G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue

+9
abajc3
dragons_lair59
Limey SE
1973 454 MONTE
Mcarlo77
pila
ant7377
IndyG3
Biomedtech
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue Empty Re: Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue

Post by Biomedtech Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:00 pm

IndyG3 wrote:
BlackChevelleSS wrote:I like em lowered enough where theres 0 to 1 inch between the top of the tire and the wheel well opening.
Oh, then you'd love what I just did to my car! Cool

Let see some pics...
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue Empty Re: Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue

Post by IndyG3 Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Biomedtech wrote:Let see some pics...

http://g3gm.forumotion.com/t1449p15-finally-proof-that-it-exists

I posted a few pics on my project page. I haven't had much time to take any new ones recently, but I haven't changed much on it since I took this picture.

Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue Chevel17
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:56 pm

What front springs ? I know you probably put it on here someplace but im too lazy too look.Thanks.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:59 pm

ant7377 wrote:What front springs ? I know you probably put it on here someplace but im too lazy too look.Thanks.

WOW welcome to Lazyville LOL

Re: Finally! Proof that it exists!

Post by IndyG3 on Tue 20 Apr 2010 - 2:45
+
----
-
Black was right on the tire sizes... 245/60's on the front and 275/60 rears on 15x8 rallyes all the way around for now. A congratulatory handshake is in order for him! Laughing

As for the springs, they're whatever Global West's 1 inch lowering spring is. I picked them up since they were about $10 more than the factory style replacements...couldn't pass up on a deal like that! They ride surprsingly well. They're much shorter than factory springs, but they're a bit stiffer to make up for the size difference. They definitely firm up the ride without making the car uncomfortable to drive on Indiana's fine, un-crater-filled roads. Oh, wait, that's a lie...Indiana roads are terrible, and I'm amazed the car still rides very well for all the suspension work that's been done. Rago's right, this thing WOULD look great lowered another inch or so in the front, but this stance is as comfortable as I'll get with lowering it. I can barely get a jack under it how it is. It sits really, really low in person. Cool

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm not big on lowered cars either, but one thing is does accomplish is lowering the CG, which helps handling somewhat. But I'm also not into jack-up cars. The old "California rake" of the old days sucked for handling, with the rear way up in the air etc.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:24 pm

I, too, grew up with cars sporting the "California rake" and the handling did suck on most of them. But, I remember a neighbor who had a silver/blk '69 Nova SS with the "rake" and, if any car looked good with that stance, it was that Nova! To this day, I drool over the thoughts of that car!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am

Jim_Rockford wrote:
Mcarlo77 wrote:I, too, grew up with cars sporting the "California rake" and the handling did suck on most of them. But, I remember a neighbor who had a silver/blk '69 Nova SS with the "rake" and, if any car looked good with that stance, it was that Nova! To this day, I drool over the thoughts of that car!

LOL we called that the stink bug stance..lol It was a sign the owner had no clue.

Pics of one coming soon. Keep an eye on my project thread. Embarassed
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:18 pm

LOL we called that the stink bug stance..lol It was a sign the owner had no clue.

Most of the time, that was probably true. But back then, this was more about looking "cool" on the street rather than about the handling of the car. Everyone was emulating the funny cars at the drag strip.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:16 pm

i love my stance,and with the 275-60's it handles like a dream.
Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue 2010_f10

when i bought the 73 in 2002,it was all original,but someone did the rake job to it,and handled like $h!+.Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue Dscn1111
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:12 am

i think that someone did that to my car too. How can i fix this? Are there just spacers below the springs or is there more to it?

@jim rockford: i saw an US aircraft carrier there once. Impressive stuff. I live about 20 minutes of driving from there.

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue Empty Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue

Post by The Dude Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am

Rakes can be done a few different ways. If you look at Chris' photos, it appears as if his front springs were cut. Back in the day, I had rear lift springs. Now I'm forced to use them again for the time being just so the front end doesn't sit nose up. (I already dumped around 200 lbs from the front end with more weight loss planned in the future). Some day I'll go with the stock HD rear springs when I figure out a good solution to bring the front back down. Yes Bryan I know.... get coil-overs.

