G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1973 Chevelle Frame Condition

3 posters

Go down

1973 Chevelle Frame Condition Empty 1973 Chevelle Frame Condition

Post by 73sssb Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:26 pm

While shopping around for a better price for body work and paint, I began to think about the condition of my frame. I do not have the money or space to take the body of the car and blast/repaint the entire frame.

I was wondering what a majority of you have done to your frames. Is it ok to just keep it the way it is? Should I scrape off what I can and hand paint as much as I can with some sort of protective coating?

I'm going to cross my fingers and post a link to some pictures I took tonight. I know it's hard to judge from a computer screen - but how would you rate the overall condition of my frame? Would it be a bad idea to restore everything else, yet leave the frame? I'm looking for driver quality - it won't be a show car when it's done.

Let me know. Here is the link...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrxv5gx2gpvzc0b/AADpEMd_zhyW0bP_-du-khaKa?dl=0

73sssb
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

1973 Chevelle Frame Condition Empty Re: 1973 Chevelle Frame Condition

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 pm

Nothing wrong with that frame. Soak the oily parts in degreaser then power wash or scrub as clean as you can. Repeat if necessary, then paint at least the visible parts if it really needs it. You might be surprised at how good it looks due to the oil coating.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 73sssb Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 am

That's good to hear. Ive watched a few how to videos on YouTube for random things on old cars and after comparing to mine - I thought - it doesn't look that bad!

Glad to hear it confirmed by at least one other person. If I run into anything suspicious while cleaning I'll post an individual picture of it.

Sent from Topic'it App

73sssb
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:06 am

Good idea to take a flashlight and look up at the bottom body mounts.  The ones inside the frame.  Sometimes you can see rot around the rubber if it got that far.   But there could still be rot under the rubber itself that hasn't shown yet.  Just something to check.  I've seen frames that look great but the bushing pushed through the frame.  They do make a repair piece if that happens.  Looks like a big washer.  You trace it, cut it out, weld it in.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down