G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paint oxidation

5 posters

Go down

Paint oxidation Empty Paint oxidation

Post by Shaunaconda Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 am

What would be the best way to restore the factory paint if anyone here has done this? Should I go to a professional detailer to do a polish, or can I do it myself using products from a place like Autogeek?
Shaunaconda
Shaunaconda
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Paint oxidation Empty Re: Paint oxidation

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:54 pm

I once did my '64 Galaxie using Rubbing Compound and an electric drill with a felt pad. I also used a spray bottle of water to help lubricate and cool things while polishing. It was kind of a messy job and took many, many hours to do the entire car. Even repeated waxing after I was done did little to preserve the shine more than a couple years. Paint was just too far gone, I guess.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:23 pm

No no, do not use a drill! It spins way too fast for doing paint. You can do it yourself, but if you have little/no experience, you might be happier with the results from a professional detailer. If the paint isnt too thin, you can buff/polish it back out. Porter Cables are AWESOME tools for shining your paint, and with a mixed combination of pads/compounds/polish/glazes/waxes/sealants, you can fix paint if you have the patience for it. I'd offer to help, but you're way over in TX! Do some google searching, I'm sure some other car forums will come up. Find one with some step by step instructions and maybe some photos, and see what you think.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 pm

No, I used a variable speed drill and was careful to keep the speed down. My orbital polisher just wasn't cutting it. This was many years ago and I'm sure there are better products out there for do-it-yourselfers. But make no mistake...if it's badly oxidized, you'll be investing a considerable amount of time to get it removed.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:40 am

Ok, good to hear! And maybe its a D/A that I'm thinking of that spins too fast, not a drill. Anyway, I agree, you can spend a lot of time fixing oxidized paint, and sometimes its a lot of work to keep it shiny too.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 am

at detail shop i used to work at we had dewalt polishers with adjustable rpms we ran between 1100 to 1400 rpm and a light touch any more rpm and the paint you will burn through the paint. i have brought back some real bad paint. even a firechiken with out hurting the decals
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:47 pm

There are some good tutorials on Youtube. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic