G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transmission gear selector linkage repair

2 posters

G3GM :: Media :: Videos

Go down

Transmission gear selector linkage repair Empty Transmission gear selector linkage repair

Post by zucchi Wed May 04, 2022 1:58 pm

The gear selector linkage in my 1974 Monte Carlo had developed lots of slack over the last 48 years so this past April 23, 2022, I did something about it. This video shows what I did…

Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Transmission gear selector linkage repair Empty Re: Transmission gear selector linkage repair

Post by Limey SE Wed May 04, 2022 10:46 pm

Maybe share the Replacement part numbers I for one have to do this is and Trans is out for Engine Upgrade ??

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Transmission gear selector linkage repair Empty Re: Transmission gear selector linkage repair

Post by zucchi Thu May 05, 2022 8:59 am

Limey SE wrote:Maybe share the Replacement part numbers…

You bet.

From the parts manual on gmpartswiki…
GP 4.040: 488452 – SHAFT, EQUALIZER CONTROL
GP 4.045: 9795470 – LEVER, PARK. LOCK AND RANGE SELECTOR OUTER {although I used 480565}

The swivel and it's components can be purchased together but their parts are…
GP 4.037: 1385607 – SWIVEL, CONTROL ROD LOWER
GP 4.037: 3989434 – WASHER
GP 4.037: 3989433 – SCREW

The spring, washer, bushing, clip kit includes…
10040797 – CLIP
492346 – WASHER
10236109 – SPRING
1377083 – BUSHING

The grommet was
GP 4.037: 1394293 – GROMMET ASSY

I got these parts from different sellers on evilBay
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:10 pm

This is a follow-up to my original post.

After I replaced the worn transmission shift linkage parts, much of the loosy-goosy slack was taken up but there was still some noticeable and annoying looseness as can be seen in the original video at time 24:21 - 24:45. I suspected there was an issue with the selector and detent spring inside the transmission. I started documenting the repair after I dropped the pan and saw what you'll see in the video. Please note that I hadn't intended to record an "instructional" video so I didn't have a tripod, etc. The camera was hand-held and all the footage is "raw", i.e., unedited.

One thing I didn't mention in the video is when I dropped the pan and inspected everything, the nut on the inside of the transmission that holds the range selector lever (#330136) onto the selector shaft (#470107), didn't seem as tight as it should have been. After replacing the selector lever, when I tightened up the nut, I put the torque wrench on the nut on the outside of the shaft and a box wrench on the nut on theĀ inside so that both nuts would be properly torqued. I would expect this to prevent a repeat of this issue. Furthermore, I'll note to check the torque on those nuts whenever I do transmission service in the future.

As always, I hope this helps those with the same problem
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Finn Monte likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down