G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about selling.. feeler...

+8
knightfan26917
73guna
77mali
thatfnthing
ant7377
bracketchev1221
Limey SE
73ss
12 posters

Go down

Thinking about selling.. feeler... Empty Thinking about selling.. feeler...

Post by 73guna Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Im just puttin a feeler out there and hoping for some advice/opinions.
The old 73 just sits in the garage gathering dust.
Every 6 months or so I think about letting it go only to change my mind.
Im seriously thinking about selling it and all the parts Ive amassed through the years.
I bought her about 13 yrs ago, played with it a couple years, then started tearing it apart in the garage where it sits now.
Ive come to realize that Im most likely not going to be able to restore it like I had wanted.
Kids and work keep me very busy and I think someone with more ambition then me deserves this car to get it back on the road.
Im at a crossroads and leaning toward selling it with the thought of getting a finished nice driver in the future.
No drive train, it suppossedly has 30k on it. The car is very solid with the exception of the rear quarters and some rust around rear tail lights. Floor pan solid, no rust under the doors where the skins folds under the bottom door lip.
Couple sets of swivel buckets, auto. floor consoles, n.o.s. outer wheel houses, goodmark quarter panel skins, couple dash bezels, gauge clusters, I have the stainless quarter window trim, extra laguna 73 grills, extra door panels (upper and lower) extra interior parts, dual hump cross members, its has a new windshield, huge 1 1/4" front and rear sway bars (try finding a set of those), extra 75 laguna nose complete, and a lot more Ive probably forgotten.
I also have a ford 9" rear end from quick performance,this thing is an all out brute and very strong. i think I paid $2700 for it, this might be best sold seperately.
I need to take inventory and detailed pics but this is just an off the top of my head estimate of wht I have.
Anyway Im just rambling and if I'd sell I would like to sell all together.
What do you guys think I could sell it for as a package?
I know I could get a lot more if I sold parts individually, but Im really not interested going that route.

Thinking about selling.. feeler... 07-08034

Thinking about selling.. feeler... 06-03046

Thinking about selling.. feeler... Cars256

73guna
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Thinking about selling.. feeler... Empty Re: Thinking about selling.. feeler...

Post by 73ss Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:02 pm

So hard to put a price on something like this. You never come out ahead, much less break even. Even the nicest #1 condition G3's of any type struggle to fetch 20k.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Mitch I know you are in sorta the Same spot I was in with My black one ............ But Get all your parts in One spot and dedicate some weekends to get the Bug Back ......I know you dont want to part it out but that would be the only way to get even close to you want for the Whole Car, Get everything accounted for that you need to reassemble and then decide what you want to part with.

Just My .02 cents My friend What ever you decide it will be the right one I am sure

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:44 am

Sometimes its for the best. Especially if your heart isn't in it. My Chevelle, I can buy anything I want for it and it doesn't bother me because its what I want to do. The Nova and the Malibu were not what I really wanted and I kept seeing something and saying "oh I can't wait to fix that" it was "how much is that going to cost or oh something ELSE is broken." Finally you have had enough and just let it go and move on to something you can enjoy more.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:48 am

You sell it, you'll want it back sooner rather than later. It's a unique car. It would be really hard to find a another.
Is it in the way? Is it costing you anything to keep it?

Option 1:
Get everything together and price it as a package. Right now is a weird time for 73 Chevelles. I've seen some priced well/cheap (IMO) sit for months with no apparent interest. But I've also seen some that appear way overpriced (to me) sell very quickly. Go into it knowing it could take a while to sell. Projects are even harder to sell. Many buyers are in the same boat as you, and many others don'y have the tools or the space to put a car together.
As far as price, from what info you have I'd wouldn't go any less than 8k.
I'd go with ebay first. Put it up as a classified and see if you get any interest.
Ebay sux, but you get lots of exposure and it can be a good gauge as to how much interest there is. Plus, classifieds are free.

Option 2.
You ain't working on it because you walk out there, see a giant project and think it's way too much work and it will never get done.
Been there...most of us have.
Find a couple of hours to work on it every week. Even if it's just thirty minutes here and there.  Start small and cheap. After a month, step back and look at your progress. You will be surprised at how much you can get done in that time.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:52 am

Farm out what you dont want to do,yeah it will cost more but it will give you the motivation to do something else. I like your car,neat color and stance. Sometimes when you tackle too much at once its overwhelming. I know I feel like that sometimes.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:02 am

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:You sell it, you'll want it back sooner rather than later. It's a unique car.

