G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vinyl top rear window molding on hard top car?

+2
Mcarlo77
ant7377
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Vinyl top rear window molding on hard top car? Empty Vinyl top rear window molding on hard top car?

Post by Fishgrinder Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:52 pm

I was just wondering if the rear window molding from a 1975 Monte Carlo with vinyl top will fit on a hard top. Reason asking is that I had the vinyl top removed on mine, and I've started sanding down the grain pattering in the painted molding. Would be nice if I could re use it.

Vinyl top rear window molding on hard top car? DSCF3433-1

Vinyl top rear window molding on hard top car? DSCF3434-1

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Vinyl top rear window molding on hard top car? Empty Re: Vinyl top rear window molding on hard top car?

Post by ant7377 Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:41 pm

I think it will fit .Try polishing the moulding on a bench polisher to get more shine out of them.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Vinyl top rear window molding on hard top car? Empty Re: Vinyl top rear window molding on hard top car?

Post by Fishgrinder Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks ant.

So far I've done the sanding by hand, and the molding just eats the paper. Getting the grain pattern down to a smooth surface takes ridiculously long time. I'll try a machine sander when I get back to it in march/april, just have to be careful not to sand through. I'll work stepwise up to 1500 or 2000 grit, then polish it, and maybe a coat of clear paint in the end. I think it will look pretty chrome'ish by then

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm not 100% sure they are interchangeable...never had the need to compare. But, in my opinion, it sure seems like an awful lot of time and expense trying to modify those you have and still end up not having something that has the correct stainless finish. Just hate to see them detract from that beautiful paint job with something marginal in appearance...is all.

Seems like finding Montes without vinyl/Landau top is as difficult as finding cars with swivel buckets. I know of at least one Monte with the chrome moldings that I could check for you if interested. Can't be that expensive and the pcs come apart to make shipping a package feasible...I would think. Let me know if I can help. Yards are closed for this coming week, but will probably be making a trip after that...weather permitting.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Fish...where ya been hiding?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:23 pm

yes they will fit. but a non-vinyl top car had chrome moldings.

sure seems like alot of work.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:27 pm

What about from a 77 Cutlass NON Vinyl car will they fit the Monte I have them still from the cutlass I had sold

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks again for the information.

I have a thing about restoring stuff, but you are probably right about not getting the "correct" finish.

I'll get back to you on PM during the next days Mcarlo77.

77Mali: Fish has been drinking beer in Munich, training his clean and jerk, and playing his mandolin since the car was parked for the winter. I'm still surfing the forum daily though. More Monte-updates in 3-4 months time I reckon Wink

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Fishgrinder wrote:

77Mali: Fish has been drinking beer in Munich, training his clean and jerk, and playing his mandolin since the car was parked for the winter. I'm still surfing the forum daily though. More Monte-updates in 3-4 months time I reckon Wink

Munich? October fest was a while ago.....LOL. I'm going to keep my Vinyl-top grained exterior A pillar trim :-) to pay homage to the originality of the car...for malibu's the back glass trim is stainless...I like the look of the grain.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down