G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frame interchange quesiton, Chevelle to Lemans

+5
jerry46765
77mali
maliburacinfreak
74MonteCarlo
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
9 posters

Go down

Frame interchange quesiton, Chevelle to Lemans Empty Frame interchange quesiton, Chevelle to Lemans

Post by Joe73 Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:18 am

Happy Holidays guys!!! A buddy of mine has located a 73 Lemans that I'm interested in and I'll be taking a look at it this weekend. I'm only really looking to grab the chassis out of it so I'll be parting out the rest.
I know the wheelbase is the same as well as the overall length. Anyone know if there are any differences that wouldnt allow the swap? I searched the net and I did find this statement which I find hard to believe.

Although, in 1973, the "Lemans" was no longer an A-bodied model...it was now built on the 2 door version of the B-body cars...I.E. Bonniville, Catalina, Grandville.....and in 1974 (the last year)...it was built on a totally different concept...on the Pontiac version of the Chevrolet Nova....a Ventura chassis....but GTO was still only an option with no designating VIN.

Looking for any info regarding swap problems that might pose a problem. Also, any idea if the gas tank is the same? I know the 73 chevelle and Lemans both had the tank fill behind the license plate in the bumper. I'd like to keep the extra tank, if its good, because mine has been "sumped" and looks pretty cool.

Anyone need any parts? Definitely looking to get rid of all the major parts ASAP. Engine, tranny, NOSE, DOORS, etc. Any ideas what a complete nose is going for nowadays?

Thanks alot guys and HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Frame interchange quesiton, Chevelle to Lemans Empty Re: Frame interchange quesiton, Chevelle to Lemans

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:05 pm

im fairly certain that it was still an a body in 73...you may want to confirm with kyle though he knows more than me.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Frame interchange quesiton, Chevelle to Lemans Empty Re: Frame interchange quesiton, Chevelle to Lemans

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Where the hell did you get that info? I have never heard that before. That's asinine. Should all be the same, Chevelle to LeMans.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:36 pm

74MonteCarlo wrote:Where the hell did you get that info? I have never heard that before. That's asinine. Should all be the same, Chevelle to LeMans.

+1
i know in 74, the GTO was basically a ventura but the lemans was still a-body. whoever gave you that info is F***ing retarded

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:49 pm

I thought it was crazy as well. Here's where I found it. 6th comment down written by Mel on Aug. 2nd 2011.

http://midfloridacruisers.com/group/pontiacs_youngandold?commentId=4856756%3AComment%3A118732&xg_source=activity

Thanks for the info guys. I just looking to see if anyone has had a problem with a pontiac frame.

Whats a complete nose going for these days? Door prices??
Thanks again!!
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:34 pm

No question...the '73-'77 Lemans/Grand Am were "A" body. There were a small number of '73 GTO's built, too.

As for doors, if they are dent/rust free, I know I'd be paying at least $100/ea at the yards up here. Then again, rust-free anything up here is like gold.

Not sure what a nose would bring. They aren't as valuable as the urethane noses on the Grand Am...and those are being reproduced, by the way. I've worked with a couple guys restoring these cars and I know much of the interior trim pcs are interchangeable with other "A" bodies.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:54 pm

B body's back then were the big boys....Buick Electra & such. LOL!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Check out the frame openings on front/rear where bumpers connect. They vary based year / make / model. Also engine crossmember holes vary and also trans mount. Just because the wheelbase and width are the same doesn't assure a direct bolt-in.

I had a Steve Smith stock car manual which detailed the differences in A-body chassis. Good info is out there if you look long enough.

Since you already have the two, park them side by side and do lots of measuring. Drilling a few holes in the engine crossmember is no big deal but if the body mount holes were off an inch, that could be painful.

Why do you need to change the frame?

Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm taking a look at the lemans on saturday and if it looks good, I'll be picking it up. My current frame I had dipped in acid for 3 days and then dipped in galvanized steel. So it has that metallic flake look just like a garbage can. I also did the front upper and lower control arms. Since all my house projects are done and I have lots of free time, I'd like to put it back to stock and then sell my frame. My wife thinks I'm nuts since she remembers when I dipped the frame in '89 and did the swap.
I know that lemans has been sitting for over 9 years in a driveway not in the weeds.
The guy supposedly put in a new rad a couple of years ago and changed the body bushing in '94. So the bolts should come out easier. He also says he changed the spindles to ones that accept a larger outer bearing, whatever that means. Didnt really get into anything about the car except the frame. He says he also have a brand new fuel line kit for it and a complete stainless brake line kit for it. He also says that it ran and drove good when he parked it. It also has duals on it. I'd like to get rid of all the major parts pretty quickly so to just have the body on the frame.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:10 pm

For what it's worth, I've got two dual hump crossmembers...one I pulled off a '74 Lemans and the other off a '73 Chevelle and they are identical.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:For what it's worth, I've got two dual hump crossmembers...one I pulled off a '74 Lemans and the other off a '73 Chevelle and they are identical.

COOL! Thats another thing I'll yank off the lemans if I get it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm not sure about the earlier A bodies, but my 1977 Fisher Body Manual calls the LeMans an A body, with style numbers the same as Chevelle & Malibu, which are 29, 35, and 37.

The model 29 is a 4-door sedan, the model 35 is a station wagon, and the model 37 is a 2-door coupe, according to the manual.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Ok, just got back from looking at the lemans. Had a decent, not great nose. Rest of the car, rusted out. There was even moisture on the inside of all the glass. Good wheels with some 60's all around was the only good thing on it. Guy said he had the larger spindles and rotors on the front, new brake lines, heavier front sway bar and heavy aftermarket rear bar. And bilstein shocks. Rest of the car was shot. It was a 350, 4 bbl. Only salvageable parts were the 2 bumpers and maybe the taillights that were decent.

Well, no rush for me, I'll keep looking around. Happy Holidays guys !!!!!!!!!!
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:02 pm

Why are you doing this ? Is there a reason, did the galvanizing make it brittel? Just wondering.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:36 pm

No, not at all. Looks pretty cool too. Just going back to more original. And I'll be selling the galvanized one.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down