G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A/C Panel light

+2
pila
74MonteCarlo
6 posters

Go down

A/C Panel light Empty A/C Panel light

Post by Shaunaconda Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:19 pm

All the lights in my interior work except for the a/c heater contol. I'm guessing it's a burned out bulb. Where is it located and how difficult is it to replace?
Shaunaconda
Shaunaconda
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

A/C Panel light Empty Re: A/C Panel light

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Its located in the unit. Pop off the plastic dash bezel. There are about 100 screws. Okay, not really, but there are a lot. Pop that off, and from there it should be self explanatory.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:44 pm

A plastic socket behind the controls. Should be able to reach it from under neath past the radio.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:09 am

The bezel isn't all that hard to remove, but the gauge pod has a plug & receptacle plus the speedo cable, which is a pain to work with. I believe there are only 99 screws in it...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 am

I've removed dozens of these dash bezels and it's no big deal (don't forget to remove the radio knobs). Once that's off, just remove the three retaining screws for the Temp Control and pull it forward enough to replace the bulb. I really don't think it's possible to reach up under the dash with the radio in place as it fills that entire cavity below the Temp Control.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaunaconda Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks guys, I'm gonna be replacing the radio with a retrosound unit, so maybe I can get to it with the radio out.
Shaunaconda
Shaunaconda
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:28 pm

You can get to it with the radio out, but it's just easier to take the 3 screws that hold the head in place.

Word of note on the Retrosound units, if you are expecting great sound out of the head unit by itself, don't. We installed one in a 71 Chevelle convertible, and it barely has any more power than my stockish 81 Delco AM/FM/Cassette and doesn't sound as good. They really need an amp behind them to sound any better than the factory units.

My 77 with cheap speakers all around (4x6s in the front center mount and 6x9s in the rear) can get decently loud with the windows up at speed, and with all 4 windows down, can still be heard quite well even though I don't have a stereo package shelf, so the rears are muffled. In my friends 'vert you can't hear a thing with the top down or with the windows down and it has 4 speakers, 4x6s in the outboard stereo locations, and some 6x8s mounted on plywood behind the back seat.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaunaconda Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm not that big on a sound system. I just want something with fm and an aux input.
Shaunaconda
Shaunaconda
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaunaconda Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:33 pm

btw is the sylvania 168 bulb the correct one?
Shaunaconda
Shaunaconda
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 pm

The bulb for the controls looks like a hot air balloon.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down