G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

paint

5 posters

Go down

paint Empty paint

Post by special4 Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Hey guys
Has anyone painted Por15 with flexcoat?
thanks

special4
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

paint Empty Re: paint

Post by driveit Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:59 am

Sorry not me. I bought some por15 once and gave it away as I had no time to use it. Wish I still had it though.
Call them or google it. I'm sure that there are some that have tried it.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:08 am

Everything I have read is that if you don't prep the surface correct the Por15 will not last. I bought some ZeroRust but I haven't used it yet. 77Mali has used por15 on his car if you look through his project thread.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:26 am

I like Por15 a lot.  Only product I've ever used that actually works on rust.  The prep stuff they sell is a must- the cleaner and the metal conditioner- on body panels.  I've found that on the frame you can go right over rust as long as it's clean, dry & sound.  

Flex coat is on my short list of paint to try out as well as their "Hard-nose" which is a two component that is a hi-gloss top coat. Haven't used either yet but I want to try both to see the finished look.  I bought some of their Tie-coat primer which is a high build "safe for over Por-15" self etch for in between the Por15 base & whatever finish I decide to use. This won't be for a while though.

If you use the Tiecoat over the Por15, you can pretty much use whatever finish coat you want.  SEM makes good paint as well as Duplicolor that are fairly inexpensive compared to the big guy's such as PPG, etc.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:34 am

I'll say this though- Por15 is harder to work with than regular paints. It's very sensitive to moisture & humidity. The more RH in the air, the faster it will set up. I have taken to buying the smaller containers as there is less waste. It's a pain in the Arse resealing a big can only to find the next time you need to use it there is a 1/4" cured membrane on top of usable product. Also it sticks to EVERYTHING and won't come off once it's cured. I use surgical gloves every time now. It won't come off skin for like 4 or 5 days.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:14 pm

You have to be careful, some of the duplicolor paints are old school lacquer and not compatible with newer more common urethene products.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down