G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caprice/Impala Steering Box?

+2
chevellelaguna
sportster_restorer
6 posters

Go down

Caprice/Impala Steering Box? Empty Caprice/Impala Steering Box?

Post by sportster_restorer Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:34 am

Does anyone know the ratio of the stock steering box on a 74 Laguna?

I was wondering if there was any performance benefit to swapping over to the 90-96 Caprice/Impala steering box? One reason for considering this is to get the late O-ring fittings and hoses, and where I could use a hydraboost system using all stock hoses.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Caprice/Impala Steering Box? Empty Re: Caprice/Impala Steering Box?

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Not sure of the ratio differences between the boxes. I do know however, that they do sell fittings to convert your original box to later model hoses with I rings. I know the 90's Astro van hydro boost set up fits our cars with some modification to the brake pedal rod. That system runs off of the pressure generated by the power steering pump. You'd want to ensure that your system is up to the task, also consider plumbing in a power steering cooler, these newer cars have some pretty fancy small ones. I've been stock piling a few for an upgrade to my ps system.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:15 pm

I know some of the late model Caprices had the 12.7:1 ratio steering box, like police cars. There are lists online of which cars had them.

Stock ratio for a 1974 Malibu is 16.0:1 on center to 13.0:1 (variable ratio). Overall ratio with the steering linkage is 18.7:1 on center to 16:1. You can also have your current box rebuilt with quicker ratio internal parts. That's what I plan to do this winter when the car is off the road.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:50 am

I used a Jeep Grand Cherokee box on my 73 when I swapped the LS in, it bolts right up after swapping the original pitman arm onto the jeep box, using a rag joint for a mid 80s Chevy pickup, and gets you 12.7:1 ratio and the new style fittings (I used a PS hose for a 86 Monte Carlo as it had the right fittings for the JGC box and the PS pump on the LS engine)
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:45 pm

I might do this as winter project. Sounds good. What box do you need to get? There is more than one ,correct?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:13 am

Jeep Grand Cherokee would probably be your cheapest and most reliable option. There's even a write up for it.

http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/custom-aftermarket-suspension-handling/22736-93-97-jeep-grand-cherokee-steering-box-swap-w-pics.html

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:45 am

Nice! Thanks!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Yep lots of info here as well http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334534
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum