G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What rear control arms are people using?

+10
thatfnthing
Joe73
Hawk03
Colonnade Mattie
pila
oldstofty
ant7377
BK-75
Wallyuph
chevellelaguna
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

rear control arms - What rear control arms are people using? Empty What rear control arms are people using?

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:51 pm

I want to setup the back of the malibu to take some decent load in order to get traction. I am thinking adjustable arms up top for pinion angle and standard type on the bottom. I want to be able to use a stock sway bar in the rear since there currently is none. The stock sway bar will add a little resistance to the standard 64-88 body roll that occurs when these cars leave the starting line. Last time I did a suspension like this all that was available was to box the arms with a plate welded across the bottom. Hotchkis had just started making parts back then for these cars.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

rear control arms - What rear control arms are people using? Empty Re: What rear control arms are people using?

Post by Joe73 Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Ive never.run a sway bar when.drag racing. If u need a little stiffer rear arm just grab some flat stock and weld it to the bottom and up around the bushing ends. Theres some pics of.it on google images.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

rear control arms - What rear control arms are people using? Empty Re: What rear control arms are people using?

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:11 pm

I was in the same boat, nothing available
when I first built my car in 1995. I ended up boxing the upper rear arms, and installed poly bushings. Have a factory rear sway bar, this set up has served very well, always had great traction and no body roll.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Joe73 wrote:Ive never.run a sway bar when.drag racing.  If u need a little stiffer rear arm just grab some flat stock and weld it to the bottom and up around the bushing ends.   Theres some pics of.it on google images.

Oh yeah rear sway bars are the thing to have now. It tries to keep the lower bars parallel to each other. I ran one in my chevelle going 10.50's. stock ones aren't as effective as the heavy bolt in or weld in bars that you can adjust but it is better than nothing.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:16 pm

I have pmt fabrication arms. They accept a stock sway bar (after you shim it down a little)  I bought them from ebay.
rear control arms - What rear control arms are people using? Photobucket-32655-1362749781354_zps8a5e7c12.
here it is prior to installation.  Beer

Last edited by dynchel on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added picture)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:23 pm

dynchel wrote:I have pmt fabrication arms. They accept a stock sway bar (after you shim it down a little)  I bought them from ebay.

Me too, although mine are round with adjustable uppers, and I didn't have to shim anything.  Oddly, though, I did have to use them upside-down, as the zerk fittings were in the way of the sway bar in the right-side-up position.  Of course, maybe the decals were just applied wrong.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks guys. I have seen them on eBay. It helps hearing from people that used them. The only other thing I want to use is the triangulation bar that goes from the upper to lower to stiffen it all.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Are you trying to keep the lower arms parallel while launching where the right rear tries to squat and lift the drivers front? If so, my buddies always removed the rear bar and put in an air bag inside the spring. That way they could preload the right rear and keep the rear planted.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:22 pm

I just ordered up a set of these as I replaced my stock bushing with non grease-able urethane ones and now they squeak so wanted a set that was grease-able. I asked and stock sway bar will fit. They run bolts down from top to the sway bar. I have not got them yet. They are adjustable on uppers arms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281206887648?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
rear control arms - What rear control arms are people using? <a href=rear control arms - What rear control arms are people using? Contro10" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-75 Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:33 pm

I went with these from Spohn Performance in PA last summer.  Very stout units, have grease fittings and the sway bar mounting holes. They really did a nice job firming things up out back.

Apologies on the poor Iphone pics:

rear control arms - What rear control arms are people using? Lowersidebyside_zpse9bc27a7

rear control arms - What rear control arms are people using? Lowercontolarm_zps03173eb2

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1973-1977-GM-A-Body/Suspension/Rear-Lower-Control-Arms/1973-1977-GM-A-Body-Rear-Lower-Control-Arms-Boxed-with-Poly-Bushings.html
BK-75
BK-75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Ive got spohn as well on my 77.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:51 pm

I run hotchkis bars on my car. No sway bar but rear girdle with support bar welded to the rear end
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:42 pm

I have the adjustable uppers on my 9 inch Ford rear, to adjust the pinion angle.
I have a stock sway bar from a Chevelle, but it hangs too low, and I removed it. Maybe some other G3 bar would work better (?)

Anyone remember an item in an older thread about brackets that connect the upper & lower front attach points on the rear bars ? They were factory add-ons I believe, to add stiffness to the suspension, or maybe the frame ? Don't remember the details.

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:26 am

I started a thread on them. They were factory up to '72 on big block and 4 spd. cars. Here's the thread. I think they are beneficial on the frame.

https://www.g3gm.com/t7899-rear-frame-supports
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Thanks Joe ! Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Thanks again Joe..I ordered those from Global West. With the gussets I already welded in at the control arm attach points, the rear frame should stay where it belongs.

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Did they charge you shipping? I went through jegs for them because they price match right online and they have free shipping.

Just a thought.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:28 pm

I was looking at global west kits and got the PST catalog yesterday and they had a nice set too.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:49 pm

I haven't bought anything from Jegs yet, and didn't know about the shipping !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:31 am

Two things. The global west bars mount to the front bolt of the lower control arm and to a hole that you have to drill in the bottom of your cross member. Not a big deal but thought you should know. I was under the impression that they bolted to the upper control arm in the rear like the pre '72 cars.
If you go to the global west site and find your bars, just copy the link and go to the jegs site and find the same bars. They're more expensive at jegs but they have a link on the page where you can paste the link and they will do an automatic price match for you and add it to your cart. Real cool feature on jegs site. I use it all the time.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks again Joe !! Drilling holes is no big deal of course. When I saw the picture of the bars, I wondered why the fitting on one end was about 90 degrees rotation from the other end. You answered that question  Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 pm

I just ordered a pair of those myself. tongue
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:46 am

I never had the triagulation brace on my 70, but I will put them on the 76. I did have the rollcage welded to the top of the spring mount though to stiffen that.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:51 pm

I got the 3C fab racing non adjustable ones..really like them so far.rear control arms - What rear control arms are people using? Image-20
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Anyone bought/used these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lower-control-arms-boxed-welded-chevelle-elcamino-lamans-gto-monte-regal-/111004610164?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1977%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3AMalibu&hash=item19d863ee74&vxp=mtr

rear control arms - What rear control arms are people using? $_57
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next