G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've been meaning to ask; what is this thing in the trunk?

5 posters

Go down

I've been meaning to ask; what is this thing in the trunk? Empty I've been meaning to ask; what is this thing in the trunk?

Post by zucchi Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:22 pm

Ever since I bought this car in 1984, I wondered what this thing was for:

I've been meaning to ask; what is this thing in the trunk? 20240310

Is it some sort of hatch to access the top of the gas tank?
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

I've been meaning to ask; what is this thing in the trunk? Empty Re: I've been meaning to ask; what is this thing in the trunk?

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:46 pm

Unfortunately my trunk mat is glued down over the pan. Is your rectangle in the center panel or the right side panel? Is the Monte Carlo trunk pan the same as is used in Malibus? I think I remember a small rectangle protrusion like that somewhere on the pan but don't remember the scoring on it as shown on your pic. I assumed it was there simply for clearance. There doesn't seem to be any lift point on the protrusion in your pic.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

I've been meaning to ask; what is this thing in the trunk? Empty Re: I've been meaning to ask; what is this thing in the trunk?

Post by ant7377 Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:39 pm

It's a plug. It pops out. You can wash out the trunk and it drains from there and the little round plugs down at the bottom of the trunk wells.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:53 pm

How interesting. i knew about the trunk well drains but not this. Do you have to bang it out from below or is it pried out? What's curious is that using a trunk mat which I have always done covers the center pans; so a rather contradictory situation.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:26 am

Just an FYI, there are also two more one in the rear passenger's, and rear driver's foot well, in my '77, which I believe to be the original floor pan.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bucket Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:38 am

I believe their original purpose is to drain the primer/sealer when the car body got it's dunk in the tank at the factory. The body plugs were installed later.

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:41 pm

Ever see the movie " Goodfellas" scene where Ray Liotta is washing out the trunk of his Grand Prix? That's a use for them.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Joe73, 1973GS and zucchi like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down