G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chip Foose Overhaulin' '77 El Camino

+6
74Malibu383
74MonteCarlo
Roadcaptain S3
bluemonte87
The Dude
1973 454 MONTE
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chip Foose Overhaulin' '77 El Camino - Page 2 Empty Re: Chip Foose Overhaulin' '77 El Camino

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:04 pm

BTW guys, if you havent already, you should start keeping up with popular hot rodding, they show the 73-77 A body a lot more love than hot rod or car craft, im actually thinking about switching my subscription from hot rod runs out in december.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Chip Foose Overhaulin' '77 El Camino - Page 2 Empty Re: Chip Foose Overhaulin' '77 El Camino

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Way ahead of ya-most of us alraedy have a love/hate Hunkins thing going on.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:37 pm

that elky is prob long gone by now. you do realize that was from the first season and only episode 4 of the show right ?? the show is no longer in production and only air it for time fill in's ??

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Limey wrote:that elky is prob long gone by now. you do realize that was from the first season and only episode 4 of the show right ?? the show is no longer in production and only air it for time fill in's ??

your probably right about that, but almost all the cars on the show are from the hunington, seal, and long beach areas, which are about twenty minutes away from me, its sad that these people would even consider selling these cars, especially that kid in the episode, like thats the best car he'll ever have.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:05 pm

"JB, thats a sweet looking 74 you got there...is that a trans am decal on the hood? ive seen something like that on 80's GMC Cabelleros and some el caminos, wondering if you were just a screaming chicken fan? or if that was some kind of special edition thing for the elcos. Either way, nice looking 74, I'll have to get some more pics of mine up." That bird was a common item available at J. C. Whitney back in the 1970s. It was a bear to put on! It no longer is available. It also is no longer on my car. I liked it much better that the Trans Am type bird, which is widely available now. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:21 pm

i see, yeah i always wondered what those were,ive seen a few different hood decals on elcos. im liking that ride you got though, i noticed you took off the SS ralleys, you planning on selling them? i got pontiac ralleys on mine right now, but their only 15x6, im looking for at least 15x7 or x8
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:58 pm

TWBouska wrote:BTW guys, if you havent already, you should start keeping up with popular hot rodding, they show the 73-77 A body a lot more love than hot rod or car craft, im actually thinking about switching my subscription from hot rod runs out in december.

Yeah Johnny Hunkins is/was a member on here... for a couple of posts. He used us for what he needed & never came back, but he does at least give G3GM props every now & then. The latest issue with the list of budget muscle has this site as one of the resources for these cars. Rolling Eyes I don't agree with how they portray our cars as "ugly" (repeatedly), but at least someone is giving us recognition.

Look here for the love/hate comments previously mentioned:

https://www.g3gm.com/g3-project-pictures-f10/phr-s-laguna-progress-t395.htm
https://www.g3gm.com/general-discussion-f1/video-of-project-talladega-puke-puke-t818.htm
https://www.g3gm.com/ride-of-the-week-f24/congrats-to-steve-yoder-t1127.htm

Here's all he had to contribute:
https://www.g3gm.com/search.forum?search_author=Johnny+Hunkins&show_results=posts
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:26 pm

TWBouska wrote:i see, yeah i always wondered what those were,ive seen a few different hood decals on elcos. im liking that ride you got though, i noticed you took off the SS ralleys, you planning on selling them? i got pontiac ralleys on mine right now, but their only 15x6, im looking for at least 15x7 or x8
I love those wheels, but they are only 14 inchers. Yes, I still got them and probably will the day I die. I have a whole bunch of stuff that my kids will give to the DAV, including several cars. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:37 pm

seats have to go!

Chip Foose Overhaulin' '77 El Camino - Page 2 DSC00224

for some reason i like the console
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:06 am

Rago wrote:
TWBouska wrote:BTW guys, if you havent already, you should start keeping up with popular hot rodding, they show the 73-77 A body a lot more love than hot rod or car craft, im actually thinking about switching my subscription from hot rod runs out in december.

