G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me how bad it is...vinyl top

+10
badbiscayne66
Remy-Z
BlackChevelleSS
JB2wheeler
yogreasygramma
McCauley5983
IndyG3
hotrodredneck
Hydro King
74MonteCarlo
14 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tell me how bad it is...vinyl top - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me how bad it is...vinyl top

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Now when you say "fiberglass", are you grinding or blasting off all the old rust and then putting a layer of fiberglass overtop of the bare metal, or replacing the metal completely and using a fiberglass base?
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Tell me how bad it is...vinyl top - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me how bad it is...vinyl top

Post by The Dude Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Alright, I couldn't find any finished pics, but I have one when I was about halfway through. I grinded away the rust until I got to good metal. On the spot near the gas filler, I ended up cutting a lot of the pillar out. I layed a fiberglass sheet to the back & front side of the good metal, making a sandwich. This allowed a thicker fiberglass sheet when it dried so I could sand it straighter & use less bondo. The hardest part for me was trying to replicate the spot for the molding. I ended up making the rear window flush. It's hard to tell in the pics, but look close by the gas filler. I could sit inside the car & almost fit my hand through the hole, then I cut it Shocked

Tell me how bad it is...vinyl top - Page 2 Celica10

Tell me how bad it is...vinyl top - Page 2 Celica11

Tell me how bad it is...vinyl top - Page 2 Celica12
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2