G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 El Camino

+6
77mali
driveit
Wallyuph
alowerlevel
Brainstain
pila
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

73 El Camino Empty 73 El Camino

Post by LS_Quest Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:00 pm

We'll be doing some bolt-on upgrades in the next month or two. Thought we could start a thread here to keep track of the progress. I had posted the LS1tech build thread in my introduction section, but here it is again just to put it all in one place. Not a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo, but lots of good pics and couple of videos.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1605636-1973-el-camino-ls-swap.html

The upgrades will be:
1) 94-96 Rear axle from an Impala SS / Caprice with Posi and discs (if we can find one: check the 'Wanted' section if you have one, know of one, or have a lead)
2) C5 Front brake kit
3) Front bushing kit, tie rods, ball joints
4) Rear adjustable control arm kit
5) Aluminum fuel lines front to rear
6) Front and Rear sway bar kit
7) Anything else we can think of that fits within buget, and will help improve perfromance

We will be taking the car to LS Fest in early September and competing for the title of Holley LS Fest 2014 Grand Champion. lol
I laugh because we went last year as spectators and know the level of competition. However, not all entrants make an attempt at all the events that make up the Grand Champion. Most cars are there for drag racing and are set up as such. But, there are several other events that they struggle with or don't bother to compete in at all;
Countryside Cruise: With scavanger hunt for points
Autocross: Self-explanitory
3S Challange: Stop-n-Go with a U-turn in the middle
Show & Shine: Self-explanitory
My son, Clay, will be handling the driving duties. We have not attempted anything like this before, so we will be upgrading and getting in some practice whenever we can.

Link to LS Fest website:
http://www.holley.com/LSFest/

So, stay tuned for the upgrades, pics, and videos...
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

73 El Camino Empty Re: 73 El Camino

Post by dynchel Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:50 pm

dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:17 pm

When we were in a car club a few years back one of the member came in with a really nice leather jacket from I think Hot August nights car show in Vegas. We asked how he got it and he said he looked at the entry and there was no one entered for the category of his rental car so he got some free samples and detailed the car that night before the show and entered his rental car. Well you guessed it he won. He said he wondered what the rental company thought when they got there car back cleaner than when it left inside out and under the hood.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:00 pm

The rental car thing is quite funny ! Very Happy  My first El Camino was a '73, which I eventually traded in on a new '77 Classic.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:24 pm

That is an awesome can and an awesome build. Great job you guys!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the replys.
Brownbomer77 is gonna' hook us up with the axle; the one he had advertised with the 4.75" stud conversion!!! What a huge relief that is.
Next on the list is the PST front end kit and C5 front brake kit.
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:27 pm

Here is a link to the C5 brake kit...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1977-CHEVELLE-EL-CAMINO-C5-Corvette-13-Disc-Brake-Kit-Tall-Spindles/371094409132?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23823%26meid%3D8033962968939863495%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D10177%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D231242293179
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 pm

And here is a link to the PST front end kit...
http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.598/.f?sc=12

LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:35 pm

I'm having fitment problems with my truck pan so I bought an H3 /GM muscle car pan. What engine mounts did you use?

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:13 pm

We went with these...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-4592?seid=srese1&gclid=CIfc-uaop78CFc8F7AoduR4ATg

Worked perfect. They set the engine/bellhousing surface in the same exact position as the sbc.
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:05 pm

If all goes well, we'll be meeting up with brownbomber77 to exchange some cash for the rear axle assembly he was advertising; the one with the converted 5x4.75 bolt pattern. This was the biggest piece of the puzzle that we thought might not get done before LS Fest.
Thank you brownbomber77!

Looks like we will gather all the parts we will be needing before we start any work. The car is my Sons dd, so we need to keep the down-time to a minimum.

Stay tuned for more progress...
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Brainstain wrote:I'm having fitment problems with my truck pan so I bought an H3 /GM muscle car pan.  What engine mounts did you use?