Yeah Johnny Hunkins is/was a member on here... for a couple of posts. He used us for what he needed & never came back, but he does at least give G3GM props every now & then. The latest issue with the list of budget muscle has this site as one of the resources for these cars. Rolling Eyes I don't agree with how they portray our cars as "ugly" (repeatedly), but at least someone is giving us recognition.

Look here for the love/hate comments previously mentioned:

https://www.g3gm.com/g3-project-pictures-f10/phr-s-laguna-progress-t395.htm
https://www.g3gm.com/general-discussion-f1/video-of-project-talladega-puke-puke-t818.htm
https://www.g3gm.com/ride-of-the-week-f24/congrats-to-steve-yoder-t1127.htm

Here's all he had to contribute:
https://www.g3gm.com/search.forum?search_author=Johnny+Hunkins&show_results=posts

to be honest, i wasnt a huge fan of the cars myself, until deals to by a 67 barracuda fastback, 71 charger, and several other cars went bad, and the 64 1/2 mustang convertible my grandparents planned on giving me to inherit that they bought new in 1963 had to be sold to pay to put my grandfather in a home due to alzheimers (or however its spelled), i settled on my 74 el camino, which was planned on being a turn and burn my girlfriends dad built with leftover parts from other projects, and i can honestly say im glad i did, sure, its not a 70 challenger, olds 442, or gto judge, but its never let me down, i can haul stuff, and ive had a lot of great memories in it the last two years. not to mention all the work ive done to it to get it as nice as it i wouldnt have even been able to afford cause id still be paying off any of the cars i mentioned above for a couple more years...so i cant really complain, these cars aren't the best looking stock, but with the right stance they still look better than 95% of the stuff on the road, and with the money you save in buying a less popular car, you can get them going so fast that the only thing anyones gonna see is your tail lights as you fly by them anyways. i love my elco, and ill never get rid of it.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:07 am

orange Juiced wrote:seats have to go!

Chip Foose Overhaulin' '77 El Camino - Page 2 DSC00224

for some reason i like the console

seriously, save the spaco seats for a honda civic or some other rice rocket.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:23 am

LOL TWB, I'm probably the only guy to say I'd rather have a G3 believe it or not. I've owned several A-bodies, my first one was a 70 Chevelle. For some reason I'd rather have the later models. That's the reason I traded Dan (BlackChevelleSS) two 71 Chevelles for a 73. I also got a 72 Cutty project with a 455 that I'm up in the air about selling since I already have 2 Chevelles. I'm probably gonna end up keeping it mainly because I'm an Olds guy & can't bring myself to part with my only BBO powered car.

Wow, I just noticed that everyone is knocking the seats, but what is an eyesore for me is the dashpad! Someone needs slapped for that crappy job. Everything else in the interior looks OK to me. I guess we all have our opinions though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:29 am

Rago wrote:LOL TWB, I'm probably the only guy to say I'd rather have a G3 believe it or not. I've owned several A-bodies, my first one was a 70 Chevelle. For some reason I'd rather have the later models. That's the reason I traded Dan (BlackChevelleSS) two 71 Chevelles for a 73. I also got a 72 Cutty project with a 455 that I'm up in the air about selling since I already have 2 Chevelles. I'm probably gonna end up keeping it mainly because I'm an Olds guy & can't bring myself to part with my only BBO powered car.

Wow, I just noticed that everyone is knocking the seats, but what is an eyesore for me is the dashpad! Someone needs slapped for that crappy job. Everything else in the interior looks OK to me. I guess we all have our opinions though.

i love the chevelles, but we already got two of them in the fam. dream car for me is a 70-72 monte carlo, 68-69 chevelle, 68-72 cutlass/442, or 68-72 skylark/gs...too bad your in OK, i'd LOVE to take that olds off your hands, too bad i dont still live in texas. but yeah man...not feeling the dash either, its like they tried to go lambo or ferrarri with the leather wrap on the dash, but the seats are still the worst. im glad there are people out there who love the 73-77's though.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:49 am

Chip Foose Overhaulin' '77 El Camino - Page 2 Red10

Here's about the best pic I have on the computer. I've had this one for a few years & before me, my cousin had it.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:55 am

