G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus

+9
Limey SE
Wallyuph
driveit
77mali
thatfnthing
dynchel
Tom77
pila
1973montec
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus Empty 1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus

Post by switchbiker Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:10 pm

I guess it's about time I started a project thread here since good weather is right around the corner, the garage won't be frozen anymore and I should be able to get regular updates up here from now on.

I also have a blog that will be a collection of more in-depth stories and technical details than here which will be mostly pictures and interaction about the car. See the blog here: http://lagunatour73.blogspot.com/

This is my 1973 Chevelle Laguna, I'm going ot call it Project "Brutus" for no particular reason other than the name just seems to fit my car.
Side view of the car sitting at the local gas station.
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus IMG_20140122_190249_734
The current Gen1 355 CID engine, this is the engine that will stay in the car until the rest of the car is basically finished. Haven't dynoed it but I suspect its puts out somewhere in the 350-375 HP range, maybe 305-330 at the wheels.
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus DSC02407
March Performance Serpentine belt system
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus DSC02408
Quick Fuel Technology 650 CFM w/ mechanical secondaries, not a good carb for this application but it'll have to work for now.
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus DSC02409
in the garage, GoPro pictures.
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus GOPR0002+copy
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus GOPR0001
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus GOPR0004
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus GOPR0005

-Josh
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus Empty Re: 1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus

Post by 1973montec Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 pm

nice Thumbs up 

at first i thought there was an outline of a body under your guna.

lol
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks 1973montec. Haha, the tape on the floor is the track outline from the mini RC races me and my buds would have when we were out in the garage drinking, we had a bunch of those Radio Shack mini RC cars. Childish, yes, but damn fun lol.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:51 am

Very nice! Are those front tires as close to the fenders as they look?????? Looks as if they would rub when turning.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:51 am

switchbiker wrote:Thanks 1973montec. Haha, the tape on the floor is the track outline from the mini RC races me and my buds would have when we were out in the garage drinking, we had a bunch of those Radio Shack mini RC cars. Childish, yes, but damn fun lol.

Sometimes you gotta play, otherwise what's the point of life? I still miss my slot cars and keep telling myself someday I'm gonna set up a track again. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:55 am

Awesome ride. Can't wait to see more. Do you know what the drop is for the front and rear?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:08 am

Very Nice !! The early Laguna front end is the one I like best  Very Happy  Nice job on the engine set-up.

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:25 pm

thatfnthing wrote:
switchbiker wrote:Thanks 1973montec. Haha, the tape on the floor is the track outline from the mini RC races me and my buds would have when we were out in the garage drinking, we had a bunch of those Radio Shack mini RC cars. Childish, yes, but damn fun lol.

Sometimes you gotta play, otherwise what's the point of life?  I still miss my slot cars and keep telling myself someday I'm gonna set up a track again. Smile

WOW you still have the track! I have all the cars lining a shelve in the garage but no track.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:47 pm

Ghost Rider wrote:
thatfnthing wrote:

Sometimes you gotta play, otherwise what's the point of life?  I still miss my slot cars and keep telling myself someday I'm gonna set up a track again. Smile

WOW you still have the track! I have all the cars lining a shelve in the garage but no track.

Oh, yeah, and it's the old style with the metal pins and plastic joining clips. None of that later snap-together nonsense! Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:06 pm

thatfnthing wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
thatfnthing wrote:

Oh, yeah, and it's the old style with the metal pins and plastic joining clips.  None of that later snap-together nonsense! Smile

Same one I had. Cant remember what happend to the track.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:51 am

Ghost Rider wrote:Very nice! Are those front tires as close to the fenders as they look?????? Looks as if they would rub when turning.
They do rub and aren't a good fit. Once I get the new suspension and brakes installed and take some accurate measurements I will buy some wheels/tires that fit properly without the rub.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:07 pm

driveit wrote:Awesome ride.  Can't wait to see more.  Do you know what the drop is for the front and rear?
front is about 2.5" rear is about 2". I'd love to get it 3.5" front and rear but I'm afraid I'd get hung up on too many things just driving around, plus it would be fairly complicated moving suspension points to keep the geometry correct, camber gain on the front A arms would be too high without moving the mounting points higher on the frame, more work than I want to do and likely wouldnt like dragging frame on every speedbump.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Update:
Today I had some time, so I began measuring for tire fitment in the rear. I'm not doing the front until I get my tubular control arms and brakes installed because the track width is going to change slightly.

