G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake Light

5 posters

Go down

Brake Light Empty Brake Light

Post by crice63 Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:23 am

This could be electrical or brakes, don't know. Coming back from Houston Sunday I turned on my headlights and the dash Brake light came on. Yikes! I stopped immediately and checked for leaks all around, master cylinder was good with fluid, brake pedal firm as usual. I drove a bit and stopped again, very nervous. Still no brake problems. I fiddled with the e-brake pedal to make sure it wasn't contacting accidentally, everything looked fine. After driving a bit more I stopped for gas and let the whole car cool down a bit. When I started back up there was no warning light, but it came on after 5 minutes and didn't go off the rest of the trip. Front rims weren't hot, so I don't think it was dragging. I haven't driven it since, it's just too nerve-wracking to drive with that light on.

So I'm thinking it might be electrical and wondering where I should look first. Last time I messed with the brakes it gave me a lot of trouble but finally got it all worked out. I guess there is a brake system diagnosis protocol that I could follow?

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Brake Light Empty Re: Brake Light

Post by Hs1973 Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Or it could be just the wire that goes to the distribution Block that has caught on something and gets Ground trough body. The wire only needs a Ground to make the light go on. Its a brown wire that runs Down to the distributionblock on the frame, its located right Down under the brakebooster on the side of the frame. Tjek that wire first. It could also be your distribution Block itself. But its supposed to be working the Way that if you loose brakepedal pressure the light comes on, if your brakes feel normal its more likely not the brakes that are causing problems. There is also a wire on your parkingbrake assembly, it sits on a switch that also could cause trouble. Try and unhook it when the light is on. If it goes out you have narroved it Down. Same thing applies to the distriblock wire. Take it of while the light is on, if it goes out then you know where to look. Hope you find it
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm

To close this out, it was a poor ground under the dash. Not sure how it worked, but I was just cleaning random grounds with hope and it was cured.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Bad grounds help sell a lot of unneeded parts ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:32 pm

I had an issue that when I applied brakes my dash lights came on, the right turn signal didn't blink and the side marker lights didn't turn on. It stumped me for a while and the issue turned out to be a 1156 bulb installed in one of the rear lights. Replaced with the correct 1157 and all is well. Didn't think the wrong light bulb would have that much effect on other stuff but it did.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:49 pm

The single contact bulb was likely back feeding from one of the two terminals in the socket, to other parts of the circuits, sorta like a jumper ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:56 pm

The 1157 has two separate filaments (and thus two positive contacts at the bottom) whereas the 1156 only has one. One filament/circuit was for the tail lamp and the other was for the brake/directional. If there's anything else on the same second circuit, it will fail because the 1156 simply doesn't have it, and the voltage does not go anywhere.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down