I think this is a very important consideration.  Make sure you won't later regret having lost it.  We've seen that story a number of times here where someone tried to track down their original car or a replacement.  If that's the case, you definitely want to go with option #2.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:16 am

Going through some similar stuff myself....kids, college, work, money, etc. It's safe in your garage- keep it and when you have time-etc. do what you can. Eventually it will get done. Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:31 pm

Why dont you sell some of the parts you dont need. Get a drive train and put together a Nice driver. You can then enjoy it from time to time, And maybe some day things are different and you can start a full restoration. Some times though all you need is to get your self in the garage and get started, then the interest comes back and you get the energy to get it done. If you also lower your expectations, and just settle for getting the worse things done maybe that will get you in the mood.

Most of us has had the urge to sell a project and move on. But seldom can you get what you have in it back, and you almost miss it as soon as it is gone. I have sold cars in the past i still regret selling. So Think hard about it. Espesially because If you regret it its hard to find another one like the one you sold. It would be Easy er If you where a camaro guy.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by 73guna Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks for the advice guys and I appreciate your nudge for me to keep the car.
Yep, projects are a tough sell too.
Hs1973 your very much correct that it would be easier if it was a camaro or 64-72 chevelle, mustang etc... Those are every where.
I know I'd regret selling.
Sometimes life gets overwhelming and you need to simplify.
Its something that I have time to think about, if I tried to inventory parts and take pics and deal with buyers I'd just be fueling the fire and making life even more busy then it is.
Im 48 and aint exactly a spring chicken anymore.
We just bought a camper and are going to focus on camping trips and family time this summer and try to enjoy my vacations from work as opposed to working around the house.
My son said he would contact Overhaulin and see if they would "fix it" for me. Very Happy Might be an option I'll let him look into that.
Come on Chip Foose a 73 laguna would be an awesome build. cheers cheers

73guna
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:37 pm

73guna wrote:I know I'd regret selling.
Sometimes life gets overwhelming and you need to simplify.

Yep ... very true.  & those 2 situations don't exactly mix together well.  I was forced to "simplify" &, at the time, didn't like it.  But, now, after a few things have happened & such, I'm OK with it, even though in some cases, I fully regret selling.  It's definitely a balance that I'm not sure is ever quite really achieved or even obtainable for that matter.

BUT, life goes on ... & so do we!

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 79 CC to 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis?!
"You know we'll have a good time then" __ Harry Chapin __ 'Cats In The Cradle'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:07 pm

73ss wrote:Even the nicest #1 condition G3's of any type struggle to fetch 20k.

I think in todays economy, many cars struggle to fetch 20K.

What's funny(and sad) is that buyers are usually not willing to pay up for a completed car.  But will happily spend significantly more to build from scratch, thinking they will save money.

Sometimes they end up spending significantly more to build from scratch and ending up with significantly less than had they bought one done.
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:25 pm

BBMALIBU wrote:
73ss wrote:Even the nicest #1 condition G3's of any type struggle to fetch 20k.

Sometimes they end up spending significantly more to build from scratch and ending up with significantly less than had they bought one done.

Nearly always.

I'd say it's really rare to build a car for what it costs to buy one completed.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Or just put it on the backburner until you have ttime and energy again. Just make sure it is stores Nice and dry, and it can sit forever. You never know If you one day have the urge to get it done. If you sell the money to would bring is not enough to make up for the loss. When it is spend you will feel like someone stole it from you. One thing is selling and getting paid good, another is selling and not getting near what you hoped for. Trust me i know. I had to sell my dodge charger years back, the economy was in the toilet, and i Got sick and couldent work. So i let it go for alot less than i wanted for it, and to this day i regret selling and feel like the guy stole it. I see it from time to time, and hate it every time i do.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Thinking about selling.. feeler... Empty to 73laguna from 73 stroker

Post by 73 stroked Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:44 am

I'm interested if you're wanting to sell parts i'd like to put a laguna front nose on my 73 elcamino, I would like to put swivel buckets in her, would like to put round gauges in her with tack etc. need new instrument panel I also need a right inner fender well. if you decide you want to sell parts. thanks & good luck!!!!

73 stroked
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down