G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore!

+7
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
Roadcaptain S3
74Malibu383
BlackChevelleSS
bigredlaguna
1973 454 MONTE
ant7377
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! Empty Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore!

Post by The Dude Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:07 pm

Well I figure since this is post #500, I might as well get around to taking some pictures of my latest 76 Chevelle & give her a proper introduction. This is Project Brown Eye (until I can get a paint job or primer her).

Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! Brown_10

Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! Brown_11

She came to me thanks to BlackChevelleSS noticing the ad on Tulsa CL. Thanks buddy. As soon as he showed me the ad, I drove down there cash in hand knowing I wanted her. While I will say the anemic performance of a 305 powered car is depressing, don't let anyone ever tell you they are unreliable! I drove it home from Broken Arrow to Miami (1-1.5 hr trip) without any problems. Done a tune-up & made a 4.5 hour long trip to Eureka Springs, AR again with no problems other than losing a mirror & a tire mishap on the way home. So far I have only put some Corvette Rally wheels on it & kept up the maintenace due to a lack of funds/abundance of other projects in the wings/kids' sports/preparing to move/wedding.........whew! Don't worry though I have a nice stack of performance goodies waiting on my bench & a 350 I'm pulling from Marvin to build up.

My plans are to raise the rear about an inch or two, paint it (color undecided at this point, we're a long ways from that!), redo the drivetrain with mild upgrades like poly bushings, sway bars, 200-4R, & probably 3.42 gears, & drop in a mild 350.

Here's a nice list of parts I've got for the 350 build:

Crane 266 Energizer Cam
Carter 600 CFM carb
Holley 300-36 intake
Ceramic coated Hooker Headers
stock 350 bottom end with Swirl Port heads

The swirl ports I'm not 100% sure on, but this is my DD, not my Cutlass. If it was something I planned on running the track with frequently, I wouldn't be building a 350 (not a Chevy at least, LOL).

Anyways, hope you guys like it, & throw me any suggestions you might have because I'm always listening.

Last edited by Rago on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! Empty Re: Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore!

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:43 pm

I love those vette wheels Very Happy Very Happy Wink
Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! Wheel_10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! Empty Re: Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore!

Post by Limey SE Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:44 pm

I LIKE IT WAS A GOOD BUY IF YOU ASK ME

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:46 pm

1973 454 MONTE wrote:I love those vette wheels Very Happy Very Happy Wink
Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! Wheel_10

JUST NOTICED SOMETHING FROM NOT BEING SEEN BEFORE THAT'S A MAN THAT CHERISH'S HIS VETTE WHEELS WITH 2 WHEEL LOCK'S ON EACH WHEEL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Very nice! Love the base Malibus Very Happy

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 pm

wheels locks have long been taken off Laughing
Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! No_loc10
Laughing
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:47 pm

wow man the wheels made a huge difference. IT looks alot better....I think the stance is very nice too. maybe some air spring helpers in the rear so to keep the ride height when its loaded?
what no interior shots?

It looks as if you got the windows fixed as well?

Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:35 pm

BlackChevelleSS wrote:wow man the wheels made a huge difference. IT looks alot better....I think the stance is very nice too. maybe some air spring helpers in the rear so to keep the ride height when its loaded?
what no interior shots?

It looks as if you got the windows fixed as well?

Thanks man, since you're the only one on here that saw it with the wire hubcaps, that means a lot. I'm still debating on air bags to put inside the springs or I also have a set of 4" lift springs for a 68-72 A-body. I put them on the last 76 & it only raised about an inch, but the spring rate is sooo stiff, it completely changed the feel of the car. BTW in the pic, it's loaded down with a 12" sub, amp, & box, spare tire, jack, jackstands, some tools, & a couple of car seats.

Haha, I screwed with the little plastic roller for a couple of hours & said F*** it. I'm probably gonna just pay a glass shop to do it. Pain in my @$$, but I guess it's better than holding onto the window when you come to a stop or try to take off too fast. I've already lost one of them in the bottom & when I did get it "snapped on", it fell off within a day. I guess this is my biggest complaint about G3s is the genius that decided to stick with a frame-less door that weighs this much.

