G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase

+13
blaq's 73
taz575
Malicruiser
Famstyle
Jedediah
1973 454 MONTE
Limey SE
74MonteCarlo
laguna55
badtemper44
ant7377
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
bigredlaguna
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   Empty Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase

Post by taz575 Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:52 pm

I brought this car home it was a rough condition malibu classic i spent the first few months gathering the laguna nose emblems tail panel and swivel buckets with floor brackets . It is all in mock up in the pics and has been torn down again . A previous owner in its past had tried to do a quarter panel that was butt welded the welds were ground down to were the metal was paper thin and they attatched it to the back side of the door jamb all of that has been cut out .

The braking system is going to use 2008 corvette z51 13.4" rotors and calipers on 86 camaro hubs that i cut rotor off on brake lathe at work and machined outer diameter so rotor was a slip fit . The rears are 2002 trans am rotors and calipers 12" .

I have a 1979 trans am 1 1/4 front sway bar and a rear sway bar from a 1994 police car package caprice with the 12.7.1 fast ratio steering box from the same caprice .
The engine is from a 93 corvette lt1 it was put in for mock up i modified the engine wiring harness for stand alone and modified a 95 caprice throttle cable to work . For fuel supply i am using a gas tank from a 96 impala ss just need to lengthen the straps and its a perfect fit .

OPINION WANTED I AM THINKING OF FIBERGLASSING THE DASH PAD AND DOING CARBON FIBER OVERLAY ALONG WITH THE HOOD LUGUNA NOSE AND REAR SPOILER . WHAT DO YOU THINK ? Rear spoiler will be from a 2010 dodge challenger for visual . No offense but i am not into ricer cars i think the carbon fiber would set it apart . Paint will be either black or charcoal grey metallic

If anyone is doing a similar swap i would be glad to give info that i have . Or if you have already done this swap i would love to hear how you did it .

[img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0629[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0630[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0631[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0632[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0633[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0634[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0635[/img]
taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   Empty More pics

Post by taz575 Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:08 pm

[img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0637[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0638[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0639[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0641[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0642[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0643[/img]
taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   Empty Re: Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase

Post by Limey SE Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Very cool cant wait to see more on this build progree

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   Empty Re: Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:03 am

love this! what id like to do with my el camino if i wasnt a starving 23 year old college student lol
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 pm

TWBouska AKA Wooderson wrote:love this! what id like to do with my el camino if i wasnt a starving 23 year old college student lol
Know exactly how you feel.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by taz575 Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:18 pm

This stuff doesnt cost as much as you think . The rotors 210$ for pair vette z51 caliper brackets 120$ calipers are from a 2005 gto they are the same as c6 vette 80$ on ebay pads 28 $ and machined the 3rd gen camaro hubs on brake lathe at work oh and the adapter brackets from kore3 90 $ . Ls1 rear brakes 130 $ ebay drilled rotors 120 $ .
Tim
taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:49 pm

taz575 wrote:This stuff doesnt cost as much as you think . The rotors 210$ for pair vette z51 caliper brackets 120$ calipers are from a 2005 gto they are the same as c6 vette 80$ on ebay pads 28 $ and machined the 3rd gen camaro hubs on brake lathe at work oh and the adapter brackets from kore3 90 $ . Ls1 rear brakes 130 $ ebay drilled rotors 120 $ .
Tim
When living on Top Ramen you don't spend more than $100 on anything.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by taz575 Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:27 pm

I understand what you are talking about i have been there . Have you done top ramen egg drop soup or cook it in butter and a frying pan . I could honestly write a 101 ways to do top ramen cook book no joke .
I hope things start going better for you .
We have to have our priorities and eating takes priority !

taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:39 pm

taz575 wrote: I understand what you are talking about i have been there . Have you done top ramen egg drop soup or cook it in butter and a frying pan . I could honestly write a 101 ways to do top ramen cook book no joke .

You should seriously write that cook book. You could make enough money to build 15 Lagunas.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:59 am

bigredlaguna wrote:
taz575 wrote: I understand what you are talking about i have been there . Have you done top ramen egg drop soup or cook it in butter and a frying pan . I could honestly write a 101 ways to do top ramen cook book no joke .

