G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings

+2
bracketchev1221
SSTOOLMAN
6 posters

Go down

Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings Empty Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings

Post by SSTOOLMAN Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:31 pm

Hey Guys, I will be in the market for rear upper and lower control arm bushings in the near future. Any suggestions? Part numbers:?:
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings Empty Re: Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:32 am

What do you plan on using the car for? Regular street I would just use stock Moog bushings. If you are looking for performance handling, you could upgrade to polyurethane bushings, but then the bars become the weak link and flex. So, that being said it may be worth upgrading to new rear arms with new bushings installed.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings Empty Re: Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:41 am

I run polyurethane in my stock arms.  Factory sway bar stiffens up the lowers.  But put new rubber in the differential housing otherwise your will get suspension bind.  
I run poly in my fronts and rear arms. Dont forget to lube them with the supplied lube or you'll get squeaks. If you run out of lube, the stuff is "Super-Lube" with PTFE. Comes in a small tube for about 10 bucks. Awesome stuff.
If your putting out some good power or running sticky tires then new arms are a good idea.
Here's a video on how to get he old bushing out real easy.  Works like a champ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXf1OR9Lnk
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:51 am

If you are interested in upgrading to solid fabricated upper arms, I have two i'd be willing to sell, They come with poly bushings on the frame end.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:00 am

I have a set of poly bushings from Energy Suspension I just bought. I used the dif bushings and then decided to go with new arms that had bushings in them. I paid $83 for the set. $50.00 shipped buys the rest.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:25 pm

I did poly red bushings in my stock control arms on my 73 with the special lube and after 3 months they squeaked so bad I ended up swapping out all the control arms for ones with grease Zerk's in them. Here is a post on control arms you find interesting. I have added a sway bar also and what a huge difference it all made.

If I was replacing stock ones I would drill and install grease Zerk in them.

https://www.g3gm.com/t8255-what-rear-control-arms-are-people-using?highlight=rear+control+arms
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Unless your running spherical ends on the upper arms I wouldnt put poly on the diff side. It will bind.
Theres a bunch of info on the net about diff bind with poly on the diff side. Even the mustang guys run rubber on the diff and poly everywhere else.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:57 pm

I am hoping this make that much difference.  These cars had that mushy floaty feel when they were new.  Hopefully with the 2" lowering springs front and rear, 3.73 gears and 1-1/8 sway bars front and rear it will handle like it should.  These are Spohn arms.
Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings 20150210
Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings 20150211
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:04 pm

That will help...my setup is similar.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Oh it will handle nice. I've read on a couple of forums on how much better the 73-77 A body suspension geometry is a big improvement over the 64-72 in the handling area.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Pretty anxious to get this thing out on the road in the spring. The LS is running great. Ordered the swivel bucket and rear seat covers this morning. Need to button up the wiring inside the car and put the new front sway bar on and she should be ready for her maiden run.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:25 pm

who did you order the cover from??
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Got em on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261213716372?item=261213716372&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I've done a few sets of bucket seats before and have a steam and heat gun. Still kind of concerned about how hard these are to cover.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Thats the same auction I've been looking at. I think thats a good deal. You going for the new foam as well??
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:58 pm

[quote="michiganlarry"]I am hoping this make that much difference.  These cars had that mushy floaty feel when they were new.  Hopefully with the 2" lowering springs front and rear, 3.73 gears and 1-1/8 sway bars front and rear it will handle like it should.  These are Spohn arms.

You will love the way it will feel now. It was a night and day difference in mine. I have basically the same set up and gears as you do.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Joe73 wrote:Thats the same auction I've been looking at.  I think thats a good deal.  You going for the new foam as well??

I'm going to wait until I uncover the old ones to see what they look like.  They are in pretty good shape other than the seams splitting and  I want to make sure the front and rears match.

Last edited by michiganlarry on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Wallyuph wrote:
michiganlarry wrote:I am hoping this make that much difference.  These cars had that mushy floaty feel when they were new.  Hopefully with the 2" lowering springs front and rear, 3.73 gears and 1-1/8 sway bars front and rear it will handle like it should.  These are Spohn arms.

You will love the way it will feel now. It was a night and day difference in mine. I have basically the same set up and gears as you do.

I know!  I have been watching your posts.  Still need to mount the computer and fab up console and seat mounts. I haven't really worked on the car in over a year.  Had a heart attack and a couple surgeries last Oct.  Ticker is good as new again.  My son will be coming home from the Navy this fall so my time is growing short to have it done.  We just purchased this for him to bomb around in out in San Diego. So I need to get the Chevelle wrapped up so I can start on the 64 F100 next winter.
Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings 00808_10
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:21 pm

Nice rides. You wont wont to give up the Car after you start driving it believe me.

Whats the plans for the truck?
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:13 am

The car belongs to my son in the Navy.  I had the same Chevelle in 75 brand new.  When he was a senior in high school7 years ago we found it on ebay down in Ohio and bought it.  Built the snot out of the 350 that was in it and it ran very nice.  Unfortunately it got about 10mpg.  Since I didn't have to help him with college tuition I told him I would repower it with a modern drive train while he was gone.

The truck is going to remain mostly stock.  I am planning on upgrading the brakes to a dual master disk up front system and give it a fresh paint job.  We are the third owners and I love the old 6 cyl 3 on the tree so it stays.

Last edited by michiganlarry on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:36 am

michiganlarry wrote:The car belongs to my son in the Navy.  I had the same Chevelle in 75 brand new.  When he was a senior in high school7 years ago we found it on ebay down in Ohio and bought it.  Built the snot out of the 350 that was in it and it ran very nice.  Unfortunately it got about 10mpg.  Since I didn't have to help him with college tuition I told him I would repower it with a modern drive train while he was gone.

The truck is going to remain mostly stock.  I am planning on upgrading the brakes to a dual master disk up front system and give it a fresh paint job.  We are the third owners and I lover the old 6 cyl 3 on the tree so it stays.

SWEEEEEET!

you will love the setup as the car is already cool but with the upgrades its like buying a new car but way nicer.

Truck looks like its in really good shape. I give you a year of driving and we will see a LS set up in that two. HA
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:25 pm

LOL. You are probably right. I have been reading about swapping the entire front suspension from a Crown Victoria police interceptor into these old Fords. Its supposed to be a faily easy swap and you get a modern suspension and fuel injected engine along with rack and pinion steering. Time will tell.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:28 pm

michiganlarry wrote:LOL.  You are probably right.  I have been reading about swapping the entire front suspension from a Crown Victoria police interceptor into these old Fords.  Its supposed to be a faily easy swap and you get a modern suspension and fuel injected engine along with rack and pinion steering.  Time will tell.

It will be a real sleeper if you hid the exhaust up under rear valance. Just leave one small exhaust tip from the 6 banger showing.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down