G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rusted nuts

+10
dynchel
1973montec
77mali
Biomedtech
Tom77
pila
JB2wheeler
BlackChevelleSS
Laguna Budman
Bruisr
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

rusted nuts - Page 2 Empty Re: rusted nuts

Post by 77mali Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Laughing Laughing
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:40 pm

1973 454 MONTE wrote:rusted nuts - Page 2 Rusty_10
rusted nuts - Page 2 74_bmp10rusted nuts - Page 2 Ahole_10
rusted nuts - Page 2 74a_bm10
technically in 73/74 ohio only had a maximum of 6 characters on license plates. The seventh only came about a few years ago...just sayin'
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:49 pm

[/quote] technically in 73/74 ohio only had a maximum of 6 characters on license plates. The seventh only came about a few years ago...just sayin'[/quote]

1998 is when 7 digits came around,more than a few years, Wink just sayin.

and i think chris was just trying to be creative a little with our gen of cars. Laughing

although,he does have a 7 digit 1973 Ohio plate registered to his monte. Suspect the license bureau never second guessed the plate when they photo copied it for their records. santa
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:57 pm

He registered them? I just installed mine instead of the historical plates. Thumbs up I even changed the colors on my '74 plate (blue background/white numbers) so they would match the car.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:15 pm

its illegal to paint them. Ohio law says you can buy histerical plates and register the year of vehicle to your car,but you have to leave them the original color for that year and keep your histerical plate in car at all times. in 1973 the plate was green and white. it does not look so kewl on a black car. i thought about a 73 dealer plate i have or a 320HP plate. was going to go personalized histerical,but they have to be renewed every 5 years.regular histerical plates are good for 50. so i went to the DMV and went around the system and did the green and white 1973 Ohio "73 MONTE"
rusted nuts - Page 2 10131211

in 1996 when they started the 7 digits, i bought personalized plates for my 73 small block monte "73 MONTE". in 2002 i transfered them to the big block monte.

rusted nuts - Page 2 Plate_10

Last edited by 1973 454 MONTE on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:17 pm

fishhead wrote:Thanx! Very good info.I've never disassembled a bucket seat before.I love Chevrolet but why the heck couldn't they spend a little more for stainless hardware?

getting back on track. fishhead did you try and take the seat apart yet?
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:12 am

Dang!Time warp got me before I responded..I had to use every trick in the book to get those bolts out and it was not pretty.I used everything from an angle grinder to a hammer and chisel.I'm looking at a full floor replacement due to mega-doses of rust everywhere but on the bright side I didn't damage the seat tracks.Upon further review I should have just used a reciprocating saw and cut a circle out around each seat and let them drop to the floor.(Yes,I was a fan of Saturday morning cartoons).

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:28 am

Sears sells a bolt removal set. I cant remember the proper name but they work really well. You screw them down on the head of the rounded blt and it bites into it as it bottoms out then keep turning and the bolt will come out. They work well.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks ant,I'll put it on my "needed tools" list.I'm getting too old to take on anymore G3 rust orphans so hopefully the seat removal was the worst part.Seems like my taste in cars is the same as with women,the better they look the more trouble they are.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:21 pm

ant7377 wrote:Sears sells a bolt removal set. I cant remember the proper name but they work really well. You screw them down on the head of the rounded blt and it bites into it as it bottoms out then keep turning and the bolt will come out. They work well.

IIRC its called Bolt-out at Sears

10 low profile removers, fits sizes from 3/8 to 3/4 in. and 10 to 19mm. Used for removing damaged, stripped, rusted or painted fasteners (screws/nuts/bolts) of all types. These sockets fit any 3/8 in. ratchet.

rusted nuts - Page 2 Spin_prod_207242301?hei=423&wid=423&op_sharpen=1
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 pm

Thats it. Thats just what i have. It works good to get out broken bleeder screws too
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Update..Taking the swivel buckets apart now to assess the ravages of time and Mother Nature.Found out it pays dividends to squirt the 4 bolts underneath with penetrating lube for a couple days before removing them.Snapped one clean in two leaving remaining half in bottom of seat."D'ohh!!"#%&*!!

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Anyone know of a vendor who sells replacement springs for the 1975 Laguna swivel buckets? They look mighty rusty...Thanks.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2