G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who the heck welded the nuts on!?!?

+8
dine73ss
thatfnthing
skutrtrash88
pila
Joe73
ant7377
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
1973 454 MONTE
12 posters

Go down

Who the heck welded the nuts on!?!? Empty Who the heck welded the nuts on!?!?

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:19 pm

So I'm in the middle of replacing my control arm bushings and the lowers go in no problem. I get to the uppers and noticed the nuts on both ends of both sets have been welded to the threads on the mounting bolts. Is this a factory thing? How the heck do I get these off without ruining the mounting bolt?
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Who the heck welded the nuts on!?!? Empty Re: Who the heck welded the nuts on!?!?

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:21 pm

i have never seen any welded
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Who the heck welded the nuts on!?!? Empty Re: Who the heck welded the nuts on!?!?

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Yeah, someone definitely tack welded the nuts onto the control arm shafts. I have two different shafts (one is round all the way along and the other is flat.) Does this matter?
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:01 pm

wokrdan AKA BU Balls wrote:Yeah, someone definitely tack welded the nuts onto the control arm shafts. I have two different shafts (one is round all the way along and the other is flat.) Does this matter?

round one goes on pass side
flat one is flat so steering column does not get in the way
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Can I buy two flat ones, or does one have to be round?
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:48 pm

Never seen them welded either. You are talking about the big nuts one the ends of the control arms just outside the bushings, right?Or are you talking about the ones that hold the control arm to the chassis. The ones the alignment shims go between the bolt and the chassis.Either ones are not supposed to be welded.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:14 pm

A buddy of mine just called me a couple of weeks ago about the same problem. He picked up his father inlaws '74 GMC Sprint and it has the nuts welded as well. Why? I have no idea.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:02 pm

Seems like two new flat style types would do the job OK.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Who the heck welded the nuts on!?!? Empty Welded Upper Control Arm Bushing Nuts

Post by skutrtrash88 Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:25 am

I just finished rebuilding the front end of my 1974 Colonade and encountered the same issue. After some lengthy research, I discovered in 1974 there was a technical bulletin from GM that recommended the nuts towards the front of the control arm be tack welded to ensure they do not loosen on their own. I wasn't able to save mine because the weld was wide, but I simply used a hacksaw to cut along the edge of the nut and through the weld. Then I tightened the nut as tight as I could, exposing the entire welded area of the shaft. Then I just ground the remaining weld away with a die grinder, allowing me to remove the nut. I just ordered a new set. MOOG K6146 from Ebay, $96.00 for both sides delivered in about 4 days. The MOOG replacement part has an "offset" which adds more positive camber adjustments, if needed. Otherwise just install them as marked on the side "WHEEL SIDE OUT" and you have a stock fit.
skutrtrash88
skutrtrash88
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:43 am

The factory recommended that?  Cuz lock washers or LocTite are so difficult Suspect
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:02 pm

Saw same thing on 75 malibu wagon back in 97. Didn't realize it was a service bulletin only figured GM didn't want folks to replace front end bushings and just buy whole new sets. More $.
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74chick Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:43 pm

It seems to be a alignment guy thing. some shops do it, some don't. If you have your front done make sure to tell them not to weld on it. Also, look out for muffler guys doing that bs too. Then you can't get your pipes off. Had that happen to me.
74chick
74chick
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:56 am

skutrtrash88 wrote:I just finished rebuilding the front end of my 1974 Colonade and encountered the same issue. After some lengthy research, I discovered in 1974 there was a technical bulletin from GM that recommended the nuts towards the front of the control arm be tack welded to ensure they do not loosen on their own.

This is absolutely correct.

My dad elected to not take my car back in to the dealership and added a jam nut instead.

It is still like that to this day.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:02 am

Was this just a 74 thing? Did they change the nuts from 75-77?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:03 pm

I just did the front control arm bushings this past winter on my 1974 Malibu anad had no welds. If it matters my car was a very early 1974 built vehicle.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:16 am

bitterfitter wrote:I just did the front control arm bushings this past winter on my 1974 Malibu anad had no welds.  If it matters my car was a very early 1974 built vehicle.  

Shouldn't matter, since the welding was done as a retrofit/recall rather than on the assembly line.

My Chevelle was built September 18th of 1973 (in Oshawa).

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down