G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laguna Louvers on Vinyl top car - has anyone done this?

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Laguna Louvers on Vinyl top car - has anyone done this? Empty Laguna Louvers on Vinyl top car - has anyone done this?

Post by Dinomyte Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:39 am

I've got a set of Laguna louvers that I was all excited to put on my car (which has a vinyl top) unfortunately the louvers come down far enough below the bottom of the window that the trim from the edge of the top is in the way. Just wondering what anybody might have done to make this work. I really don't want to cut the bottom of the louvers.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Laguna Louvers on Vinyl top car - has anyone done this? Empty Re: Laguna Louvers on Vinyl top car - has anyone done this?

Post by Limey SE Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:54 am

the chrome trim would have to come off and it would still be a very tight fit, Might have to take the tabs off bottom and use 3m bond tape to keep it secured
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Laguna Louvers on Vinyl top car - has anyone done this? Empty Re: Laguna Louvers on Vinyl top car - has anyone done this?

Post by Dinomyte Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:46 am

Limey - I got all that, I read all the threads I could find. My concern is the trim that is between the vinyl and the paint, long strip that goes down the sides of the car around the back between the rear window and the trunk lid. I'll snap a picture when I get home.

I was planing to trim the vinyl back so that there was only one layer on the outside as it's rolled over the edge of the window and tucked between the sheet metal of the car and the window glass, that way install the louvers as they were supposed to, and use the louver to hold the edge of the vinyl, along with some sort of adhesive.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:16 pm

I will get the diagram for the install for you .........On where to drill the holes
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Dino...what would it look like if you notched the front and rear edges of the louvers to allow it to fit over the trim? The bottom edge of my louvers don't rest flush against the qtr panel, anyway...probably 1/8"-3/16" gap. Really don't think you want to remove the trim as you'll end up with little fastener studs sticking up.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:03 pm

Never mind...I just looked at my spares and that won't work. I have a piece of that trim like yours and tried fitting it under the gap at the bottom of my louvers...it's just a little too tight. Maybe cut the molding (trim) on either side of the louvers? Would have to figure a way to secure each cut end, though. Maybe a small sheet metal screw in place of the studs to hold the fastener that the trim snaps down on?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:25 pm

Here is what the side of the car looks like

Laguna Louvers on Vinyl top car - has anyone done this? 20150610

Here is what the back of the louver looks like

Laguna Louvers on Vinyl top car - has anyone done this? 20150611

It's kind of hard to tell but the louver needs 7/8" to fit and there is less than 3/4" from the edge of the vinyl to the trim on the vinyl roof, and this will be less once the vinyl wrapped over the edge of the window sill is removed.  I was wondering what if anything anyone had done here to make things look good.

I was thinking of cutting the trim down to make the louver fit into it as the louvers will be similar in colour to the vinyl but was looking for other ideas . . .

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down