I would go with the Holley retro fit pan. I tried the the CTS-V and its here in the box as it did not clear cross-member. http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/LS-oil-pan-dimensions.php

The holley one fit like a stock 350 oil pan. I got mine from summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-302-1.

I used Dirty dingo mounts and they were perfect.
http://dirtydingo.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_206_305_322
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Anyone running fiberglass front and/or rear bumpers? I've seen them all over the internet, and they weigh 5lbs each. Not sure what the factory weight is front and rear, but this has to be a huge weight savings. Anyone know what the factory bumper weight? I'm guessing about 100lbs each?
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:05 pm

I gutted the crash brace for some savings, but I never actually weighed the whole bumper itself. This should give you a idea of what I mean. Very Happy 73 El Camino <a href=73 El Camino Photobucket-47609-1362491268978_zps441525d8" />
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:53 am

Wallyuph wrote:
Brainstain wrote:I'm having fitment problems with my truck pan so I bought an H3 /GM muscle car pan.  What engine mounts did you use?

I would go with the Holley retro fit pan. I tried the the CTS-V and its here in the box as it did not clear cross-member. http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/LS-oil-pan-dimensions.php

The holley one fit like a stock 350 oil pan. I got mine from summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-302-1.

I used Dirty dingo mounts and they were perfect.
http://dirtydingo.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_206_305_322

Strange, I used the ctsv pan on mine and it dropped right in with no problems using The Car Shop 1" setback plates.  And I even dropped it in with the stock th350 still in the car.  Only mod I had to do to the pan was to cut about an inch off one of the bosses sticking out the side of the pan for clearance (the ctsv oil cooler bolts to the bosses which I dont need).
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 am

All I know is if some thing can go wrong or not fit it will be me that it happens to.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Received the rear axle from brownbomber77 today! Will post pics later.
We're getting excited for LS Fest coming up in a little over a month. Been gathering parts... stay tuned.
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:37 pm

Pics of the axle taken this evening...

73 El Camino IMAG0354

73 El Camino IMAG0353

I know... not that exciting. But when it's in your own backyard waiting for installation it's pretty cool.
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:16 pm

I would be excited. I am happy any time I get to spend a few minutes working on mine no matter what it is.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm excited & it's not even mine...LOL

Looks good!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 pm

I'm excited and I just finished doing this. Couldn't find one with disk breaks for a decent price but an Auburn posi and 3.23s, why wouldn't I. . . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:33 pm

Well, we've gathered almost everthing to get started this Friday. We've got the rear axle, rear control arms, C5 front brake kit, front end rebuild kit, And, if we don't have it, it well be here by Thursday at the latest. Only things we're waiting on are the front and rear sway bars, rear brake hoses at the calipers, line-lock, proportioning valve, and some fuel line. I'm sure we're missing something, but hopefully by Sunday afternoon the El Camino is back on all-fours and ready to go.
We'll try our best to take pictures as we go. Sometimes it's hard to stop for a minute and snap a few, as you all know.
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Oh yeah...
If anyone can think of something we might be missing based on the parts we're working with, don't hesitate to chime in. Need all the help and advice we can get. Thanks.

-Dan
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:13 pm

Do you have extra tubing and a tubing bender to plumb out the line lock? Or maybe someone who can make you the 2 lines out of brakes hose? Also, tubing cutter with reamer for cutting and cleaning up the tubes.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by LS_Quest Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Joe73 wrote:Do you have extra tubing and a tubing bender to plumb out the line lock?  Or maybe someone who can make you the 2 lines out of brakes hose?  Also, tubing cutter with reamer for cutting and cleaning up the tubes.  

Yep. Got several cutters/reamers and benders. Waiting to get the tubing to confirm thread sizes and we have all the major auto parts chains within a mile or two, so no problem there. Good suggestions. Thank you.
LS_Quest
LS_Quest
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next