G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the selling price of our cars these days?

+11
Hawk03
Showtime73
thatfnthing
pila
Mitchell Murphy
ant7377
Roadcaptain S3
fasrnur
Shaunaconda
Podor
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is the selling price of our cars these days? Empty What is the selling price of our cars these days?

Post by bitterfitter Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Lately I have been tossing around the idea of listing my car for sale.  I fully understand that I would never get close to the money I put into it.  That never was a concern as I never planned on parting with this car.  So what do you guys think a reasonable range would be for selling a 1974 Malibu?  I have seen stupid high asking prices but I could never figure those cars actually sold for that.

I'll give you a brief description:
Body is rust free with new paint, interior and vinyl top.
Car has a ZZ430 crate engine with a 2004-R trans
Engine is fuel injected with a FiTech EFI system
3:73 10 bolt posi
front suspension has all new items except the control arms themselves
rear suspension has tubular arms- uppers are adjustable
sway bars front and rear
2" drop springs all around -new not cut
brakes all stock and new at all 4 corners
fiberglass front fenders and 2 1/2" cowl hood
re-chromed grill and rear bumper
interior is blue with white swivels
factory console, gauges, tilt, P/S, P/W, P/L, P/B
factory CA1 skyroof option
all new weatherstripping
trunk looks like new
new headliner
2 1/2" dual exhaust to the rear bumper with X-pipe

you get the idea....What is the selling price of our cars these days? Img_0111
What is the selling price of our cars these days? Img_0110

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

What is the selling price of our cars these days? Empty Re: What is the selling price of our cars these days?

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Your car has some rare options, particularly the sky roof. This should add quite a bit to the selling price. Not sure what you should ask but to give you an idea here is a car I sold in 2011 for $15k. I would think your car should bring at least that or more. Hope this helps.

What is the selling price of our cars these days? Driver10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

What is the selling price of our cars these days? Empty Re: What is the selling price of our cars these days?

Post by bitterfitter Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:28 pm

That's interesting. Did it take awhile for you to sell it at that price? I see many of our cars up for sale around the $8500 asking price. I never figured you would have sold that vehicle for over $10,000, seven years ago...

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 pm

If I may ask, why are you selling? You just put a huge amount of work into it.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:29 pm

It’s hard to pin point one reason.
My son is a sophomore at a private school. He has 2 years until college and the money would help further his education.
I’ve been driving a late model Camaro for a few years now. This car will do everything this ‘74 will only better. I have taken my Camaro to the track and whooped some serious big blocks.
I have always loved cars. Not just Chevys or just A bodies or just big blocks. I have really started enjoying European cars new and old. I may trade the Camaro for a BMW M6.
This summer I bought a new truck. I decided to get everything I wanted in this truck and ended up buying a $70k truck. I found that I love my truck and don’t regret what I bought at all. It is not to impress anyone; just to make the miles I drive every year more pleasant. And that it does.
I also love to work on cars more than enjoying the finished car. I love to have a project waiting in the garage for me. This one is done.

I won’t sell the car for $5000. I do love the car and would keep it and keep driving it if it came to that. GoFast

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 pm

I'd say plan on keeping it.
I have been trying to sell my 77 since July. It's a REALLY good car compared to most 73-77 Chevelles. I figured it was worth around 8k.
I watched the Ebay SELLING prices and they mostly go for between 4000 and 8000
Lagunas and SS a little more and the 73s seem to get a little more too.
3 runs on Ebay and the highest bid was 3800. I've had it on CL and 73-77 FB pages for months and all I get are low ball and trade offers, mostly for stuff I'm not interested in. 70s-90s Vettes, 90s Camaros, Ford trucks, Motorcycles etc.
I dropped the price to 7500...nothing.
Dropped it to 6750...still nothing.

But it's just a stock 77. Very low miles and in pristine condition, but it's still just a 77 Malibu Classic.

Your has a lot of serious upgrades that make it more attractive.

I think these cars just aren't loved enough by most folks for somebody to pony up serious bucks when they can have a more popular car for the same money or a little more.

You just have to find the right guy that really knows and appreciates what these cars are and there ain't many of us around.

I'm probably just going to move it to a friends for the winter and try again in the spring. If I can't sell it then, I'll plan on hot rodding it with an LS swap and custom stuff.

Good luck, I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for the info. That’s kind of exactly what I was afraid of. I may put it out there in late winter and see what happens. I kinda figured I’d end up keeping it and driving it anywhere and everywhere I go.
I guess I could be in a way worse situation. 😁

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:00 pm

True.
Either way, we have pretty cool cars. Worse things have happened.