Yes I'll get some interior pics of my stereo system, blue & black seats with brown interior, & nice grant steering wheel. Just gotta clean her up some since this has become the family car for the moment (hate the wife's always broke down POS).
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:46 pm

At first I didn't care too much for the Vette wheels, but since I got a set of 235/70s all around they have really started to grow on me. I'm thinking of maybe going with a silver color & the black "73 stripes" I posted about a few weeks ago to really give it a retro look. Of course this will come farther down the road when I get bills caught up & get at least one of my other projects lined out & running.

Just so you guys know, 235s weren't my choice. My bro works at a shop & these were sitting in a corner still like new. For $200 mounted & balanced, I couldn't pass it up.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:27 pm

rago

what is wrong with your window?

and there is nuttin wrong with 235's.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:48 pm

Leave it brown,good sleeper look.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:31 am

1973 454 MONTE wrote:rago

what is wrong with your window?

and there is nuttin wrong with 235's.

Center roller comes off, every G3 Ive had has been this way. And if you put a new roller on, the regulator is already bent and pops it back off. Kinda stupid the way they did that with all the stress put on one roller.

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:58 am

Yup, pain in the rear trying to fix it & embarrassing trying to roll up the window & shut the door.

I like the 235s don't get me wrong, but they are just not wide enough to fill the wheel wells out back. Worst part is that the shop has ONE 295/50 & ONE 275/60. Oh well.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:07 pm

i wouldnt do the 295/50s cause they are too short, now a 295/60 would be awesome but only M/T makes those.

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:16 pm

I think 295/50s would look alright as long as it sat low enough, but a 315/50 or 325/50 would really fill the gap..... if you could find those sizes cheap enough.

I really think I'm gonna go with 275/60s in the back later on though. I've always been a big n' little fan, but these cars have so much fender to fill.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:34 pm

295's are probably going to be the best compromise for a street tire if you stay with a 15" rim. Most 325's and 315's are drag radials from what I've seen.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:13 pm

Yeah I didn't even know if they exist, but just for size comparison that would be perfect.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Rago wrote:Yeah I didn't even know if they exist, but just for size comparison that would be perfect.

i like the way the 275-60's all the way around look on my monte Laughing
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:47 pm

i think taking out those side windows (landau or whatever their called) would really make the slope of the roof line look awesome...make more of a fast back look to the car.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Are you talking about the large rear quarter windows? That's just what base model cars came with. That & the round headlights are what kept me searching for nearly 8 years. Most 76-77 cars had quad headlights & the small "opera" quarters. Barf IMHO those should have stayed on Montes where they belonged.

Landau tops are the vinyl tops found on some cars which only cover the rear half of the roof if I'm not mistaken.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:18 pm

Rago wrote:Are you talking about the large rear quarter windows? That's just what base model cars came with. That & the round headlights are what kept me searching for nearly 8 years. Most 76-77 cars had quad headlights & the small "opera" quarters. Barf IMHO those should have stayed on Montes where they belonged.

Landau tops are the vinyl tops found on some cars which only cover the rear half of the roof if I'm not mistaken.

yeah quarter windows are what i meant...if i ever get a 73-77 chevelle im going to do my own "delete" on those windows with sheet metal, put a laguna nose on it, and i think that thing would look MEAN. im talking about what they did to this monte but on the chevelle.

THIS:
Photobucket
TO THIS:
Photobucket
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Here you go:

Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! 3z428210
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:52 pm

A friend of mine did that to his 73 Laguna way back when I was in high school. Painted it black and if you can imagine- a whale tail spoiler.

After the initial shock, it didn't really look out of place.

He moved to California a few years ago, so if anyone sees it, that's my buddy!
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Rago wrote:Here you go:

Project Brown Eye..... not a 305 anymore! 3z428210

yeah man! that looks clean...the only thing i dont like about that particular car is the color and the stance and rims
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:09 am

It looks ok, but talk about a huge blind spot...

Hey rago when you getting this interior? All its doing is getting wet and rotting....

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next