G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS el camino question........but anyone can help

+4
Limey SE
74Malibu383
ant7377
74chick
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS         el camino question........but anyone can help Empty PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS el camino question........but anyone can help

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:35 pm

alright you know how the elkys come out of factory with the rear air shocks? for heavy loads

mine are worn out if i air them up and drive somewhere by the time im back they go all the way down. so there kind of pointless, i want to replace the shocks with regular ones (no air shocks) but i want the rear end to be raised up about 2 or 3 inches and i want it to stay like that. OH and most important thing i want the cheapest waY lol i dont really care about handling because im gonna sell it one day annyway
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS         el camino question........but anyone can help Empty Re: PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS el camino question........but anyone can help

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:37 pm

KYB Gad adjust shocks.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS         el camino question........but anyone can help Empty Re: PROGRESS PICS AND QUESTIONS el camino question........but anyone can help

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:37 pm

gas adjust**
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 pm

so far im convinced thats what i need after watching a video about them.
how much $ would you say they run?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Why not use these? They are cheap and will last a long time and lift your rear end any amount you want just by varying the air pressure. JB http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-60769/
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:30 pm

You really want cheap???? Use these....... $10.00 Problem solved.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-3-Inch-GM-Shock-Extensions,21690.html

****disclaimer: I wouldn't be caught dead with them, but they'll work.*****
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:32 pm

Lifting has been discussed a few times. Read these:

https://www.g3gm.com/part-interchangeability-f33/suspension-parts-t1856.htm

https://www.g3gm.com/general-discussion-f1/springs-t2366.htm?highlight=springs

Probably several other places on the site, but general consensus says Caprice springs or those JCW springs will lift your ride. I have the JCW springs & airbags that I plan on installing. If you REALLY want lift, get the 73-77 specific ones instead of the 68-72 like I have.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74chick Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 pm

coil overs$108 for both.

I have them on the front they work will.
74chick
74chick
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:32 pm

Yes by definition they are coil-overs. The difference between those and more expensive models is adjustability.

Personally, installing those is a waste of money. They don’t appear to be adjustable and therefore are no more effective than a factory coil and separate shock.

Plus, what is the spring rate on those? Any idea if it's correct?
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:31 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:You really want cheap???? Use these....... $10.00 Problem solved.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-3-Inch-GM-Shock-Extensions,21690.html

****disclaimer: I wouldn't be caught dead with them, but they'll work.*****

now this is what im talkin about
street cred given.........
now if only i can find some pictures of how they work
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:38 pm

You need pictures? They mount in between the top of the shock and the bottom of the mount. The long bolts go up through the holes in the extensions. Pretty much idiot proof...
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:42 pm

oh i am picturing them to be bigger. so the holes line up with the same holes for the top of the shocks? you think auto zone would carry these?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:43 pm

I've seen a similar version at the Zone before. If I remember correctly, theirs looked like an "H" where the ones in the link are more of a "U".
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:02 pm

alright ill see what i can find
but am i going to have to replace the air shocks still?
i can put the gas shocks off my malibu on there temporarily i guess
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:11 pm

I WOULD NOT REINSTALL AIR SHOCKS !!!!!

I would get the heavy duty coils made for elkys and the the true coil over shock's, this work you do will only add to the selling price of Truck

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:22 am

"True Coil-Over's" take the place of the factory coil spring. You wouldn't need both. However, this is a pricy option to get the good stuff.

Yes, you could use the shocks off your Malibu for the time being.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:31 am

Limey wrote:I WOULD NOT REINSTALL AIR SHOCKS !!!!!

I would get the heavy duty coils made for elkys and the the true coil over shock's, this work you do will only add to the selling price of Truck

true coil overs fro the front and the heavy duty springs for the rears is what I should have said wasnt thinking right LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:34 am

Limey - Takes a little time off and loses his mind.... Wait, did you ever have a good grasp on it in the first place? Smile
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:35 am

are you Kidding brother my mind right know is scrambled more than my eggs .............

you guys here are helping me stay on the straight and narrow

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:36 am

Hang in there.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:37 am

you still got them parts for me or you end up selling them ??

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:38 am

I've got some of them.... Check out my "garage sale" in the classified section. Should be up to date.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:43 am

i dont see the shocks springs ???

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:51 am

Sorry man. Billy Ray picked them up. You dropped off the face of the earth for a while there so he jumped on them.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Limey wrote:

I would get the heavy duty coils

i agree, i put the heavy duty coils on my el co...money well spent.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next