G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work"

+9
abajc3
JB2wheeler
Mcarlo77
lars
dragons_lair59
Biomedtech
77malibu77
74MonteCarlo
74chick
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" Empty "My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work"

Post by Malicruiser Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:01 am

Well I'd say this one's done for! The previous owner let it sit for two years before deciding to sell it, problem is while it was sitting the battery was leaking acid all over the core support, battery tray, and inner fender.

"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 12110
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 12410
Now finally after looking locally for three years I managed to find an unmolested core support!
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 13510
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 13710
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 13810
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" Empty Re: "My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work"

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:21 am

There should be a law that says GM should provide replacement parts for all cars for 50 years. There is nio reason they could not. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" Empty Re: "My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work"

Post by 77malibu77 Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:06 pm

very nice job malicruiser. the first one looks about like the one on my el camino. and the second one looks like the one on my malibu LOL.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:53 pm

good score finally HUH

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 74chick Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:41 pm

WOW That is a hard part to find. Good job. BTW it goodmark we need to talk to about making new ones.
74chick
74chick
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:53 pm

I found this and upper door panels, battery tray, and passenger side inner fender while digging through a salvage yard looking for better wheels for my Ranger. I had already searched 4 yards and was about to head home when I spotted another small yard and checked it out on a whim. When I was walking to the front to head home the nose of a 4 eyed elco caught me. I spent $200 dollars that day when I was only planning on spending $80 on wheels.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:47 pm

So I'm curious, why are these upper door panels metal and my chevelles are solid plastic? I'll upload pictures of the plastic ones that came on my chevelle tomorrow.

"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 31510
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 31810
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:55 pm

You have a base Malibu.

Those are for a Malibu Classic.

My old base Malibu had plastic as well.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:09 am

Malicruiser wrote:So I'm curious, why are these upper door panels metal and my chevelles are solid plastic? I'll upload pictures of the plastic ones that came on my chevelle tomorrow.

"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 31510
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 31810

yeah those are for malibu classic/el camino classic i got like 3 sets of them and i have one set of monte door panels and they are plastic
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Here's how my current upper door panels look.

"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 00410
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 00510
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 00610
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 00710
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 00810
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:44 pm

This is why you NEVER buy a car that has a fresh paint job! You never know how the paint was prepped or even if the previous owner used a good quality product.

"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 01110
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 01210
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 01310
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 01410
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 01510
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 01610
"My 74 Chevelle....Very poor paint work" 01710
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Just so you guys know, I take great care and pride in my vehicles but none come anywhere near how much pride and care I put in my Chevelle. There was nothing I could do to save this paint job, but since the basecoat is still holding up well I'm going to hold out on my paint and work on the chassis first then interior, THEN I'll do the body and paint.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:02 pm

I see that your Chevelle has the white interior. Are you interested in a set of rear seats in white from a '77 Monte Carlo? One came into the local yard a couple weeks ago and the rears looked pretty nice...albeit, a little dirty. I pulled the white door panels as spares for my Monte (also a white interior) and already have a spare set of rear seats. Let me know and I can go take a closer look at them and report back.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:07 pm

I also have the white seat from a 74 malibu classic and the white lowers in better shape then the ones you are showing..................

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I see that your Chevelle has the white interior. Are you interested in a set of rear seats in white from a '77 Monte Carlo? One came into the local yard a couple weeks ago and the rears looked pretty nice...albeit, a little dirty. I pulled the white door panels as spares for my Monte (also a white interior) and already have a spare set of rear seats. Let me know and I can go take a closer look at them and report back.
Thanks for the offer. No I'm actually changing it over to a black interior, but it's not going to look factory at all. Full custom door panels, side panels. Flush mounted headliner, front & rear windshield, and side window. The works, but the work will be done by me to keep the cost done as much as possible.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Limey wrote:I also have the white seat from a 74 malibu classic and the white lowers in better shape then the ones you are showing..................
I might need lowers to hold me over till I get really do my interior. That's going to have to wait till I have the cash though, that last trip to the salvage yard cleaned me out.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:13 pm

when your ready 35 + the ride so figure about 45 to 50 total

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks. I remember when $50 was chump change, now I have make sure not to spend even $20 extra!
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:17 pm

I know what you mean I have never been on a such tight budget as I have been in the last 9 months ......................some thing has to change like the Obama camp promised in the election, well the dam change happened and it is working against the americans here well that is another thread sorry.....

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm embarrassed to say, but it's taken this long for me to final get around to putting on my replacement upper door panels. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow. It's just way too cold out to take them right now.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Looks at the thermometer... 20degrees, thats bbq weather for us up here in the GWN!
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 am

We can only dream of getting as warm as +20 degrees up here. Woke up to -20 in Twin Cities area!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:19 am

same here my dog wont even go out side this morning and yes thats him in my Sig

Weather for Byron, IL
-10°F | °C
Current: Sunny
Wind: NW at 6 mph
Humidity: 69%

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:04 pm

I hear you guys.... This 70 degree weather is pretty brutal in AZ as well. sunny
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:20 pm

26 right now on virginia/ tennesse border
just as cold as back in iowa WTF
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next