G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frame fitment?

4 posters

Go down

Frame fitment? Empty Frame fitment?

Post by Malicruiser Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Does the El Camino frame fit the Chevelle body's? I heard that the 2nd chevelles could use a el camino frame if you shortened the frame rails a little after the rearend. I also heard that el camino frames were boxed too chevelle frames weren't, but I could swear my frame looks boxed already.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Frame fitment? Empty Re: Frame fitment?

Post by Malicruiser Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm asking because I have a neighbor with a couple of "trashed" 75 elco's. There's nothing left of the interiors, and the bodies don't have a straight panel left if there's even a panel at all. But he's offered to sell me one for $50 because he need to clear his property. If the frame can swap over with only that one bit of shortening, then I figure I could build the chassis separate from the car and swap it in when I have it finished.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:43 pm

the el camino is a boxed type frame, I really dont think it would be worth the hassle of messing with plus it is narrower.

Hense why the chevelle and elky cannot share the same dual hump crossmember

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:26 pm

Limey wrote:....it is narrower.

Hense why the chevelle and elky cannot share the same dual hump crossmember....
OOOOOHHHHHHH. So my my best be sit to find a Chevelle frame. The only reason why I didn't want to do that from the start is that every one here seems to have a subscription to PHR, and want WAY to much money for a chevelle even though they are practically throwing away el caminos. How much narrower are they, I already planned on using my chevelle to hone my metal fabrication skills and widening the frame might teach me a lot.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:28 pm

I think at least 2" for the dual cross for ours is 51 almost 52 and the elky I beleive are right around 49"

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:40 pm

May I interject some info here? The width of the chevelle and Elky frames is the same. The wheelbase of the Elky is longer, therefore the extra length is in the middle. The reason the trans crossmembers is differant is the Elky member bolts on one place on the frame and the Chevelle bolts in another place on the frame. The Elky frame is boxed, therefore stronger, but you have to be careful and not get salt or water trapped inside the frame. The convertible also has a boxed frame, but I believe it is the 112 inch wheelbase of the coupe. Yeh, I do not know of any 73/77 convertibles, but it applies to older models. The station wagon, I think, has the same frame as the Elky, but am not sure. its bed time and I am too tired to think straight or get out my book that tells all except who shot J. R. JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks JB I was under the impression they totally were different as far as width and length if they are the same width you would just have to shorten the rear section of the frame then it sounds like...... I will always admit if I am wrong and thank the one who helped me !!

So maybe take one then Mali but but would suck if body bolts or nothing line up AFTER you are done, I would take the frame measure TWICE on both frames to make sure it would work. Then proceed from there, if nothing you helped your friend get rid of a frame that he was gonna junk anyway's

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:50 pm

the el camino frame is 2 inches longer. because i was going to swap my engine and trans and driveshaft to the malibu, but found out the drive shaft would need to be shortened 2 inches its not worth it lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:52 pm

yea we knew it was longer where the debate is / was the width of the actual frame I am just afraid that all the body mount areas will be different

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:03 pm

yeah the frame is wierd looking under neath the bed floor take a look, bout broke my back taking out that old bed floor with a crowbar LOL
Frame fitment? L_5fcc10
Frame fitment? L_9e9c10
Frame fitment? L_5c0910
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:19 pm

The Elky has a 116 inch wheelbase and the coupe has 112 inch wheelbase. thats a 4 inch differance between the distance of the front to back wheels. I do NOT know if the body mounts match up, especially in the rear. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:24 pm

ok so it was for i wasnt sure if it was 4 or 2 but i knew it wasnt worth cutting it.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:26 pm

That long wheelbase sure twists a lot when one corner is jacked up. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Let me ask you a question. Can you completely remove that very bottom layer of steel and leave it off? The part that covers the bottom of the Elky from the cab back. Does it serve any purpose other than to just be a dust cover? Is it structural? JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:24 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:Let me ask you a question. Can you completely remove that very bottom layer of steel and leave it off? The part that covers the bottom of the Elky from the cab back. Does it serve any purpose other than to just be a dust cover? Is it structural? JB

cant really picture what your trying to say
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:19 am

I am talking about the floor pan. I was thinking about removing the floor pan from the "smuggler's box" rearward, but dont know what I would be getting into there. That would include the inner wheelhouse of the back wheels. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 am

i mean i guess you could as long as you dont remove any of the pieces that hold up the bed floor pans. my little "smuggler's box" is all rusted out anyways so i dont really worry about it i just keep my jack in there.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down