G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up?

+4
dynchel
driveit
chevellelaguna
Oldschool454
8 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up? Empty 75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up?

Post by Dinomyte Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:13 pm

I was looking at a 75 Laguna nose I found for sale. I wanted to know if this will bolt right up to my 77 Malibu Classic?

Will the body lines line up without having to do much more than drill holes?

thanks
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up? Empty Re: 75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up?

Post by driveit Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Should bolt up but you may have to have the brackets behind that go to the radiator support if I remember correctly.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up? Empty Re: 75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up?

Post by Dinomyte Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:18 pm

driveit wrote:Should bolt up but you may have to have the brackets behind that go to the radiator support if I remember correctly.

Are the brackets only on the Laguna nose? or do they exist on the regular quad headlight nose too?
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:46 pm

They are there on both, but I believe that they are different. You could probably make something on your own if you don't have them.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:49 pm

I have not done the swap, but others on here have. They could tell you more. I just thought I would chime in.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Go get that bad boy and bolt it up! The bracket Driveit is referring to replaces the stock one and helps support the middle of the nose. Not necessary to do the swap...just helps to support the top of the nose to the radiator support.

75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up? Laguna10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Go get that bad boy and bolt it up!  The bracket Driveit is referring to replaces the stock one and helps support the middle of the nose.  Not necessary to do the swap...just helps to support the top of the nose to the radiator support.

75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up? Laguna10

Got it. I'm feeling lucky, maybe it will be on the nose . . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:41 pm

YES. What Mcarlo77 said. I converted mine. Was a 77 malibu classic originally. Should bolt right up.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Good to know. I didn't know for sure. I just wanted him to be aware that they might be different. I have never saw one in person. Wish I had a 73 nose myself.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks guys I got it.  Check for the centre brace, and other than that it's a matter of condition.

Here's a the picture from the ad, sorry it isn't a very good picture
75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up? 75lagu10
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:41 pm

The biggest headache you'll have is making sure the side of the Laguna nose lines up to the fender edge. Those things never lined up properly from
Day one. Suggest opening up the holes on the front fender edge, be able to shove the urethane nose outward or inward to match up to the fender.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Looks nice. Can't wait to see the progress pics of the install.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Well install won't be happening for a while, got to finish with my wheels and a couple of other projects first.

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:51 pm

Good luck and have fun.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Picked up the nose last week, it's in respectable shape.  Didn't realize that all the chrome is chrome! not chromed plastic.  That makes cleaning them up real easy.  There is a number of places where one can see cracks and spiderweb like cracks but nothing that a little care couldn't fix.

75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up? <a href=75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up? Dsc02413" />

I was wondering how to distinguish between the different years, because this came with a taillight bezel from a '74 from the same car.  It doesn't matter as what I really wanted was a sloped nose, jut wondering.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:35 pm

A '73 would have round tail lights, '74 would be "oval" for lack of a better term.  A '75 would have rectangle lights (with the bowtie on the lens) and a '76 would have the long lights (like you have now) Razz if I was to guess, I'd say the car was a '74 that had the nose changed.

Last edited by dynchel on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comments)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the nose not the tail.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:15 pm

Congrats on getting the nose! Looks to be in pretty decent shape. That spider-webbing will only be paint deep and is a result of the urethane flexing and contracting. You'd have a much bigger project on your hands if there were deep cracks and gouges in the urethane itself.

Not sure what you're asking about the noses, but the '75 & '76 are identical.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:35 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Congrats on getting the nose!  Looks to be in pretty decent shape.  That spider-webbing will only be paint deep and is a result of the urethane flexing and contracting.  You'd have a much bigger project on your hands if there were deep cracks and gouges in the urethane itself.

Not sure what you're asking about the noses, but the '75 & '76 are identical.

Thanks.  That answer the question, as I know that '73 & '74 Laguna noses weren't slanted, and there is no '77 Laguna.

Last edited by Dinomyte on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:21 pm

The Laguna nose swap is it finish. I have some problem to do this swap. I had a 73 Laguna nose and my car is a 75 Camino.

The nose dont really fit.
75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up? Wp_20110
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 pm

Where did you have a problem?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 pm

tropdeprojet wrote:The Laguna nose swap is it finish. I have some problem to do this swap. I had a 73 Laguna nose and my car is a 75 Camino.

The nose dont really fit.
75 Laguna nose on 77 malibu classic - will it just bolt up? Wp_20110

Looks like you didn't push in the bottom of fender in as you were mounting it, Had to push in the lower fender to align the holes for the nose to fit properly
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:07 am

All the hole was aligned. The nose have a 1/4 inch short both sides. I removed the steel bracket with the locator pin to push it inside. I can't fit the outside, the fender or the inner lip of the nose are to large. I try the original 75 front and fit ok.
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:48 am

Sorry to say I've been working on the interior, the nose won't be happening this summer, too many other projects. Front door & porch. (non-G3 projects)
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:22 am

tropdeprojet wrote:All the hole was aligned. The nose have a 1/4 inch short both sides. I removed the steel bracket with the locator pin to push it inside. I can't fit the outside, the fender or the inner lip of the nose are to large. I try the original 75 front and fit ok.

I am not understanding how you can remove the brackets from the nose if you can there is something very wrong for the Laguna nose has the brackets embedded into the urethane and should not be removable.

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next