Not wanting to spend money or wait for delivery on a tire fitment tool like this :  
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus 760-01201
Jegs.com/percy's tire fitment tool

I took specifications off the tires I was looking at and made these cutouts from cardboard and glued them all together leaving the tire profile to slide in and out:
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus Wheel-template-rear

I can get a good fitment with a 18X10 1/2" wheel with a 5 1/2" backspace. The tire still has 1/2" clearance at the closest point on the frame which I feel will be enough. Because of the inside shape of the rear outer wheel wells, I wouldnt want to run any more than 5" outset due to tire interference. A 5" outset gives me about 3/8" clearence at full suspension compression with this tire height. If I lower the car more and change the amount the wheel can tuck the outer wheel wells will need to be bulged to clear the tire.

This template is for a 295-35-18 tires, as I'm sure you all know there are people who have installed up to 315-30-18 tires. After doing these measurements I believe that size would have interference issues on my car since it will be lower. I like the little extra sidewall on the 35 series tire also.

I'll have some steel wheels made in these sizes until I get the rest of the modifications done. I am still considering moving the rear frame section in by 2" per side so I can fit wider rear tires, 345-30-18 for race days, I'll still run the 295's on the street because they are affordable from several different manufacturers.

I love this Budnik wheel and it can be made in custom sizing:
Remington Titanium coated (but will probably be the last thing added to the car Crying or Very sad )
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus RemingtonTitaniumCoated
http://www.budnikwheels.com/

I'll be running this Continental tire:
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus Co_extrm_contct_ci2_l
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/continental

I also ordered my front suspension today from Detroit Speed:
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus 031331-001-lg
http://www.detroitspeed.com/1973-1977-A-Body
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:56 am

That's gonna be slick when done... Thumbs up 
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Take lots of pics!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:31 pm

dynchel wrote:That's gonna be slick when done... Thumbs up 
I just hope I can keep doing overtime and stay single this year to keep the progress up!

-Josh
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:52 pm

I'm pretty nooby when it comes to making over a car in photoshop, but here's mine in progress. Cut'n pasted wheels lol, I will have a complete render in a few days and a few variations. The wheel size is correct for 19" and so is the tire height of 26", I streched out the picture on a fullsize canvas with the wheel centers at 110" so I could get accurate measurements, it also allows for much finer detail work. The PSD file is 14,444 pixels wide.
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus Laguna2
it was made on top of the crappy picture below:
1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus 0940dbb6-b813-4149-96fe-c4153e19f491
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:56 am

Hey you can NOT go wrong with Lime Green paint LOVE IT  afro :<P  afro 
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Nice. I like it. That graphic across the bottom sets it off. Let me know if you want a rendering of it like that. I am a little backed up right now, but I would love to do it.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:43 pm

I like how it brings focus to the center of the car and causes the car to seem shorter than it is. A CF hood would look awesome with this color combo I think. By rendering, do you mean a 3D model rendering? I would love to have a blend file for a G3 to play with.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:11 am

1973 Laguna, Project: Brutus IMG_20140304_171010_986
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 pm

I just really like the look of your car. I am really considering find a 73 Laguna front end for mine.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:42 pm

driveit wrote:I just really like the look of your car.  I am really considering find a 73 Laguna front end for mine.
thanks man, $700 you can have that US body glass nose, and a ton of work installing it. I can't wait until I can really start tearing into my car. I'm still waiting on parts shipments. Proper panel/door alignments will make this car look way better. Still not sure if I want to go with Kawasaki green though, looks cool in the photoshop pics but not really the color of car I can see myself driving around in.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:32 pm

I think I would rather find a cheap original and hope the it works. I have never even saw a Laguna of any year in person though so this could be difficult.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:01 pm

driveit wrote:I think I would rather find a cheap original and hope the it works.  I have never even saw a Laguna of any year in person though so this could be difficult.
Yeah, I was suprised when I ran across mine on Craigslist. It's the real thing too not a converted base model. I've wanted one for years but never saw any around much less, one for sale. I kinda feel like I found my Unicorn after all these years of keeping my feelers out for one. I might have paid a little too much up front @$5800 but I knew I wouldn't come across another that was running and driving for quite some time.
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next