G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing front bumper from 73 chevelle coupe

5 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Removing front bumper from 73 chevelle coupe Empty Removing front bumper from 73 chevelle coupe

Post by fishhead Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:02 pm

It's time to confront the rust demons hiding in my front bumper assembly and I need a little advice on which bolts to remove.It looks like 4 horizontal bolts on each safety absorber will get me started but I'm really stressed about possibly damaging the bumper fillers as the bumper drops.Anybody been through this procedure?

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Removing front bumper from 73 chevelle coupe Empty Re: Removing front bumper from 73 chevelle coupe

Post by thatfnthing Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:12 pm

1. Unbolt the bumper fillers completely from the fender sides and beneath the headlight bezels.

2. Get a rolling jack under the center of the bumper and jack it up until you unload the weight of the bumper from the front wheels.

3. Unbolt the four big horizontal bolts from each bumper shock.  If the bolts are not loose in the holes when you loosen the nuts, you have either jacked it up too much or not enough -- adjust it until they come out easily.

4. Carefully roll the jack backward and the whole bumper assembly with it.

5. Remove the fillers from the bumper and get to work. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Removing front bumper from 73 chevelle coupe Empty Re: Removing front bumper from 73 chevelle coupe

Post by 77mali Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:54 pm

The bumpers can come off by just unbolting it from the frame via the 1 large bolt on the back end of the bumper shock (see pic below). It is a heavy Sum'bitch when it's all taken off in one piece but it's easier to disassemble & work on bolts brackets, etc off the car than under- especially when separating the chrome piece from the bumper "frame".

Removing front bumper from 73 chevelle coupe Img_0010
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Paul. I know those arent 73 mounts but Im curious as to why tbe different length shocks.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Sorry- one of each there from both front & rear sets Embarassed

Short ones are from the back.

Do the 73's have the same connection to the frame?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:56 pm

77mali wrote:The bumpers can come off by just unbolting it from the frame via the 1 large bolt on the back end of the bumper shock (see pic below). It is a heavy Sum'bitch when it's all taken off in one piece but it's easier to disassemble & work on bolts brackets, etc off the car than under- especially when separating the chrome piece from the bumper "frame".

Removing front bumper from 73 chevelle coupe Img_0010
Unless what you have is different than what I have, that won't work w/o removing the bolts at the end of the frame.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm

I didn't read the title fully...says removal from a 73 LOL (you guy's & your funky one year only stuff!)

My car (77) is way different I guess. Anyway- I should have read the title better.
lol!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Yes, the 74-77 front bumper shocks will bolt to the frame of a 73. But a 73 does not have REAR bumper shocks.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:47 pm

My '74 doesn't have the rear bolt he is referring to.  When I swapped the rear shocks to the front I omitted them and the bumper is still attached.  Maybe '77 is different..
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:52 am

Thanky,thanky! I'm amazed at the amount of plastic in the front of this thing.Keeps me on edge every time I work with the stuff since it's freakin' hard to find if it gets broke and getting too pricey on E-bay.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down