G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 front bumper sink in - how far in?

+4
impalamonte
Limey SE
Oldschool454
wbaker01
8 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

73 front bumper sink in - how far in? Empty 73 front bumper sink in - how far in?

Post by wbaker01 Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm having tropdeprojet build me some front bumper brackets to sink in the front bumper on my 73 and am wondering, for those of you who have sunk a 73 front bumper, how far back did you go in?

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

73 front bumper sink in - how far in? Empty Re: 73 front bumper sink in - how far in?

Post by tropdeprojet Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Nobody can have this information?

Someone who has a 73 Malibu or El Camino and have some time to take measurements, will be appreciate!
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

73 front bumper sink in - how far in? Empty Re: 73 front bumper sink in - how far in?

Post by Oldschool454 Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 pm

My brother has a 73 and just did this. He just drilled holes in his front absorbers to let the fluid out and was able to push the bumper back 6 inches. I didn't think it would look good at first but after seeing it, it actually looks really good.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:21 pm

I can check my 73.
Gimme some idea of how you want me to measure.
Do you just need the length of the bumper shocks?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:I can check my 73.
Gimme some idea of how you want me to measure.
Do you just need the length of the bumper shocks?

Only look the maximum we can move back the front bumper to be close to the grill and fenders but don't hit them. Thanks
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Oldschool454 wrote:My brother has a 73 and just did this. He just drilled holes in his front absorbers to let the fluid out and was able to push the bumper back 6 inches. I didn't think it would look good at first but after seeing it, it actually looks really good.

Really 6 inch! This is big.
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:11 pm

I dont think there is Enough room in the Shock to move it back That Far

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm gonna get a pic with a tape measure running the length of the shock.
Anything else you guys can think of that would be better?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 pm

73 front bumper sink in - how far in? 20170611

73 front bumper sink in - how far in? 20170610

Bumper shock is 7 inches long from front to back mounting points.
Bumper filler is 4 1/2
7 inches from front edge of bumper to bottom of headlight.
This is on the 73 SS.
In the pic, the "7" is right on top of the spot where the frame meets the shock.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:47 pm

By that Measurement I would say can only go 3 - 3 1/4" sink

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:04 pm

The "neck" of the shock is short. But it's hard to tell by just looking at it how far it could compress.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks Roadcaptain S3!

In the first picture on the bumper filler, can you take the same measurement in the middle of the grill.

After can you look arround the bumper and imagine sink it 3 inch if it's look safe for the fenders?

It's only because i don't have a 73 and wbaker01, his car have no front end at this time... I will totally delete the original mount.

Thanks again for your help!

Sebastien
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:53 am

Hey guys , I know this is on a Monte.  I used a chop saw and removed the extended portion of the inner tube in the "shock absorber".
That was 2 1/4" inches of material. Then welded the two remaining " bodies" together. The two pieces when married created the perfect "V" channel to lay weld in.

73 front bumper sink in - how far in? Scanne10
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:19 am

To the guys that have done this on a 73... Did you pull out the bumper fillers? Did you leave them in and was there some how clearance for them to tuck into the bumper on the sides and the did the center piece tuck into the open area behind the grill? or did you do some trimming?
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:21 am

Mine is a '74 but I pulled in both the front and rear 1".

K

73 front bumper sink in - how far in? Sucs_1046_12_o%2bkeith_seymores_1974_chevy_chevelle%2bheadlight
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:00 pm

tropdeprojet wrote:Thanks Roadcaptain S3!

In the first picture on the bumper filler, can you take the same measurement in the middle of the grill.

After can you look arround the bumper and imagine sink it 3 inch if it's look safe for the fenders?

It's only because i don't have a 73 and wbaker01, his car have no front end at this time... I will totally delete the original mount.

Sebastien

Yes. Will do it this evening if I get home early enough.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:03 pm

tropdeprojet wrote:Thanks Roadcaptain S3!

Sebastien

I still have the mounts you made for me, just haven't installed them yet. Embarassed
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 am

I don't really know at this time how much long i will make it but i have now the parts to do it.

I made some for a laguna nose swap!

73 front bumper sink in - how far in? 20170812
73 front bumper sink in - how far in? 20170813
73 front bumper sink in - how far in? 20170814
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down