IMHO no spacers should ever be used on these cars unless you like to test your luck. Spacers are best left to strut type vehicles.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

old days i remember air shocks and springs from a wagon
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:05 pm

hmm, now im confused... there is only ine i believe about 1,5inch plate below rear springs so im not sure if that is spacer. but it does look like ones they sell on ebay. i sure hope that front springs arent cut, because it has a very high stance as-is. i wouldnt like it sitting any higher. about longer rear springs, is there any way to determine which one they are without taking them off? maybe count the windings?

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 pm

There shouldn't be anything under the coil springs except the mount that's welded to the axle. Also there shouldn't be anything above the rear spring other than a rubber isolator pad. Got any pics?

Only way that I know of to find out about your springs is to count the coils & measure them with a set of calipers. Then go to these pages & see what you have or at least get close.

Front springs
https://www.g3gm.com/t2376-front-spring-rates

Rear springs
https://www.g3gm.com/t2375-rear-spring-rates
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

no photos at the moment unfortunately, i will take some when i get home. if the weather is nice i might also take the car out to show you the stance.

how does that mount look? what i have under my coils is a lot like this "lift kit", but somehow smaller and wider.

i sure hope its just spacers, so i can throw them out when i will change the bushings. although i quite like the stance it has, in my opinion form does not prevail function in any case, so they are going into the trash can

ps: i forgot to attach the link. here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAR-2-COIL-SPRING-SPACER-LIFT-KIT-SET-Z28-SS-RS-LT-GT-/110632776668?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1977|Model%3AMalibu&hash=item19c23a33dc

Last edited by abajc3 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

and thanks for very good info rago! 1sc!

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Sounds like you do have spacers. The way mine is jacked up is with air shocks.

I hate them cause it makes my car ride worse than my work truck when its empty, but I have to use them for now because the offset on my rims is wrong.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:01 am

IMHO, air shocks are just about the worst thing possible. Instead of letting the springs carry the load, it forces the shock to carry the load of the car. Not really a good idea when you see that the shock is only held in by two very small bolts at the top & one large bolt at the bottom. The bottom mount is going to be put under serious side loading & could eventually snap. Hopefully not while going too fast down the road or a rollover could happen. Again, this is just my opinion. A lot of guys have been running air shocks since the 70's with no problems other than loose fillings in their teeth. Laughing

BigRed, how much more clearance over stock do you need? Those JCW springs I have give about 1"-1.5" more height & still ride decent. I think they cost right around $80 for the set. Just get the 3" lift for 68-72 A Bodies instead of the ones for 73-77 cars unless you really want a stinkbug stance.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 pm

What I want is some rims with the right offset so I can run regular shocks. I want to be able to run my current tires inside the wheelwell.

I would have fixed this situation by now, but since my wife and I disagree to the point of divorce about what makes a good looking rim---and she has my nuts hidden somewhere-- I am saving money to buy the style that we both do actually agree on. The Style we agree on doesn't come in less than 16" dia. so I gotta save for tires too. The horizon is still a ways away.

Until then, the Laguna just doesn't get driven very much.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:44 pm

you will be needing the 5.5" backspace on a 10" wheel Bigred I dont know what has happened over the years 4.5" Bs was a plenty now for some reason it has switched to 5.5" Min BS for our Cars

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:33 am

new math lol just like lumber a 2x4 isnt a 2x4 anymore
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:18 am

i checked my rear springs today, no spacers unfortunately. the weather was quite nice so i took some photos of the stance:

Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue Dscn0407

Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue Dscn0408

it seems to me like it is leaning forward a bit, but then again its one of the few g3s ive ever seen. what do you think?

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:33 am

That doesn't look too bad. Looks to me like you have taller tires in the back than the front, which would make the car "lean" forward. You may also have station wagon or some other heavy duty spring in the back.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:07 am

That's not a bad rake at all. Though it does sit on the high side, I'd suspect either wagon springs or someone has replaced them with new ones. As high as it sits all around, I wouldn't be surprised to find new springs or possibly even Caprice springs.

Here's a pic of the original Limey project (R.I.P.) notice how high it sat with fresh springs. Limey can probably find a better picture, but you get the idea.

Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue Abi_sc15
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Ride height, rakes, etc. - split from Impala rescue Empty stock ride height

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:20 pm

I have been having trouble finding the specs on stock ride height anywhere. On top of it there are 3 or 4 different ways that various people measure ride height judging by web articles. I know stock ride height isn't in the service manual. Was it in the assembly manual? And how did Chevy measure ride height on Chevelles? Inquiring minds would like to know. Any help is greatly appreciated.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next