G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vinyl top trim/molding on Grand Prix

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Vinyl top trim/molding on Grand Prix Empty Vinyl top trim/molding on Grand Prix

Post by Tquillen Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 am

Gentlemen:

My car currently has a half vinyl top, which I will be replacing. I'm interested in going to a full top, but the vinyl top moldings are of course different. Does anyone have any close up pictures of a 73-77 Grand Prix with a full vinyl top, or know what the differences are between the moldings? Are the GP moldings shared with one of the other G3 body styles? When going from a half top to a full top, is there anything else or any other differences that I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

TQ

Tquillen
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Vinyl top trim/molding on Grand Prix Empty Re: Vinyl top trim/molding on Grand Prix

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 pm

The difference is that the full vinyl top moldings that run along the top of the qtr panels will extend all the way to the door glass channels on the full vinyl top cars. You may be able to reuse the one that runs across the back...between the rear glass and trunk lid. Those side pcs will be unique to the GP.

Let me know if you need help. There are probably a dozen GP's at the one yard I visit. Don't recall if any are full vinyl tops...but, would be happy to check next time out.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Vinyl top trim/molding on Grand Prix Empty Re: Vinyl top trim/molding on Grand Prix

Post by Tquillen Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Thank you very much, I would REALLY appreciate your looking for me. There's not many older cars left in our yards. If there is something available, snag it and let me know what I owe you for your time!!

Tquillen
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scootinz Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:43 am

Ugh, I second that. I messed up bigtime. Just painted a 75 and realized the top was aftermarket. The trim is not factory and now the holes in the metal are still there thinking I was going to toss a new top on. I have the aftermarket trim, but I don't think it is the same as the original and it is soft aluminium, so I don't know if I can salvage it. I THINK I can fill the holes and still cover them with the top depending on the stock trim. IF anyone had ANY originals they happen to spot in a bone yard I would be REALLY grateful. I WILL but them as long as they are restoreable!
As Tquillen posted good pics of original trim would great!

Thanks!

scootinz
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down