G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car Covers currently in use-Thoughts ?

4 posters

Go down

Car Covers currently in use-Thoughts ? Empty Car Covers currently in use-Thoughts ?

Post by jaybee Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:29 am

Hay guys, I recently purchased a 77 boo, and want to buy a cover for winter storage. Best case mama let's me keep it in the garage attached to house, concrete floor & insulated--no heat. Worst case it is banned to the pole shed with dirt floor. I have had fitted cover's in years past for my old vette and would prefer fitted again, however I am open to suggestions. Definitely want one that breathes and won't hold moisture to /on / in car. Looking for ideas on what cover you are currently using, how long you have had it , how it is holding up. I don't mind paying a little more up front for something that will last longer.

Thanks guys.
jaybee
jaybee
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Car Covers currently in use-Thoughts ? Empty Re: Car Covers currently in use-Thoughts ?

Post by Joe73 Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:09 am

The issue with using a cover while stored outside, even with a breathable cover, is the morning dew on the hood, roof and trunk lid.  Especially the roof.  Because of temperature change throughout the day, dew will form, usually in the morning as temps rise a bit.  So you now have moisture on your roof and the cover lying directly on it.  The cover will soak up a bit of moisture and the process of evaporation is slowed.  This is especially a problem is a car is left in prime.  Prime is porous.  Moisture, especially morning dew goes right through the primer onto the metal.  Rust then starts from the bottom and works its way to the surface.  Usually showing itself after the car has been painted.  As for the heat of the summer, a cover can leave an imprint on the flat surfaces of the car that have been baked.  I've seen that several times and the paint damage is not easy to fix.  

My opinion is, that if you have to leave it outside, spring for a cheap tent.  Maybe something like this.   https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/carports-shelters/fabric-carports-shelters/shelterlogic-max-all-purpose-10-x-20-canopy-6-leg-white/31757/p-1444441927798-c-10153.htm?tid=6899415671622133052&ipos=1
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Car Covers currently in use-Thoughts ? Empty Re: Car Covers currently in use-Thoughts ?

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:17 pm

I would be worried about the wind flapping the cover against the car wearing the paint away.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:52 pm

For my 2012 Malibu that sits outside I used a waterproof cover that has soft fabric on the under side. Only thing I would suggest , buy one size larger then your vehicle so it fits better and won't blow off. Any vehicle on grass or dirt lay plastic vapor barrier down and then 5/8 plywood to keep moisture from the earth moving up.
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down