Rago wrote:Chip Foose Overhaulin' '77 El Camino - Page 2 Red10

Here's about the best pic I have on the computer. I've had this one for a few years & before me, my cousin had it.

looks pretty good for a project. is that just a roller or have you had the chance to fire her up with that 455?
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:59 am

The seats suck. Belong in a space shuttle...or a ricer...or a boat.
I didn't notice the dash 'til you guys said something-Lazy/quick way to cover the cracks that you know are there. All g3 dashes crack and that's a quick fix. Probably before you could get the covers that are available now.

We all had/have other cars TW, but the beauty part of the G3 is that you don't see them everywhere. When you show up in that El Camino, I can pretty much promise you that it will be the only one like it on the lot. 64-72 chevelles are awesome, mustangs are cool and just about everybody likes Camaros.....But those cars are all a dime a dozen and frankly a little boring to me. I've had 4 mustangs, 2 65s and 2 fox GTs, lot of fun and easy to find parts for, but not exactly unique.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemonte87 Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:39 pm

All g3 dashes crack and that's a quick fix
Mine's not cracked! But what is the quick fix if it ever does crack?

I totally agree about the interior, it's just terrible. I also dislike the painted rear bumper, It looks cheap. I was really hot on putting a Laguna nose on my Camino, but after alot of thought I decided I liked the Classic front end. It's also lighter, which is never a bad thing. (Sorry Limey to leave you hanging on the Nose a while back, indecision and finacial shortages were holding that up)
bluemonte87
bluemonte87
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:37 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:

We all had/have other cars TW, but the beauty part of the G3 is that you don't see them everywhere. When you show up in that El Camino, I can pretty much promise you that it will be the only one like it on the lot. 64-72 chevelles are awesome, mustangs are cool and just about everybody likes Camaros.....But those cars are all a dime a dozen and frankly a little boring to me. I've had 4 mustangs, 2 65s and 2 fox GTs, lot of fun and easy to find parts for, but not exactly unique.

thats a good way to look at it, and your right, there are some around where i live, but their all pretty torn up. my gets driven daily, has a ding where some idiot hit it with a shopping cart, and some small scratches in the paint, but i still havent seen a nicer one over where i live, so it was really cool to get on here and see your cars that are just as nice and even nicer than mine, they are def. unique.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:41 pm

[quote="bluemonte87"]

That crappy looking vinyl cover in the pictures.
Now there is a decent looking cover sold that is very similar to the original dash-Paddock and OPG sell them..not bad from what I hear,

Dashes Direct will re-furbish an original but they charge big wampum to do it.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Mines not cracked either Very Happy

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 pm

You guys are lucky! my 74 malibu dash was cracked when I bought it in 1985!
My lagunas dash is cracked in one small place now.
Keep your eyes on the speaker area, that's where it will start.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:20 pm

[quote="Roadcaptain S3"][quote="bluemonte87"]

you guys are lucky, mines super cracked, luckily i found a dude that says hes got a pretty solid one, its got cracks, but i know it wont be nearly as bad as mine, mines caved in on the top, i got one of those dash covers but they look pretty tacky too, i think im gonna get one of those carpet dash covers instead....my interior is brown though, and fugly to boot.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:00 pm

When I had my 74 Malibu, that dash was trashed. But I put a dash cap on, did it the right way, and you couldn't tell it was a dash cap. Only guys like us that know what to look for would have been able to tell.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:07 pm

i guess you got a point there, my dash pad isnt fitted right, plus it just bothers me, im thinking about taking a class at school in the automotive program and learning how to make my own dashes, and trying to make repro ones and sell them, now might be a good time to come up with something like that with the increasing interest in the g3's
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 am

I've yet to see a dash pad, installed correctly or not that is perfect. Maybe at quick glance, you won't notice it, but you can always tell.

I would recommend saving up and having Just Dashes fix it the right way. They strip every dash down to the shell and rebuild them by hand. They're pricy, but they come back looking better than they did from the factory.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next