offs in favor of my rear discs. I know for sure I have had them 30 years.

I am sure they'd probably be better than any of the aftermarket stuff today, but unless you pretty much give them away, I think the shipping up to Canada would be prohibitively expensive.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by newmexguy Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:49 pm

I have shipped to Canada more than once. It is a hassle, with the customs form, but don't believe it is super crazy versus shipping across the pond.

newmexguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:25 am

Do a search of different companies. You may find that the auto parts stores part numbers actually reflect the company that made the parts. For example, Pep boys used to be Raybestos numbers, I forget who I used recently, but they were Wagner part numbers.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:01 pm

Shipping to Canada is easier than other international places, but most shipping companies will require the same info. You must have an invoice with shipper and receivers info, a break down on the items such as a description, value and where the items were made.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:51 am

I didn't realize, but the it looks like the earlier Malbius used 9.5" drums, while in 1976-77 they all used 11" drums.

Also, does anyone know what the correct shoes are for the smaller 11" drums (11 x 3 1/4")? The parts store told me there is the 363 shoes or the 462 shoes listed for the '76s? We guessed it's the 462 shoes, since the '77s only list those ones. Once I get them, I will compare them to what I have.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Just to update this thread for future reference, I used the 462 shoes on my car. It actually had 363 shoes installed and there were only slight differences between the two. The lower holes for the spring between the adjuster were the only difference, with the one set having a round hole the other being more oval shape. However, the space between each was the same and they worked fine on my car.

So I'd say, based on this, the 462 and the 363 shoes can be used interchangeably on these cars.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rear Brakes Empty 11 inch backing plates

Post by muldokken Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:38 pm

does anyone have a set of 11 inch rear backing plates for the 8.5" 10 bolt for sale? looking for a pair.
muldokken
muldokken
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Rear Brakes Empty 11 inch rear brakes

Post by newmexguy Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:56 am

You might try "Brian Trick" or "Jim Monzaz" on some of the various specialty sites.  Both are in the Midwest - Trick is in Erie PA and Monzaz is in believe Ohio.   They are both rear end builders so should have a good supply of parts.  
Master Power Brakes, North Carolina, I believe used to offer a loaded 11 inch rear drum brake upgrade.  I don't know if they still offer that, or perhaps loose parts.    
Personally know of a '76 Regal in an El Paso TX yard, but it is a 125 mile round trip, and would need to be compensated for my time and fuel.    It had the 11 inch rear drums but am unsure if it still exists in that particular UPAP yard.  Or whether the rear axle is still under it.
Dave S
dona Ana NM 88032

newmexguy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

muldokken likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by muldokken Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:25 pm

Hey newmexguy, thanx for the tips, I can try those. 125 mile trip doesnt sound too practical but thanx for the offer. sounds like it my be a wasted trip though. I really just need backing plates as I have all other upgraded parts. didnt think this would be a hard ask.
muldokken
muldokken
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:25 am

muldokken I see you're in Oregon. I'm not sure how much faith you'd have in used parts, but there are a couple of very good guys close to you and ship parts that might be able to help you. I sold auto parts for 28 years with the last eleven on the salvage side.
The first one is Western Sheet Metal. Brian is the owner, and is usually the one that picks up the phone. He has shipped me door, trunk lids, and the like. He tries to use train when possible. Never had a problem with his stuff. Just tell him Jeff from Viking Auto Salvage gave you his number.  (503) 538-4621
The second one is a great little yard that has a load of GM cars and parts. The newest one is 86 Monte? I've also bought parts from these fine gentlemen.

https://dansgarage.net/
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

muldokken likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by muldokken Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:18 pm

Hey fasrnur, thanx for the tips... I will call both of them and see if they have anything. totally fine with used parts. apparently nobody is repoping these only the 9.5 ones. didnt really thing this would turn out to be such an ordeal LOL I will let you know if i find some.
muldokken
muldokken
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:55 pm

You're more than welcome muldokken I don't have to worry about those kind of things anymore. lolRear Brakes 20200424
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down