G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape)

+2
pila
Mcarlo77
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) Empty Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape)

Post by Fishgrinder Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:55 am

When I stripped my car before starting on the pain prep, there was a sticky black glue behind the trim that holds the door opening weatherstripping in place. If I'm not mistaken, there was also some behind the biggest chrome trim pieces.

I reckon I'll have to reapply this now that I'm putting everything together again. So does anyone know what this glue/sealer is called?

Last edited by Fishgrinder on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) Empty Re: Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape)

Post by 77mali Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:59 am

I don't know what it was back then but I just bought the door seals, roof rails seals & trunk seal. Most of the weatherstrip manufacturers recommend you use the 3M weatherstip adhesive. See the link, they may also have larger tubes.
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?pid=3M8008&c=0&e=0&hid=F20AE1745&cat=F&trk=
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) Empty Re: Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape)

Post by Fishgrinder Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:23 am

I wasn't referring to the weatherstrip themselves, but the trim the weatherstrip goes into Wink. On the backside of this trim and against the body of the car, there's also some sort of glue.

But yeah, maybe I can just use the same adhesive as on the weatherstrip?

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:40 am

do you have a photo of the trim piece your referring to?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:09 am

The stuff you are describing is a sticky butyl sealer of sorts that presumably is more of a weather sealant rather than an adhesive. If I remember right, those stainless moldings are held in place with sheet metal screws as well? I'd recommend some sort of flexible sealant rather than an adhesive so you could separate the parts if needed some day (like when you want to tear your car apart and repaint it again!).
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:53 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:The stuff you are describing is a sticky butyl sealer of sorts that presumably is more of a weather sealant rather than an adhesive. If I remember right, those stainless moldings are held in place with sheet metal screws as well? I'd recommend some sort of flexible sealant rather than an adhesive so you could separate the parts if needed some day (like when you want to tear your car apart and repaint it again!).

That's spot on Mcarlo77, and yes, they are held in place with screws as well.

77mali: I don't have a picture, but it's the molding the weatherstrip stays in which runs along the upper half of the door opening. I hope Mcarlo77's explanation made more sense Smile

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:08 am

Yes...what a pain to remove and clean that was. I'm sure MC77 is correct. They use the same material to seal around the opera window glass, I think.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:41 am

I went through that with my Elco project, and like said, it was a job cleaning all the old sticky stuff off, which is actually a tape, 1/32 thick. I bought a roll of it off of Ebay. On mine, the stainless steel drip rail goes on first, with a strip of the tape on it, against the roof line. Then the rail that the roof seal goes into goes on, with another strip if the rubber seal tape. In fact I just got it together last week. Not a fun job, takes a little patience, which I have these days, now that I'm old & mellow !! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:55 pm

I would use 3M strip caulk

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Automotive-MMM8578-Strip-Black/dp/B000PEZ1L4

Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:25 pm

Fantastic!

I wonder if this tape from Wurth also does the trick:

http://www.wurth.com.au/catalogue/A03_0030.pdf

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:23 am

Look familiar? LOL.
Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) Dsc01813
Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) Dsc01814
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:03 am

77mali wrote:Look familiar? LOL.Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) Dsc01814

Mali don't lose that screw that's part of what holds your bottom rear armrest panel in

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:10 pm

LOL...it's been so long i forgot that! TY Limey! I do have srews, fasterners mounted as such...it will come back during reassembly (I hope).
Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) P1000110
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Here's what I've gotten hold of. They actually had it at a "regular" autoparts store here in my city. The Wurth one was bloody expensive, and was not in stock.

(no, it is not candy!)

Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) DSCF3242
Left one is 6mm wide, while the right one is 19mm. The latter is unfortunately grey as you see, but I doubt this will be visible behind the trim/rail, and with the door closed. If it's the case, I have to reconsider it.

Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) DSCF3243

I edited the thread title so it's more searchable for others in the future.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:04 pm

who's the manufacturer of the products you ended up with?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:50 pm

77mali wrote:who's the manufacturer of the products you ended up with?

I cant' find a label on it, must be exclusive for the the parts store or something.

pila wrote:I went through that with my Elco project, and like said, it was a job cleaning all the old sticky stuff off, which is actually a tape, 1/32 thick. I bought a roll of it off of Ebay. On mine, the stainless steel drip rail goes on first, with a strip of the tape on it, against the roof line. Then the rail that the roof seal goes into goes on, with another strip if the rubber seal tape. In fact I just got it together last week. Not a fun job, takes a little patience, which I have these days, now that I'm old & mellow !! Very Happy

Pila, would you mind describing the process a little more detail? For instance, did you make the tape overlap between the pieces?

Did you also put tape on the marked area here (a-beam), and also on the windshild side of it?

Sticky stuff behind trim and weatherstrip rail (butyl tape) Butyl

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down