You should seriously write that cook book. You could make enough money to build 15 Lagunas.
Agreed! cheers
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:10 am

taz575 wrote:This stuff doesnt cost as much as you think . The rotors 210$ for pair vette z51 caliper brackets 120$ calipers are from a 2005 gto they are the same as c6 vette 80$ on ebay pads 28 $ and machined the 3rd gen camaro hubs on brake lathe at work oh and the adapter brackets from kore3 90 $ . Ls1 rear brakes 130 $ ebay drilled rotors 120 $ .
Tim

true...but how much was the LS and whatever trans you put behind it?
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:19 pm

TWBouska AKA Wooderson wrote:
Tim

true...but how much was the LS and whatever trans you put behind it?
He used an LT1 engine not LS1.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by taz575 Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:34 pm

Thats right its an lt1 i got a good deal on engine and 700r4 trans . I will be putting a 6sp t56 when i find a good deal on one . The parts i listed i have been buying over the last year some with the money i got from the sale of the last car and the rest from not going out to eat and doing side work . I am a ASE certified GM tech so if i want some parts i get to spend hours doing sidework under someones car in their gravel driveway to get them my one car garage is full. NO SILVER SPOON HERE .
This is a pic of last car i built by the time all was said and done i had about 8500$ in it and it sold for a bit more than that .When i was done selling all the 66 gto stuff i didnt use it was around 6000 out of pocket .[img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0412[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   100_0413[/img]

Last edited by taz575 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:31 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by taz575 Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:33 am

Just to be clear when i decide on what kind of car i am going to build I start scrounging through the pick n pull yards craigs list and ebay and the local penny saver nickel nic type things looking for parts .
Most of the time i dont even have the car yet i usually end up finding the car during the search . A budget is set and i start accumulating parts and things i think i will need . If it turns out i dont need them i try to sell them at a modest profit to buy what i need .

The term pro touring is misleading . Its a media created name to sell high dollar parts but with some research and diligent parts hunting it can be done for fairly inexpensive .

For example steering box is from pull and save 27.50 its out of a 95 caprice cop car 12.7.1 fast ratio steering and a bolt in . P/s hoses have different fittings so get the hoses and the fitting and pressure valve in the back of caprice p/s pump.
Front sway bar and 3 series posi carrier 79 trans am parting out on craigslist for 140.00

The wheels on the last car are 5series bmw that some yuppie didnt want anymore and sold them cheap . The tires are takeoffs from the vette owners that wanted nittos or michelins or whatever .

I have accumulated a lot of information on what interchanges and found some out by trying it .
As you can clearly see i am more than willing to share whatever info i have to save you money so you can enjoy your car and eat to.
taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   Empty Started fiberglasing dash tonight

Post by taz575 Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Never got any opinions on the carbon fiber dash laminate so i started without you . Fiberglassed the dash tonight its just rough finished but the nice part is cracks are gone . Just dashes 1100 $ i dont think so !
Please opinions wanted carbon fiber laminate dash or ?
Pics tommorrow.
taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:25 am

Ive got that swaybar too. Works good and cheap.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by taz575 Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:57 am

Exactly ant7377 it can be done cheap if you search . I just found a 1973 chevelle in a field guy will sell me car for 50$ with title . I am going to go pick it up next weekend any body need some parts i will see whats good and list parts in classifieds . He took engine and trans to put in a 81 olds and beached it in a field . Some people have there priorities screwed up !But to each their own .I am taking pass fender door jamb and partial quarter panel quarter window is different .

I WILL ONLY LIST GOOD PARTS AND I WILL ONLY LIST THEM ON THIS FORUM .
taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by badtemper44 Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:45 am

Let me know how that dash looks, I might be interested in it!
badtemper44
badtemper44
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by taz575 Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:23 am

No problem first on list for dash badtemper44but i have not seen car yet purchased through a freind . Just food for thought i am thinking of making a mold of the dash i just did to duplicate them . Not a dash cover but a dash .
I have a one peice dash the pad is not removable . But i am thinking a dash out of fiberglass is pretty simple if your not doing a resto and you could apply thin foam and vinyl or whatever . The 2 peice would be real easy i think .

It will be a lot of work and just considering it at this point but these cars need a choice other than spending a ridiculous amount of money on a restored dash .

Would there be an interest in something like that ?
taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by laguna55 Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:19 am

nice car looks like a fun build .. hope to see more pics as it gos along ..
laguna55
laguna55
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by taz575 Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Well i went and looked at the 73 . For 50$ i bought it . Still has the dual exhaust trans crossmember glass is nice interior is suprisingly in great shape and the dash is in amazing shape it has no cracks from heater vents but a small crack where speaker goes . Fenders doors and front end good .
The quarters are rusted bad .
I will get pics up when i get it home and post parts i dont want on the classified section here .

taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:53 pm

good score
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:59 pm

very cool score buddy for 50 bucks holy mackerel LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by taz575 Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Here is some pics of my 50$ dollar 73 chevelle . This thing was out in the woods . It came with title and keys . All he wanted was engine and trans When he said 50$ i couldnt get the money out of pocket fast enough . I found the car by asking a guy at work if he has seen any chevelles sitting around he says yeah my neighbor has on sitting in his field . [img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   2012-010[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   2012-011[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   2012-012[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   2012-013[/img][img]Here we go laguna clone pro touring build begining phase   2012-014[/img]

Last edited by taz575 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
taz575
taz575
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Wow, that car looks clean. Be a shame to chop it up.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next