G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1976 Grand Prix T-Tops

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

1976 Grand Prix T-Tops Empty 1976 Grand Prix T-Tops

Post by Abashore1980 Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi all, new to the forum here! I have a '76 Grand Prix with the American Hatch T-tops. The seals obviously leak. I've been doing some sniffing around the web to try and find new seals, but I can't find anything at all for this specific application. The best I can find so far is seals for a 78 Hurst Hatch T-top. I'm pretty sure it won't fit at all.

Does anyone know where I can find these, or if there is another application I could use? Something close at least? I checked out Steele Rubber's universal stuff but nothing really looks close.

I tried to take care not to further damage the weatherstrip seals when removing them. In the event I need to reuse them, I had some ideas on reconditioning them, but I'd rather buy new if it's an option.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

Abashore1980
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

1976 Grand Prix T-Tops Empty Re: 1976 Grand Prix T-Tops

Post by Joe73 Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Also search for sil-glyde. Theres some info out there about reconditioning rubber parts with it. Ive tried it and it works well. And its also great on sliding parts on brake calipers.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Abashore1980 Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks, I've heard that stuff works well. I have a tube of it that I use to grease the caliper slides every time I work on disc brakes. I've heard dielectric grease or bulb grease works well too.

I've called a few dealerships that actually installed the t-tops back in the 70's and 80's. Nothing but dead ends. Looks like I may have to go the reconditioning route.

Abashore1980
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:45 pm

I've heard the cry of "help" for years now from guys looking for Hurst t-top seals for '73-'77 years who are unable to find them. And, from what I understand, each t-top supplier had their own unique design...so, chances of one brand working with another is slim to none. I think you'd have a better chance at winning the lottery than finding a set of the lesser known American Hatch seals.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:27 pm

Try steele rubber products . Maybe they sell a bulk product that would work.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Abashore1980 Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:11 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I've heard the cry of "help" for years now from guys looking for Hurst t-top seals for '73-'77 years who are unable to find them.  And, from what I understand, each t-top supplier had their own unique design...so, chances of one brand working with another is slim to none.  I think you'd have a better chance at winning the lottery than finding a set of the lesser known American Hatch seals.  

I'll cross my fingers for the next Powerball drawing then

Abashore1980
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Abashore1980 Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:12 pm

ant7377 wrote:Try steele rubber products . Maybe they sell a bulk product that would work.

Thanks, already checked them out. Nothing similar, but I may be able to MacGuyver something. We shall see.

Abashore1980
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down