I do think that your car would definitely bring more than the standard 73-77.
But not what it really should.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:12 pm

That was kinda my question at the start. What number would I expect to see and what do all you guys think it should pull. Realistically.
I kind of figured I would realistically see it sell for about the price of the engine alone. ZZ430 engines new are going for $7600-$10000 with no accessories on the front.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Podor Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:55 pm

That thing is sweet! It seems like the ones that are selling are ones that are different. I paid $4400 for mine, which is a '77 Malibu Classic 305 car with 52k miles, bench seats, working AC. The body is super clean with original paint and vinyl top. It's bone stock except for an Edlebrock intake and carb. It sat on Craigslist for a while, and I talked him down from $5000. But, it's a plain Malibu Classic. I think he would still have it if I didn't buy it.

Yours has a ton of factory options, including the coveted swivel buckets and console. If the engine and trans are installed cleanly (which I'm sure they are), I would say you could get $15k. The problem is finding the right buyer.
Podor
Podor
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Well I am thinking that there will not be a line at my door  looking to buy my car so until then I will be driving the wheels off it.
I figure since I love working on these cars so much, I will continue to build the car. I may look into doing a big block or 4 speed for the car next...😛

Actually I’d love to look into doing an electric conversion. That would be different!!

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaunaconda Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:01 am

I wouldn't go any lower than 10,000.
Shaunaconda
Shaunaconda
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Showtime73 Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 am

Try some non-traditional wheels to attract attention and boost the price. I'd say that probably helped g3Chevy a bunch.
Showtime73
Showtime73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:11 am

You are right about the wheels. I bought these tires and had them on them on the rims that came with the car just to get her going and dial it in. I have new ones on my list for replacement over winter.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:17 pm

That's one sweet looking ride there sir. I'd buy it if I had the money and knew what you have into it I'd make you a reasonable offer.
Sadly enough our cars will never bring the money that the older gen Chevelles bring. But those cars have leveled off and even dropped a little in price lately. If some one goes into a project to make money, chances are good they're going to lose their shorts. I myself buy a car and build it to drive it, and drive the living crap out of it. The last toy I had was a V-8 S10 that I had for 14 years and put 120,000 miles on it with the V-8 in it.
My 75 Malibu was bought for $2500 running and driving and I don't see getting rid of it for a LONG time.
What is the selling price of our cars these days? Barn10
What is the selling price of our cars these days? 21765111
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:22 pm

You are very right. I always tell my brother you need to build them for yourself, not to try and make money on. I built this car because I had a blue ‘74 growing up. Loved it and I built this car for me. I didn’t cheap out on anything. I built this one to keep forever. Selling was just a thought but it looks like it will stay with me. Not a bad thing. 😁

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:36 pm

I kinda think that if you do sell, you might be kicking yourself shortly afterward.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Had the same thought this morning.
But I could always build another project.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:49 pm

You have a nice car there don't take a beating on it. On another note sure the older cars bring more money-when they sell. Follow a few some never sell. People live in fantasy land on some stuff but price it right and it will go.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitchell Murphy Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 pm

The factory sky roof option alone is worth anyone buying the car- don't "Give it away". A friend of mine is the General manager of Auto Barn Classic cars in Concord NC. His name is Tom Marshall. He has sold about 10 cars for me and my Dad, and I have one up there now the 64 Corvair Spyder. If you look at the SOLD inventory, you will see a 54 Chevrolet Bel Air and a 2007 Colorado, they were my Dad's and my truck. Tom sold my 73 Chevelle SS 454 back in 2007-it went to Alberta Canada. They do get results, they also sold my 73 Chevelle SS 454 Wagon for me too. Give Tom a call and tell him that you are a friend of mine and he will take it in on consignment at no fee. Since they are 5 miles from Charlotte Motor Speedway, they get a lot of traffic. When I was up there last time thay had 3 Nascar guys in there walking around. Plus, Richard Petty has a lot of cars stored there also. And the best part is you have excellent indoor free storage because it is for sell. Just tell them what you want for the car, and they will add their commission on top of that. Their number is (704) 788-2765- Thank You-Mitch and Merry Christmas!

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks Mitch - If I get to the point where it has to go, then I would probably take you up on that offer. For now, I would drive and enjoy the car instead of putting it in the showroom.

Now I just have to decide what wheels to put on this car. I was thinking aluminum instead of steel. Not sure if I should go 15" or 17" ? I was kinda thinking something like 285/40/17 in the back.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:11 pm

FWIW, I started with 275/40/17 at all corners, but they looked too short to me, especially in the back. So I went to 275/50/17 in back and it looks a lot better. My guess is that the 285's additional 10mm will change the side profile some, but not much.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:54 pm

That’s great info and good place to start. I’m hoping I can talk one of the local tire shops into letting me try on s couple sets. I have a good relationship with a couple shops here. 😁

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:18 pm

I determined many years ago, that doing a project to suit what I wanted it to be, was gonna cost money that I would never recover when it came time to sell it.  Same thing happens with airplanes....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 pm

You are right. I remember Jay Leno saying if your not building for yourself because you love it and plan on keeping it then you’re going to loose money. That’s how I treated this build. It was built for me. Until now I never even thought of parting with it.
Unless someone has to have it more than me it will stay here and I’ll just add on to the garage for another car. 😳

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next