G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Butyl size for windshield and back glass

5 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Butyl size for windshield and back glass Empty Butyl size for windshield and back glass

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:16 am

Id rather not get involved in the butyl vs. urethane pros and cons.

Its been quite a while since I set front and back glass in our cars.  I've always used butyl but I dont recall the size.  Was it 5/16" or 3/8" ?

I took some caliper measurements and I'm doing some math.  

Pinch weld (channel) depth  .830
Back Glass                          .220
Trim                                   .280

So .220 + .280  =  .500

.830 - .500  =  .330

3/8" butyl  = .375
5/16" butyl = .312

I'm thinking 3/8" is the size since its only .040" (1/32") thicker than what I need and you have to compress it to set it.

Anyone recall if its 5/16" or 3/8" for the front and back glass ?  

Thanks
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Butyl size for windshield and back glass Empty Re: Butyl size for windshield and back glass

Post by thatfnthing Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:34 am

I used 3/8" front and back. However, the trim fits pretty tightly, so 5/16" may work as well. 0.063" is not a huge difference.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Butyl size for windshield and back glass Empty Re: Butyl size for windshield and back glass

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 am

I'm about to tackle a rear window leak and did some research on this as well. The general consensus among those who have done this numerous times is to use 5/16" if reusing the original factory glass. Since replacement glass is said to be thinner, they recommended 3/8" for those.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:09 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:I'm about to tackle a rear window leak and did some research on this as well.  The general consensus among those who have done this numerous times is to use 5/16" if reusing the original factory glass.  Since replacement glass is said to be thinner, they recommended 3/8" for those.

I've read that as well. I'm reusing my original factory back glass. But with my math above, I'm thinking of going with 3/8". And thats what I kind of remember from back in the day when I did a bunch of these. I dont recall buying 5/16". The difference in thickness comes to be about 1/32" but thats before tapping it down to set it. It will be going down probably more than that. And with butyl, if its a pinch high in the future, you can heat the area and tap it down with the palm of your hand.

But starting with 5/16", with my measurements, I'm already starting .017 lower even before tapping to set it.

I think 3/8" is correct for our cars going from what I remember, comment by thatfnthing, and a couple replies I've received in the facebook groups.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Butyl size for windshield and back glass Empty size

Post by S3SS Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 pm

3/8 just did my original rear window last year...
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Cool. Thanks for the replies. I just ordered some 3/8". $21.80 with free shipping on ebay. 3M brand.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Okay, then...3/8" it is for me, too. Nothing speaks better than a couple of testimonials from fellow G3ers!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:16 pm

I used the 3/8 " "rope" for my Elco, front (new WS) and for the rear original glass. Knowing how leaks develop when the seal gets un-stuck from the glass in later years, I used a sealant around the edges, covering the glass/seal/metal joint. Did this mostly because of the rear window leaks common in El Caminos. ( those that l leak, and those that will !)

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down