G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting Issue

4 posters

Go down

Starting Issue Empty Starting Issue

Post by dwgardner Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:51 pm

I am in the process of restoring a 1975 Laguna. A little background first, the car had been sitting up for about a year or two. I went through the process of getting it running so I could move it and start on the body work. After several times starting the car, I went back and tried to start it and it did nothing. The car was in park (floor console automatic) and then I put it in neutral and nothing. After playing around with the shifter, I placed it in neutral and pushed it toward reverse and the car started. Does this mean there is a problem with the linkage at the transmission or could it be a wiring/neutral safety switch issue. Any help with this issue would be greatly issued.
Thanks,
Danny

dwgardner
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Starting Issue Empty Re: Starting Issue

Post by thatfnthing Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:12 pm

It usually means the linkage is slightly out of adjustment -- I had it happen in the past. While the switch itself can fail, it probably wouldn't have worked when you "fine tuned" it if it was bad. I'd get under there and readjust it at the transmission lever.

Mark

thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dwgardner Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:20 am

Thanks, for the information. I will take some time this week and check it out and let you know the results.
Danny

dwgardner
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by chromereverse Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:47 pm

This is going to sound silly but in 1975 they put a seat sensor in the drivers side so if you where not sitting in the seat it would not start I had this problem in my 75 malibu but every once in awhile it would start. If you have this there is a way to start the car if you open the hood look at the firewall find the relay on the drivers side if it has a small rubber button turn your key to the on position press the button on the relay then start any time you turn the ignition off you will have to repeat the process. Hope this helps
chromereverse
chromereverse
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:32 pm

chromereverse wrote:This is going to sound silly but in 1975 they put a seat sensor in the drivers side so if you where not sitting in the seat it would not start I had this problem in my 75 malibu but every once in awhile it would start. If you have this there is a way to start the car if you open the hood look at the firewall find the relay on the drivers side if it has a small rubber button turn your key to the on position press the button on the relay then start any time you turn the ignition off you will have to repeat the process. Hope this helps

i think that button was 74s only. well in a monte anyways. scratch
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down